Oil filter for Ford Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Picked up a 2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer today with the 5.4L.

I intend on changing the oil in the next few weeks and wondering what people are running on their 4.6L and 5.4L Ford engines?

I have had good luck with OEM Motorcraft and Purolator PureONE filters on this engine with my parent's vehicles, but have considered picking up some (non SYNTEQ, since they don't make them) Donaldson or Fleetguard filters, since they are superb quality as well......

Thoughts?

I've used the M1 filter in my 96 Merc GM 4.6 with good results. Also used 10-30 and 5-30 M1 oil. 205,000 miles on the car with no problems with the engine or tranny, M1 ATF. Great running engines. Very smooth and quite.

M1 filters are not available in Canada, or I'd be all over them. EaO's would be an option except for the price
frown.gif

How about the Pure 1? It has good numbers from what I can tell. Am thinking about using it myself.. See my post on page 2, pure one OCI. What do you think?

It (PureONE) is an 18 dollar filter here. I'm not paying that.

bdcardinal: That appears to be my most appealing option, though I do have a hankering for another Donaldson filter collection
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
If it was me, I would just use the least expensive filter I could find.
In my area every Walmart has all Mobil 1 filters priced at $7

Here is a list of FL-820 equivalent filters cut open.

http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/index.html

LOL, I have a case of Donaldson SYNTEQ filters for my 302's
wink.gif

Depending on the price of the Donaldson and Fleetguard filters though will determine if I buy them or the Motorcraft ones.

I do not believe the Motorcraft filters we get in Canada to be the same as you get in the USA.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
EAO? Works great for me and I can push 'em to 20,000KM according to Terry.

Too much money. That's why I went the Donaldson route for the 302's, they were less expensive.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Yeah but if you run for 20,000KM they aren't bad at all, and the filter can stand up to more than this IMO.

But the Donaldson filters are basically the same filter
wink.gif
Remember, Donaldson makes the SYNTEQ media that AMSOIL uses
grin2.gif

And Pabs has just confirmed that Donaldson even makes some of the EaO filters......

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

wink.gif

Depending on the price of the Donaldson and Fleetguard filters though will determine if I buy them or the Motorcraft ones.

I do not believe the Motorcraft filters we get in Canada to be the same as you get in the USA.

Does the 302 use the FL1A? You could probably change out the threaded nipple on the oil filter mount and use the FL1A equivalent on the 4.6 instead of having to stock 2 different filters.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

wink.gif

Does the 302 use the FL1A? You could probably change out the threaded nipple on the oil filter mount and use the FL1A on the 4.6 instead of having to stock 2 different filters.

Seriously? Yeah, it does...... I have 10 of them (Donaldson version of the FL1A with SYNTEQ media) left still.....

This can just be swapped out? I've never actually compared the two filters. If the only difference in terms of compatibility is the threads.....wow.

Last edited by a moderator:
They may have just adapted the filter thread. That's what they did on the 4.0 V6 (the OHC one). The right angled mount was 3/4-16 at the block (the hollow bolt) ..but the oil cooler hollow bolt was 22.5x1.5M on the filter end.

If not for the cooler, it would have been an FL1A setup. I'm unsure (in that app.) if the right angle mount was also 22.5x1.5M on the cooler end ..or just the cooler's hollow bolt. Either way it wasn't going to work unless you had an older Modine cooler that had 3/4-16 on both ends of the hollow cooler bolt (filter extension).

Since you're in Canada, another good option is the Quaker State filters sold at Canadian Tire for $6.99...they're made by Purolator, aren't they?

How does the MC 820 stack up to the Pure 1? Numbers wise. Do they sell MC filters at WM in Canada? If so how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back