Oil filter flows and observations, a layman's test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I get nit picked to death let me state up front I know this is not scientific by any means, it was FUN and very interesting none the less.

Since I'm a hopeless typical BITOG'er I have on hand a large number of varied oil filters of various makes for my Jeep, I picked one up to blow in it and test the ADBV, one thing led to another, and I ended up doing multiple comparisons of all the filters for quite a while. I was surprised how consistent the results seemed, and I was also surprised how easily I could tell the difference between the filters.

On hand, all new and unused:

Fram Extended Guard XG8A - (old model w/7k warranty). (1)
Fram PH8A Orange Can (1)
Purolator PureOne PL30001 (2 of them)
Baldwin B2 (2 of them)
Motorcraft FL-1A (1)
Mopar M090 (same applications as above but not oversize - (1)
Napa Gold 1515 (1)

First the "blow testing". In all of the above filters the ADBV quickly sealed except one, the Wix made Napa Gold would not seal no matter how many times I tried, or different ways I tried, to get it to seal. I think that particular filter is defective since every other filter quickly sealed when blown into. I'll be returning it, though that might be an interesting conversation at the parts counter hah hah.

Then I did the "suck test" to test FLOW. This is harder to do, as some filters wouldn't kick out the ADBV unless I really gave it a hard shot. I'm certain this would be of little to no concern on your engine, but once the ADBV was open I could tell dramatic differences in the amount of air I could suck through the filter. I found it interesting as this would be the direction the oil would also normally flow.

The results:

1) Baldwin B2 - No contest by far the easiest filter to open and draw air through.
2) Purolator PureOne's - Notable difference from the B2 but still was a very easy filter to open and draw a large amount of air through.
3) Fram PH8A - It was much harder to pop the ADBV on this filter than the other two above it, but once popped air flow seemed to be only a hair less than that of the PureOne, it flowed very well.
3) Napa Gold Wix 1515 - This filters still seemed to flow well but was clearly next in line in difficulty. I had no trouble starting the flow as I couldn't get this filter to seal anyway.
4) Motorcraft FL-1A and Mopar M090 - Both of these filters were very hard to pop, and once popped it was clear both were harder to draw air through than the Wix. I found it interesting I could not tell any difference between the two even though one was oversized for the application and one was "standard".
5) Fram XG8A - This filter was also hard to pop, and once popped was flat out difficult to draw air through.

I imagine many of us have done this with filters but I've never done it side by side, I thought the results were interesting anyway, thought I'd share.

Not sure what to say, but as you know air is very different than oil. And air is in a gas state of matter and oil is in a liquid state of matter.

I once bought a salvage boat and the gas tank was filled with water but it did not leak a drop. Got all the water out and filled with gas and it leaked like a sieve.

11.gif

Thanx for sharing! Interesting for sure if not scientific. Cause you know so much here is
wink.gif

Don't worry about any nit picking.

Update:

Took the Napa Gold / Wix back today. The very patient counter person happily let me exchange it, however it is the same! Either there is a bad run of these out there OR (more likely) the Wix is different.

Anybody else have this problem or issue with Napa Golds?

Well KC, you sucked me into it.....
lol.gif

Doing the change on the G6 yesterday and I was getting ready to put the filter on and thought...oh why not! So before I oiled the gasket I gave your test a try. I will say, the Baldwin offered almost no resistance at all on the "suck test". The "blow test" was also the same, no way I could get anything through it.

I have a couple more M1s for the G6, I may try them yet
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: cp3
Well KC, you sucked me into it.....
lol.gif

Doing the change on the G6 yesterday and I was getting ready to put the filter on and thought...oh why not! So before I oiled the gasket I gave your test a try. I will say, the Baldwin offered almost no resistance at all on the "suck test". The "blow test" was also the same, no way I could get anything through it.

I have a couple more M1s for the G6, I may try them yet
blush.gif

lol.gif

I've also tested a few more since I posted. Still seeing consistent results. All the Puro's I've tested have been very easy to open but seal well on blow back. I've had problems with Puro's ADBV's draining out on me, I wonder if it is related to how easy they are to open?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I've had problems with Puro's ADBV's draining out on me, I wonder if it is related to how easy they are to open?

Probably leaky ADBVs. If you blow into the center hole and you hear air escaping out the small holes in the base plate, then the ADBV is not sealing 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back