oil filter causes catastrophic engine damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE

If I had the 3.6L DI GM engine, I wouldn't use anything other than the factory AC Delco PF63 oil filter. In that case, if anything should happen, GM would be buying the repair and at least you have someone that would hopefully stand behind the damage.

+1 here.

Sometimes you need to think before you let the guy down at "Quick-O Tire" work on your car.

Sometimes when you save, you really lose.

Best of luck.

To all who have posted my subject, thanks especially ZeeOSix, for this input "The bypass valve only opens up when the delta-p across the filter media is higher than what the bypass valve is set to open at. It has nothing to do with the engine oil pressure you see on the dashboard"

I sent this statement to Travelers the insurance company representing Monroe giving them one more chance to settle. Lo and behold, I got this email

"Mr. R...:
The insured, Monro Muffler Brake, has agreed to reimburse the cost of the repair, $2358.70. They have instructed me to seek contribution from the supplier of the oil filter. You may, in the future, get a phone call from a representative of Ziway as they are the supplier of the oil filter.
Please provide your address where you would like me to send the check.
Thanks."

Of course, I will be more pleased when the check is in hand, saves me court time and aggravation, again thanks .... George

^^^ That's good news that they are going to pay for the repairs.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: GT350H
sorry for the delay, and thank you for your input
/Users/gryon/Dropbox/IMG_8457.jpg
/Users/gryon/Dropbox/IMG_8448.jpg
/Users/gryon/Dropbox/IMG_8453.jpg

The links you posted above of the photos don't work, and it would be interesting to see the photos. Maybe try and post them up again.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ That's good news that they are going to pay for the repairs.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: GT350H
sorry for the delay, and thank you for your input
/Users/gryon/Dropbox/IMG_8457.jpg
/Users/gryon/Dropbox/IMG_8448.jpg
/Users/gryon/Dropbox/IMG_8453.jpg

The links you posted above of the photos don't work, and it would be interesting to see the photos. Maybe try and post them up again.

Just go to http://tinypic.com/ and upload the pics then past the link that says forum.

Very easy and its free and takes only a few seconds.. I post pictures all the time and its very easy with the site named above and we would all love to see the pics.

Check in and cashed, almost painless, obviously less painful than court. This was the key to settling the claim "The bypass valve only opens up when the delta-p across the filter media is higher than what the bypass valve is set to open at." something three GM service managers knew nothing about. That statement apparently made the claim adjuster rethink his statement "The piece in question is between the metal casing and the element. They feel the piece in question would never have made it through the element into the engine as it is the job of the element to stop particles from entering the engine."

Happy camper in Cape May, NJ, thanks to all and this forum, GT350H

Ziway is the supplier of the oil filter.

Are they a distributer? Not familiar with the name. Ziway is not the manufacturer of the oil filter?

Just seeking clarification, because Purolator was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back