Oil Extractor Pump Recommendations

While I always remove the oil drain plug when available to service my vehicles, I have several applications where I need to extract used oil using a pump of some kind. These include a boat (Diesel M25 engine) and a lawnmower. Was wondering what the readership on this forum use?

Have identified several approaches: a manual suction pump, like a giant syringe, a smaller 12-volt electric powered pump attached to the vehicle's battery, or a 120-volt AC extractor like this one....

Recommendations and feedback welcome!

This little guy rips, and I like that it connects to the battery/jump posts. Sucks all 6qts out of my van no problem. Just gotta warm up the oil a bit first otherwise it’ll take a while but it’ll do it.

Mityvac pneumatic or manual version.

61EsakUIjLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This little guy rips, and I like that it connects to the battery/jump posts. Sucks all 6qts out of my van no problem. Just gotta warm up the oil a bit first otherwise it’ll take a while but it’ll do it.

They have those on Amazon et all, looks like same thing except fruitier colors, for lower cost.

Here's one on a special promo, only $11 with the 5% coupon:

I’m on mityvac manual #2 (gave the first to a friend). If I get another, I might get the compressed air version next, though the manual travels well for house calls.

I have one of these generic 12V electric pumps, which are sold under various seller brands. Ordered one from Aliexpress for a bit less.

Used it a couple times. No issues with mine thus far, and it hasn't gone kaput like those in the bad reviews.

However, made the mistake of cleaning it out after the first time, robbed the gerotor pump mechanism of lubrication, and found it seized up the second time I tried to use it.

Had to remove the cover and free it up, but it's three bolts and was an easy task.

Did consider one of the plastic vacuum pumps, but leery that every plastic pressure vessel I've ever encountered eventually develops leaks, or needs seals, and found it more difficult to find one with enough container capacity for a single pull, as well as being twice the cost or more.

Even if this electric pump craps out and I have to buy another, I'm still ahead, cost wise. But it's a relatively simple piece of kit, a 12v motor with a pump attached to it, and some electrical leads. Almost entirely metal.

Another consideration was that a suction pump can dispense directly into the disposal containers, without the need for an additional transfer from the extractor.

Either type, no matter , I'm happiest that I don't ever need to crawl under the car, deal with the potential mess of a drain, or have to remove belly pan covers to even reach that step.

The cheapo 12v pumps get the job done, and quite quickly.

One caveat.

Don't rely on the barbs to keep the hoses on the pump. Back them up with your choice of hose clamps.

Ask me how I know.

Cleaning up about a quart of HOT Motorcraft ULV off of the Acura, the side of the Ranger, and in the Ranger window tracks (Windows were down) was not fun. And I really couldn't move the truck out of the garage since there was no ATF in it and I needed power to move it out. So I had to finish the job before I could get it out to wash it off.

Didn't help I was powering it off of an 18V tool battery because it was easier than connecting it to 12v. Even off of 12v they are surprisingly fast.

I bought one of the big syringe types from Amazon. Brake fluid made the seal shrink and now it barely works at all.

Been using this one that Griots offers. Mine is a Pela and I believe this one is too (red caps on handle is the giveaway). Actually mine is one of the ancestors since I got it almost 30 years ago. Used hundreds of times on my cars as well as many friends/neighbors/strangers/enemies etc. ALWAYS works and gets all oil except maybe a couple drops in a few different cars (please don't start ANOTHER debate about oil extraction). Primarily for oil, but have used it for many other types of fluids including water. Portable so I've gone to where the action is and then transport to recycling. Never leaked or had to replace any seals etc. One of my best tool investments.

Another vote for a Mityvac. I don't have shop air available so I bought the one with the manual pump handle. It's easy enough to use. My Jaguar is designed to have the oil extracted out the top through a coaxial tube in the center of the fill tube. And the filter is a top mounted canister type. After about 50 years of crawling around underneath my cars to do an oil and filter change, using a top mounted extractor pump is actually a pleasure. It is almost a surgical like procedure. I do still wear nitrile gloves, keep a rag handy and work over a large drip pan but those are just precautions.

They do make two sizes so make sure you get one with enough capacity for your particular vehicle. They have gone up about 20% in the last three years. Just like everything else. But I'd buy another one tomorrow if need be.

The only thing to think about is if you still need to remove under body aerodynamic panels to access and remove the oil filter, using a top mounted extractor will help somewhat. But you still may have to deal with changing that filter and all that it entails.

I've been posting this thing for a few years. It works great!
If you don't have access to air, or need to work remotely, such as on your boat, this would be a good choice.
It doesn't hold a LOT of oil, like 5 quarts, but it is very easy to pour from and into another container.
20200224_090246.jpg

Back