Oil extraction via pump vs vacuum

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are people's thoughts of using an electric diaphragm pump to extract oil versus vacuum?
Pneumatic interest me too.

The idea is to have maximum and constant vacuum pressure, especially when the oil is cold. Also a pneumatic wouldn't have a pump to worry about.

MityVac vs. Pela 650
SHURflo Oil Change System
Pneumatic

Thanks

I used Mityvac 7201 to do oil change in my cars. It extracted 8 quarts in the E430 sump in about 10-15 minutes with warm oil.

While it siphoned the oil I changed the oil filter and 4 o-rings on the filter holder. When I finished the oil filter the Mityvac finished the extraction. I then pumped the used oil in containers for recycle.

I had Mityvac for more than 10 years, it paid itself long time ago for doing more than 20-25 oil changes and some ATF changes and some brake flushes.

Assuming the products all work, it really isn't that much trouble to pump the thing about 20 times to get the vacuum needed to extract fluid out. The volume of fluid is going to be just about the volume of air you pumped, and pumping 5-8quarts of air isn't that many pumps. It's not like you need to compress air to 100x the volume like you do when you need to get a tire to 40psi by hand.

The biggest thing you need to concern yourself about is the containment of fluid and reducing mess. Do not underestimate the mess that moving around 6quarts of fluid or making sure the tubes stay where you wan't them and don't slip out and start spouting oil all over the place.

This is why I think the standalone nature of the 7201 + the dispense feature is worth the extra cost.

Last edited:
My main concern with a hand vacuum pump is pumping 4 gallons of cold heavy weight diesel oil.

Originally Posted By: snakyjake
My main concern with a hand vacuum pump is pumping 4 gallons of cold heavy weight diesel oil.

There is very few hand pumps that have a container with 4 gallon capacity.

Why do you want to change oil when the engine is cold ? You can't do it when the engine is warm ?

Originally Posted By: JR
DoubleWasp, nice rig. I need one for the boat, etc.

Just a Harbor Freight diesel fuel pump with some step downs on the intake side. I was using that on a Volvo Penta 5.7 right there. Pumped out the cold oil in about 10 min.

I have the Topsider with hand pump. As long as the fluid is warm it works awesome. Only trouble was the rear diff on my truck. I only drove a couple miles, so it didn't warm up at all. It took a long while to suck out cold gear oil... Next time I would take it on the freeway to get it hot. Did the engine oil in the boat, my truck, and the LTD without any problems. Going to use it to do the trans oil in the LTD soon so I can avoid dropping the pan.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
I have the Topsider with hand pump. As long as the fluid is warm it works awesome. Only trouble was the rear diff on my truck. I only drove a couple miles, so it didn't warm up at all. It took a long while to suck out cold gear oil... Next time I would take it on the freeway to get it hot. Did the engine oil in the boat, my truck, and the LTD without any problems. Going to use it to do the trans oil in the LTD soon so I can avoid dropping the pan.

You were lucky to get a good working Topsider. I had it 14-15 years ago, it barely worked for no more than 2 oil changes. I bought Mityvac 7201 to replace it and Mityvac works well the last 12-13 years.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger

You were lucky to get a good working Topsider. I had it 14-15 years ago, it barely worked for no more than 2 oil changes. I bought Mityvac 7201 to replace it and Mityvac works well the last 12-13 years.

My Topsider worked well for a number of years, ca. 2003 until I found I couldn't use it to change oil on my Buick Park Avenue. So it sat for a while, empty. When I did try to use it again, the metal caps had rusted or seized, so I couldn't put the bicycle pump part in place.

If I ever have another car I can extract the oil from, I'll buy another, and make sure I put some anti-seize or something on the caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back