Oil during winter storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to start using redline 10w-30 on my next oil change. Now I store the car from Nov.-April. Could I get away with just 1 oil change a year. Change it before storage, run it during the summer and then change again before storage the next winter? Car is not a daily driver and only gets about 5000 miles a year.

[ June 15, 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: ramair8 ]

Sounds Like a plan.
smile.gif

My Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 3400 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 76000 Miles.

No problem
smile.gif
Just make sure that before you put it away it has been run up to temperature for a while-say 1/2 hour. This will make sure you get the water out of the oil . And when you do this-the warmer the day the better. This insures you get less condensation as it cools.

quote:

Originally posted by ramair8:
So the fresh oil sitting in the car will not really breakdown?

Thats why you are changing it.
wink.gif
Stick with your plan it sounds good.
cheers.gif

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 3400 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 76000 Miles.

[ June 15, 2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

I do the same only with Amsoil 5W-30. I change it and then drive the car about 20 or so miles to get it hot, mix it with the residual old oil and also fill the fuel tank at the same time. No problems here at all. Oh, and I don't start it once I put it away. I think that will lead to bigger problems as you won't really get it up to temp.

quote:

Originally posted by ramair8:
So the fresh oil sitting in the car will not really breakdown?

Nope, as long as that oil is relatively moisture free, it'll be just like new oil when you bring the car out in the spring. I cringe when I think of all the people who waste perfectly good oil by changing it a second time in the spring, when it is still brand new. The only time that should be done is if they were in the habit of starting and idling the vehicle during storage, which is a very bad habit by the way!

Same here, Every October or when the weather turns bad I change my 2002 Trans Am WS6 and park it till May. I am using Amsoil 10W30 100% synthetic. I NEVER start the car once its parked. Some just can't resist running theirs once a week or so but thats the worst thing you can do. Moisture forms in the engine and exhaust system leading to more problems.

For 20 yrs I had a 1964 Impala, did the same thing with that car and it always started right up in the spring. Only thing that was a problem on that car was battery's, At only about 1000 miles a year they never seemed to last beyond 3 yrs even though I would place a 2amp battery charger on for a week or so to build up the battery before firing it up. I never once added a thing to the fuel tank and never once had a problem. Sometimes if you listen to all things people do to there cars, its a wonder the even run. If you have to babys sit a car, you need to get a life.

quote:

Originally posted by Baveux:
Why they say 3000 miles or 3 months whichever come first then ??
confused.gif

Because they are assuming you're driving the car during those three months. So if someone drives their car only one mile to work and one mile home every day, then they should be going more by the time period than by mileage (although they still could go longer than 3 months, IMHO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back