Oil Drain vs Extraction

js
Did the dipstick read the same - as it would had you pulled the plug and refilled?
I like the idea to pull the oil pan plug anyways - after the 1st-ever extraction, just to see if any oil remains in the pan. Then tighten and refill.

Aren't you curious that some oil remained?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
js
Did the dipstick read the same - as it would had you pulled the plug and refilled?
I like the idea to pull the oil pan plug anyways - after the 1st-ever extraction, just to see if any oil remains in the pan. Then tighten and refill.

Oil remains in the pan after draining from the plug. When I read comments like this I question if the poster has removed an oil pan.

js

Before we did extraction we checked the level on dipstick. Also I made a mark with sharpie on plastic tube to a exact length of dipstick.
When we inserted the plastic tube in engine it actually went in past the sharpie mark and we felt that it bottomed out.

We put back in the same amount of new oil as the amount we extracted and the dipstick read very close to the level of before extraction.

Originally Posted by dave1251
js

Oil remains in the pan after draining from the plug. When I read comments like this I question if the poster has removed an oil pan.

We (most-all here) already know oil remains in the pan. What's being asked is - does any come out of the oil plug hole, after a new extraction thru the dipstick. Then whatever remains beyond what comes out of that hole...... duh... remains until more oil slowly drains back down to the pan.

When I read comments like yours, I question if you can comprehend what's written, prior to a sometimes needless reply.

I've been changing oil since 1969 BTW. Please try harder to be a happy person. Talking negatively can do your body harm.

Last edited:
Why would anymore oil come through the plug? Or are you one of the guys who likes to leave the plug off the oil pump loses prime?

Was I curious how much oil was left in that Matrix? Well, I wondered about it but wasn't concerned much.
As far as my Golf which I'll do for the first time by extraction, I am not concerned.
I've seen video on YT where they done extraction on exactly same engine as mine (1.8 TSI E888) and put the car on the lift afterwords and drained whatever was left and to their surprise they got less than 2oz. of oil out. So I am good with that.

Originally Posted by js1956
... they done extraction on exactly same engine as mine (1.8 TSI E888) and put the car on the lift afterwords and drained whatever was left and to their surprise they got less than 2oz. of oil out. ...
There shouldn't be much difference, if (and only if) the suction tube is reasonably straight and stiff enough not to curl aside on its way between the bottom of the dipstick tube and the bottom of the oil pan. That means the material of the tube is important. For that reason, I would not trust the thin, flexible coil of rubber hose that came with my cheap Harbor Freight manual pump.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by js1956
... they done extraction on exactly same engine as mine (1.8 TSI E888) and put the car on the lift afterwords and drained whatever was left and to their surprise they got less than 2oz. of oil out. ...
There shouldn't be much difference, if (and only if) the suction tube is reasonably straight and stiff enough not to curl aside on its way between the bottom of the dipstick tube and the bottom of the oil pan. That means the material of the tube is important. For that reason, I would not trust the thin, flexible coil of rubber hose that came with my cheap Harbor Freight manual pump.

Mity came with 2 different sizes of tubing with rigid walls and very stiff overall feel. If i could describe it, it would be close to a plastic version of very small diameter of PVC pipe. So yes, quite rigid and stiff.

I have 2 of those Mityvacs- one in my garage and one at my work. Awesome for transmissions (for those that actually have a dipstick) and great for mowers, Bobcats, generators, etc.

Or this . https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ctor-large-livestock-feeding#Post5448332 .
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I love mine. On my second. Lent the first to a really good friend and let him keep it. Super handy and makes ATF "drain/fills" and PS drain/fills easy. I still help all 4 of our kids so there are lots of occasional oil changes and other light work here. They don't realize the money saved ... and that's ok.

M

I have an older Liquivac pump and it has worked good for a whole variety of fluid extraction jobs, including the occasional oil change. Mostly did that on older cars that I don't have any more though. That Mightyvac looks like it would be a step up from what I have. Use and feel good that you are maintaining your better than most.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Lubener
I doubt that those extractors are going to remove everything that settles on the bottom of the pan.

If it's done when hot, all that crud will be in suspension with the oil. Many manuals say to change oil, gear lube etc when hot for this very reason.

My Tahoe and Rubicon have small steel sumps (below all the aluminum) … given a little time, don't think much is getting left behind even when just warm from driving up on a ramp … by the time you wait for an engine to come off high idle (famous warm up topic) that oil has circulated the capacity many times over …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by Lubener
I doubt that those extractors are going to remove everything that settles on the bottom of the pan.

If it's done when hot, all that crud will be in suspension with the oil. Many manuals say to change oil, gear lube etc when hot for this very reason.

If crud gets stuck inside the extractor long tube, Lowes & Home Depot are running a July 4th Special on tube cleaning. Drop off the tube at 9AM and pick it up at Noon. Cost $10.

Back