Oil dipstick giving different readings

I was wondering why oil levels are different when checking your oil with the dipstick. Of course I'm checking the vehicle on level ground and after its been off for a couple of hours. If I insert the dipstick with the hash marks facing the engine, ill get a reading half way between empty and full. Then if i insert the dipstick with the hash marks facing away from the engine it will show the oil is over filled past the full line. Maybe someone can give me some clarification, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201010-105107_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201010-105107_Chrome.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 116
Your dipstick is angled so it would read differently. Just like if you put a straw in a milkshake at an angle. Imagine the markings would face the center of the engine.
So do i go by the high reading or the low reading?

What does your owners manual say on how to check?

Some engines/manufacturers are specific on the how to instructions.

My guess is that one side of the dipstick contacts the tube and picks up oil, making the level look higher on that side. I go by the lowest reading when that happens. The trans dipstick on my Vibe would give two different readings.

The way to be sure is to check it after the next oil change, when you know the exact amount of oil in the sump.

I found that my dipsticks would have oil all over them even after waiting the recommended/required number of hours after running the engine.

The only solution I found was to look at it after the first pull out of the tube, in the morning after it sat all night. Then the reading was as clear as day.

Here is something you can do for peace of mind. Change your oil, and put in the exact oil called for by the owner's manual. Then check the oil to see where the level is on the dipstick. And then from that point on always check the oil the same way.

Read the top side, which will be the side on which the level appears lower if it's unambiguous on both sides.

Back