Oil cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was interested in an Oil cooler and filter relocation kit for my Sonata, does anyone know of any good brand out there. Possibly thinking about one of those vacuum oil pumps aswell- I dont want to go under the car anymore. Well maybe I will do a once a year drain from the pan- the Fumoto valve might go on the parts list also.

I used the Spectre kit myself when the issue came up. It uses a pump that pulls from the drain plug so you'll get more oil out that using the dipstick.

The Spectre kit comes with most of what you need. More than enough for the remote mounting. The pump works very well for draining or adding (in tight locations).

I'd look for a laminar cooler from an older Honda Prelude (or other engines). It uses the same filter ..and uses the engine coolant as both a warmer and cooler. Compact and easy plumbing (usually).

Look at item#:230339272277 on ebay

I know what you're thinking. How can that cool my oil. Trust me, they work very well compared to air:eek:il heat exchangers. The flow difference and density of the exchange mediums trumps size by a good margin.

That Honda cooler is almost exactly what I have on my Taco. My truck came with the optional towing package that included the oil cooler. Engine coolant runs thru it and heats/cools oil as necessary. Factory oil filter screws to the top of it.

Originally Posted By: dennisny
That is a very interesting cooler, but wheres the cooling unit.

You may have missed this ..I added some..

I know what you're thinking. How can that cool my oil? Trust me, they work very well compared to air:eek:il heat exchangers. The flow difference (mega coolant flow vs. much lower oil flow) and density of the exchange mediums (ever sit in a 70F room? Ever take a shower with 70F water?) trumps size by a good margin.

The way I look at it, if engine coolant can keep my whole engine at the proper operating temperature, surely it can do the same for oil. You do not see too many air cooled cars anymore :) Coolant to oil heat exchanger works, and works really good.

Last edited:
The more I look into this- I will just leave the vehicle alone, it is possible Hyundai has an oil cooler on there. My 2003 Sonata had one, I cant seem to come across anything under the car, near the radiator, or where the filter sits on the perch- except for a trans cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back