Oil consumption

Hey all,

I have a 2005 honda crv, that doesn't leak oil. I change the oil every 8000 kms and I alternate btwn ST FS 5w20 and PP 5w20. In total as to date since owning the CRV i did 3 changes with ST and 3 changes with the PP.

I have noticed every time I would use ST, the oil is 3/4 on the dipstick before I change, and the PP is always right on the Full line. I am curious if its the CRV consuming just the ST oil lol, or some oil burn faster than other oils?

Some engines will burn more oil brands than others ... looks like yours is that way if you have been getting accurate oil level checks the whole time.

Well, I can say that I too had more consumption while using ST. And that’s not including beer.

Don’t know why, but yes, in previous vehicles the engines consumed more oil while using ST (for me).

True. But it's more than my 20 year old jeep so many here hate with 190k uses.
when did you use supertech 5w20 in your jeep?
And if you did would you consider 8oz over 5000miles bad?

All I see here is no issue with supertech.. but if 8oz bothers the OP...PP was better.

I've got all the bases covered, my van uses no oil at 19 years and 160.000 miles. My truck uses one quart every 100 miles. 30 years and 219.000 miles. I don't drive the truck much.

Switch to the oil that doesn't get consumed.

I've used mostly Mobil 1 in my cars, but my previous Town&Country minivan would drink it. I found that consumption was cut in half when I switched to Castrol Edge. Therefore, I used Edge in that vehicle. Seemed to be the environmentally conscious thing to do.

Also, I've used Mobil1 in my CRV since new. No problems with consumption for 110K miles. Last oil change I used Rotella Gas Truck (because I got a deal on a bunch). I had to add a quart half way through the OCI. I won't be using it again in the CRV. The rest of the RGT will get used in the 4Runner where it has been fine.

Also, I've used Mobil1 in my CRV since new. No problems with consumption for 110K miles. Last oil change I used Rotella Gas Truck (because I got a deal on a bunch). I had to add a quart half way through the OCI. I won't be using it again in the CRV. The rest of the RGT will get used in the 4Runner where it has been fine.
maybe give it a second chance.

My experience with any of our Ford vehicles is the first OCI with Mobil 1 usually resulted in a slight increase of oil use versus with the oil was in there previously. The second and subsequent OCI's with Mobil 1 did not see that increase in oil usage. I guess there can be a slight increase in oil usage when changing oil brands initially.

Are you purposely alternating back and forth? I don't see the benefit of that. If it's just incidental then I get it.

I'd stick with the Pennzoil if I were you.

When is the last time the PCV valve was changed.

It was changed after i bought the crv 2 years ago.
Are you purposely alternating back and forth? I don't see the benefit of that. If it's just incidental then I get it.

I'd stick with the Pennzoil if I were you.
Its just incidental, I horded 6 5L jugs pennzoil during a sale. The 3 jugs of ST I bought for cheap on FB market, seller didn't need, insurance wrote of his car.

Thanks ppl for the info, I was just curious why Pennzoil didn't get consumed. Ive been checking the oil level more frequently, as in once a week. All my ST is gone so its just pennzoil for next 2 changes. So far so good.

As to the why, I'd look at the data sheets. I haven't looked, but I would expect that the PP has a somewhat better Noak rating.

I wouldn't worry about it, PP is a better deal with the $25 rebate anyways.

But oil consumption can be masked by water or fuel in the crankcase over an OCI and may be affected by seasonal temperature changes so it's hard to make conclusions between oils....

Back