oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1991 toyota celica st with the 4afe engine. I recently did a swap of another 4afe engine. the only issue im having now is that after about 1400 miles of driving i have burned half a quart of oil. I did have the rpms up past 4500 on the highway on a beach trip so that may have contributed to the burning. The owners manual said that its normal to consume under high speeds etc. but is this a normal amount or should i be concerned? My old engine was burning half a quart a week. I checked pcv but im gonna replace that to be safe cause its a cheap part. Do you guys recommend a high mileage oil like maxlife? All cam seals, oil pump, rear main and valve cover seals are brand new also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete491
I have a 1991 toyota celica st with the 4afe engine. I recently did a swap of another 4afe engine. the only issue im having now is that after about 1400 miles of driving i have burned half a quart of oil. I did have the rpms up past 4500 on the highway on a beach trip so that may have contributed to the burning. The owners manual said that its normal to consume under high speeds etc. but is this a normal amount or should i be concerned? My old engine was burning half a quart a week. I checked pcv but im gonna replace that to be safe cause its a cheap part. Do you guys recommend a high mileage oil like maxlife? All cam seals, oil pump, rear main and valve cover seals are brand new also.

You never said how many miles are on the replacement engine.You did not say which oil you are currently running . Plus , you did not change the valve guide seals, a big source of 4afe oil burning. A quart at 3000 miles is almost NORMAL for this motor. Maxlife will help a little especially if its valve seals ,But i just like any robust 5w30 like pyb , castroil, or mobil 5000. In this motor , do not use synthetics , they will burn . I think you are fine.

Originally Posted By: chad8

You never said how many miles are on the replacement engine.You did not say which oil you are currently running . Plus , you did not change the valve guide seals, a big source of 4afe oil burning. A quart at 3000 miles is almost NORMAL for this motor. Maxlife will help a little especially if its valve seals ,But i just like any robust 5w30 like pyb , castroil, or mobil 5000. In this motor , do not use synthetics , they will burn . I think you are fine.
T6 has reduced the oil consumption on two high miles Toyotas with 5 F engines to almost nothing. Synthetic "burns"??????

Sorry forgot the specifics. Engine was dry no oil pan when i got it. it just had a fill of castrol gtx hm 10w30 got it on sale for $1.50 qt. Mileage on this engine is 77,000 i believe the only discrepency is that i bought it from a canadian supplier so it could be km. inside the valve cover was spotlless. still had crosshatching and everything so im leaning towards 77,000 km. Still have warranty till august on the motor but everything runs great otherwise getting roughly 32mpg

Last edited:
I agree, the car is 22 years old -seems like a relatively low amount considering some newer toyotas burn that much oil.

I would just keep an eye on it and add oil as needed. I would imagine most oils will perform about the same buy what is on sale.

Hmm Rotella T6 or Rotella sounds good. I was thinking an HDEO might help. My manual says a 10w40 is ok so i think in summer a 15w40 would be ok?
in the meantime was looking at trying PYB 10w30 to see if it will be consumed any faster than the Gtx HM. I have these choices available in my current stash:

Maxlife semisyn 10w30 5qts
VWB 10w30 5qts
VWB 5w30 5 qts
PYB 10w30 5 qts
Mobil Super 5000 10w30 5 qts
Mobil 1 5w30 5 qts
Wolfs head 10w30 1 qt
Maxlife Dino 20w50 1 qt
Auto Extra 10w40 1 qt
Auto extra 20w50 1 qt

I change the oil for my family so i keep various grades etc. I was thinking i will try the PYB for an oci and see how it does then winter i want to run the mobil 1 or VWB cause i run 5w30 in winter. I have no leaks as all gaskets were replaced on the swapped engine like i said earlier. Il

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

T6 has reduced the oil consumption on two high miles Toyotas with 5 F engines to almost nothing. Synthetic "burns"??????

Yes , thin synthetics burn in older Toyota's especially with bad valve seals. I think you have butt dyno syndrome...

4500 RPM??? For a street engine, that's almost a insane RPM, at least sustained(yeah the chest thumpers are going to storm this one saying they do same or higher RPM daily)... Does this not have a OD trans??? About any engine is going to burn some oil at that RPM... These days most engines turn 1500-2000 RPM at highway speeds, less than half...

A engine will burn a minute amount of oil for each rotation, increase that by 3x and yes the result should be obovous... Also as RPM increases oil vaporization will increase which will likely be drawn in by the PCV...

I did have the rpms up past 4500 on the highway

Next time that happens shift into second gear....then third..
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog
I did have the rpms up past 4500 on the highway

Next time that happens shift into second gear....then third..
crackmeup2.gif

Well I didn't sustain that rpm for longer than a min or so. I usualy do 75 at 3500 in 5th gear no od on this manual trans. the c50 isnt geared for high speeds. I didn't realize that was that bad as my redline is around 6250

Originally Posted By: TFB1
4500 RPM??? For a street engine, that's almost a insane RPM, at least sustained(yeah the chest thumpers are going to storm this one saying they do same or higher RPM daily)... Does this not have a OD trans??? About any engine is going to burn some oil at that RPM... These days most engines turn 1500-2000 RPM at highway speeds, less than half...

A engine will burn a minute amount of oil for each rotation, increase that by 3x and yes the result should be obovous... Also as RPM increases oil vaporization will increase which will likely be drawn in by the PCV...

My wifes car at 70mph is around 3500........a well designed engine shouldnt burn oil just because it was run at 4500 rpms.....

Well, it comes from the days of 55mph limits, so at 75 it is working perhaps harder than anticipated. Not sure I'd worry about it. I man, check for issues, but also try some slower speeds and see if it matters. Not sure if a quart every 3k is much to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back