Oil Choices For High Mileage

I have 5w30 QSFS in my 05 Element w 214k have ran HM oils in it before. It is due for an oil change this coming weekend, PP 0w40 or QSFS HM 5w30 will be next. Next summer it will get Havoline Pro-DS Lifelong syn 10w30 or PP HM 10w30 have both on the shelf. Any HM oil will be fine either blend or synthetic. I run 5w30 or higher in my 5w20 spec oils just fine.

Hello,

Are there any high mileage Honda or Acura owners that use high mileage oil or have a high mileage vehicle? I have a late model Acura MDX that recommends 5W20 oil, The MDX was my sister vehicle so I don’t have a clue what oil was used and having high miles is it best to stick with a 5W20 or bump up to 5W30 synthetic high mileage oil or a synthetic blend?
254,000 miles, what year MDX and in what climate? If it pre-dates the Acura requirement for full synthetic, in a cold winter climate I'd stick with a HM blend like Maxlife or Quaker State. If you're in a hot or warm weather climate where cold starts don't matter much, bump it up to a high mileage 5w-30. Both brands and weights are available at a decent price. In my Ridgeline (similar motor), I'm now using Mag1 5w-20 HM blend.

It might be easier to try that and see if it helps rather than waiting for a consensus on Bitog. Either one or both aren't going to hurt a thing.

Try it and report back.Sounds good
254,000 miles, what year MDX and in what climate? If it pre-dates the Acura requirement for full synthetic, in a cold winter climate I'd stick with a HM blend like Maxlife or Quaker State. If you're in a hot or warm weather climate where cold starts don't matter much, bump it up to a high mileage 5w-30. Both brands and weights are available at a decent price. In my Ridgeline (similar motor), I'm now using Mag1 5w-20 HM blend.
Northeast part of the country with cold snowy winters and low temperatures , I have a 2004 MDX touring model.

High Mileage (HM) oils seems to be more of a North American thing, they don't sell many HM oils in Australia. Here the tradition is to bump the oil up a viscosity grade as the vehicle ages (e.g. 5W20 to 5W30 or 10W30). It seems to work fine.

As Kschachn points out above, all oil (HM and non-HM) have seal conditioners added, and all are bound buy API limits and tests.

I see HM oils as more of a marketing angle, if I wanted an oil with more additives for an older engine, then a thicker Euro (A3/B4) oil would be my go to, e.g. M1 0W40 FS or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.

High Mileage (HM) oils seems to be more of a North American thing

I see HM oils as more of a marketing angle, if I wanted an oil with more additives for an older engine, then a thicker Euro (A3/B4) oil would be my go to, e.g. M1 0W40 FS or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.
I'm about to use QSUD FS Euro 5w-40 in the Ranger and F150. At our WM's it goes for an excellent price (for now).

Back