Oil Choices For High Mileage

Hello,

Are there any high mileage Honda or Acura owners that use high mileage oil or have a high mileage vehicle? I have a late model Acura MDX that recommends 5W20 oil, The MDX was my sister vehicle so I don’t have a clue what oil was used and having high miles is it best to stick with a 5W20 or bump up to 5W30 synthetic high mileage oil or a synthetic blend?

I'm using Synthetic 5w-40 Euro oil in my high mileage vehicles (over 275k miles). Actually, using it in my Ranger at 90k miles (I don't consider that high miles).

Reactions: SR5
I'm using Synthetic 5w-40 Euro oil in my high mileage vehicles (over 275k miles). Actually, using it in my Ranger at 90k miles (I don't consider that high miles).
I have 254,000 miles and want to upgrade to synthetic high mileage 5w30 oil or a synthetic blend.

The "High Mileage" part means it has additives that reduce oil leaks by swelling seals and gaskets. If your issue with high mileage is oil burning or smoking, it won't help with that.
No issues other than a slight valve cover gasket leak, No oil burning or consumption.

I used (past tense two oc on each vehicle) Valvoline Synthetic 5W30 high mileage oil in both 2.4L's.... Sonata has 70K kia has 130K.. thought of it more and went back to regular synthetic non HM EP 5w30.. I was under the impression HM oil had a "better" add pack... but the Side effect of swelling seals and gaskets on a engine that has zero leaks was enough to make me switch back to M1 EP 5W30 synthetic.. oh and pricing but that's another thread.

Hello,

Are there any high mileage Honda or Acura owners that use high mileage oil or have a high mileage vehicle? I have a late model Acura MDX that recommends 5W20 oil, The MDX was my sister vehicle so I don’t have a clue what oil was used and having high miles is it best to stick with a 5W20 or bump up to 5W30 synthetic high mileage oil or a synthetic blend?
I have an 07 Pilot with 170K (3.5 L). I noticed that when I topped off the oil throughout the OCI with 5w30, it felt like an improvement in smoothness and acceleration. So, for a recent OCI, I used all 5w30. With all 30 weight, the acceleration felt less peppy than normal. In it now is about half 5w30 and half 5w20. With this blend, It feels like it's old self again, maybe even better.

All of this is very unscientific.

The "High Mileage" part means it has additives that reduce oil leaks by swelling seals and gaskets. If your issue with high mileage is oil burning or smoking, it won't help with that.
Mhm maybe. But still within the parameters of the API license limitations which is the same these days as for the non-HM oils. Back in the day that was not the case.

Hello,

It might be easier to try that and see if it helps rather than waiting for a consensus on Bitog. Either one or both aren't going to hurt a thing.

Try it and report back.

I have a 2006 MDX with about 240,000 miles. No leaks or issues.

I use M1 Extended Performance High Mileage 5w30

I have 254,000 miles and want to upgrade to synthetic high mileage 5w30 oil or a synthetic blend.
In the past I tried regular and HM synthetic oil and found no difference between the two.
From what you describe about your vehicle you don't need a HM oil but it can be used.
What I will say is (Mobil1 HM 10w-30) oil has slowed or stopped minor crankshaft seal leaks or weeps. Doesn't work on gaskets.

No issues other than a slight valve cover gasket leak, No oil burning or consumption.
A HM oil wouldn't hurt. If it doesn't burn a drop then it'd probably keep using 5w-20 just to squeeze some spare change in fuel savings although it's mostly irrelevant and more to do with the person and their driving style and route planning. Right now Quaker state's full syn HM offerings look pretty good for the price. Get it at WM or order online.

I have my 06 Acura TL with 279,000 plus miles. I'm running Super S high mileage 5w30 and just 5 ozs of STP high mileage oil treatment in there.

I found with my Nissan Altima VQ that had 345,000 plus miles that I only needed 5 ozs per 4 7/8 qts of STP high mileage oil treatment and it worked very well. It was actually drying up under the motor and oil pan once I started using that. Plus you can get 3 uses out of a 15 oz STP high mileage oil treatment container and it won't over thicken the oil too.

Hello,

Use what is recommended. It's worked so far accrueing all those miles, so why change now?

Mhm maybe. But still within the parameters of the API license limitations which is the same these days as for the non-HM oils. Back in the day that was not the case.
So whats the difference between regular and high mileage then?

FWIW - my Xterra now has 383K and I still use just regular semi syn 5w-30. I would still be using dyno oil in it except you can't buy that anymore. I may switch to synthetic but I need to change my valve cover gaskets first - they leak a little - the only leak it has.

So whats the difference between regular and high mileage then?

FWIW - my Xterra now has 383K and I still use just regular semi syn 5w-30. I would still be using dyno oil in it except you can't buy that anymore. I may switch to synthetic but I need to change my valve cover gaskets first - they leak a little - the only leak it has.
I don’t think it’s that big of a deal anymore. Maybe someone knows more than I do but it looks as though today it’s just a somewhat higher viscosity. Maybe there is something else but you’re still constrained by the license.

Back