Oil choice for Briggs and Stratton equipped Lawn Tractor

I have the 724cc Briggs and Stratton 24 HO Intek v-twin engine used on my Husqvarna 54 inch lawn tractor which mows about 3-4 acres.

Like many BITOG folks I like to utilize what I have laying around if possible. The engine calls for 30 weight. I have some Rotella 5w-40 T6 and some M1 0w-30 AFE laying around.

The manual calls for a 30 weight.

Would either of those oils work out. If not, what 30 weight would you suggest?

Thanks!!!

I would use the 5w40 or a 15w40. If you go 30wt then 10w 30. Mowing 3-4 acres with an aircooled engine, i'd go 15w40 rotella, or delo.

I have a 50 inch toro zero turn 21hp kawsaki engine. i've been running 15w40 lately.

I use Supertech SAE 30 HD. You can spend more on the Briggs and Stratton branded oil. Take note, the B&S manual advises against using 10W30, as it can cause more oil consumption. I wouldn’t rule out a 15W40 oil.

Thanks for the warning. I am probably going to roll with the 5w-40 RT6 that I used for my Subaru FXT and didn't like.....unless you all think I'd be substantially better off with a 15w-40 or straight 30.

I'd use the 5w40 HDEO over 0w30 AFE, I'm sure with it's marketing focusing on fuel economy in modern passenger cars it's already light for grade and probably more likely to shear in an air cooled small engine, Pretty much use whatever HDEO you want in a small engine, I'm sure the engine will last just fine so long as you keep clean oil in it. Monograde is a good choice but 15w40, 20w50, Straight 30, 40 or even straight 50 should do you just fine.

I wouldn't mind a more FE oil in it to see if I can go a bit longer on fuel just for the fun of it.....but as I get older I find myself taking less chances as I notice failures by running things on the edge more and more. I won't mess with the lighter oil. Thanks.

I have the same engine in my 2012 Snapper tractor with 200 hours. I've used strictly a 5w-30 synthetic with 40 hour oil changes and have negligible oil consumption. Personally I wouldn't use a 0w-30, especially in VA where winters are not severe, but in VA you could get by with the 5w-40. I feel that the best path to long engine life in these B&S engines is doing regular oil changes, nothing extended.

I use Supertech SAE 30 HD. You can spend more on the Briggs and Stratton branded oil. Take note, the B&S manual advises against using 10W30, as it can cause more oil consumption. I wouldn’t rule out a 15W40 oil.
Wonder how they consider that a real problem with 10w30 …? I have the 5w30 B&S synthetic in my walk behind … and 10w30 Delo semi in the 19 HP rider. No consumption
My new 457cc Chonda calls for 10w30 (all my other gens too) …

Last edited:
I'd use cheaper 10w40 and conventional if you have less than a 100 hrs on it.
I use 10w30 on a 33hp ZT that mows 50 acres a week.
It is air cooled but does have a bolt on oil cooler.

Wonder how they consider that a real problem with 10w30 …? I have the 5w30 B&S synthetic in my walk behind … and 10w30 Delo semi in the 19 HP rider. No consumption
My new 457cc Chonda calls for 10w30 (all my other gens too) …

I believe B&S's concern is the use of "conventional" 10W-30 vs their use of recommended of 5W-30 synthetic because the conventional 10W-30 oil can burn off faster. And if you don't check it regularly you could cause engine damage due insufficient oil. I doubt they would have an issue with using a synthetic 10W-30 which is less prone to oil burn off in hot air cooled engines, same or better than synthetic 5W-30. Plus their recommendation of synthetic 5W-30 covers the non lawn mower engines used in winter.

Whimsey

I have the 724cc Briggs and Stratton 24 HO Intek v-twin engine used on my Husqvarna 54 inch lawn tractor which mows about 3-4 acres.

Like many BITOG folks I like to utilize what I have laying around if possible. The engine calls for 30 weight. I have some Rotella 5w-40 T6 and some M1 0w-30 AFE laying around.

The manual calls for a 30 weight.

Would either of those oils work out. If not, what 30 weight would you suggest?

Thanks!!!
Yes, you could use both of these oils if you have them laying around. I would watch for oil consumption with the 0w30. You don't show what state your in. Briggs & Stratton latest recommendation is you can use a 15w50. If your in a hot region, I would consider 15w50, 15w40HDEO, 5w40HDEO, 10w30HDEO or PCMO synthetic.

I have the 22 HP version of that engine on a John Deere D140. I've been using 10w-30 Mobil 1 High Mileage for the 3.5 HTHS viscosity. The engine has 170 hours on it and does not consume oil. It sees 30 hours per season, and I change the oil at the end of the season. Judging by the way the drain oil looks, that probably isn't necessary but I'll just keep doing it anyway.

I use M1 10-30 and a MC FL910S filter in my 2012 Craftsman 21HP B&S rider. I change oil and filter every 2 years and never have to add oil.

Back