Oil changes with use - picture project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I had my oil changed.
Castrol Edge Synthetic. Wix filter.
So i'm going to start a project where I'll take pictures of my engine oil once a month.
To document the changes in my oils appearance as its used.
I'll try to standardize the process.
I'll wipe the oil off my dipstick with a paper towel.
Then I'll photograph the paper towel.
I'll use the same camera and lighting setup every time.
I have good camera gear.
And I'll post my pictures.
My previous oil change lasted 9 months. 10000km. 6200 miles.

Have other people done a similar project?

Why not, but many people will tell you the colour of oil has no bearing on the condition of the oil. Having said that, I'll look forward to seeing your photographs.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by JC1
... I'm sure most oil junkies will say to stop wasting time and just do a UOA.
Or a blotter spot check.
How long will you leave the oil on the towel before photographing it?

I'm not sure how long I'll leave the oil before photographing it.
I'll have too see how it goes. But it will have to be the same time for every try.
Any suggestions on how long ?

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Why not, but many people will tell you the colour of oil has no bearing on the condition of the oil. Having said that, I'll look forward to seeing your photographs.
smile.gif

Tell you what; the color of the oil is the color of the oil and it has no bearing on the condition of the oil. I can post pictures of oil that I have UOA on, one sample has almost 38K on it (bypass filtration), and other samples with less than 8K on them. I challenge anyone to tell which one is which visually. Your project is a waste of time, but it's your time.
23.gif

BTW, you changing out Castrol Edge Synthetic at 6200 miles is also a total waste of time and good oil. Just do ONE UOA and prove what an idiot I am...I pay for UOA and Horizon testing doesn't even want to see a sample before 7500 miles.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
BTW, you changing out Castrol Edge Synthetic at 6200 miles is also a total waste of time and good oil. Just do ONE UOA and prove what an idiot I am...I pay for UOA and Horizon testing doesn't even want to see a sample before 7500 miles.

My oil life monitor was at 2% at 6200 miles. I figured I should change the oil then for warranty purposes.

Exactly.... Someone else acting like they know for sure what the condition the oil you have is... Is not accurate or very smart.

Originally Posted by marty123

My oil life monitor was at 2% at 6200 miles. I figured I should change the oil then for warranty purposes.

I'd say that was a wise move, perhaps a bit late 10% in reserve seems to be a number some people use for a safety margin. I would get a UOA next time to confirm the accuracy of the system. Mine would have lead me down a path of problems had I decided to follow it.

Lol. Then changing penzoil platinum at 3750 must be downright criminal yet I do it all the time. I'll stick with $20 oil changes instead of trying to squeeze every last mile out of an oil jug. To each his own.

I'm not sure how long I'll leave the oil before photographing it. ... Any suggestions on how long ?
Long enough for the appearance to stabilize. There may not be much to see with conservative intervals on an engine in good condition. Suggest you study up on blotter spot testing. Paper towel (or any highly absorbent white paper) might be good enough, if you use a consistent kind.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

I'd say that was a wise move, perhaps a bit late 10% in reserve seems to be a number some people use for a safety margin. I would get a UOA next time to confirm the accuracy of the system. Mine would have lead me down a path of problems had I decided to follow it.

This ^^^ Getting a UOA was basically what I said wasn't it? OK, you're going by the OLM, but does your owner's manual specify synthetic, which you stated you're using? My apologies to the OP if I came across as antagonistic, but, as has been stated on this forum ad infinitum, anything that anyone says is speculation until a UOA is done, and lest it become lost in the details, I see no "takers" regarding the color of the oil yielding any useful info (on an otherwise healthy motor).
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back