oil changes after winter storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
on a classic car board they are discussing oil changes after winter storage as being needed even when the oil was change before storage because of condensation. any comments?

Was the engine started often and not driven, you know, to "keep the seals fresh"? If so I'd change it if you are worried. With my GTO I just leave it alone and will only start the engine if I plan on driving it.

If you changed your oil prior to storage and it just sat there, I would say that you have 3K left on the oil.

BTW, what is your car and what oil are you using?

I have a 69 Chevelle SS396 and it sits in my garage for about 6 months a year. I usually run 10w30 or 10w40 Havoline dino. I have been tossing around the idea of running a synthetic but haven't to date. I am now on my 2nd cycle of 0w30 German Castrol in my truck and it seems to like it so far.

cool.gif
Even with some temperature fluctuation I think condensation would be minimal IF it was never started and run just in the garage (and not driven to warm it up fully). I asked this a while ago as regards my mom's car, it sits in her garage when my folks are in FL for the winter. I got told that it's better to change it before putting it away so it sits with clean oil, then in the spring it isn't necessary to change it.

Is there anyone here willing to do a test for us? It would need to be someone who changed their oil in the fall, then immediately put their car in storage and did not start it all winter. Then when they bring the car out, it would be interesting to see them take an oil sample right away (after driving the car 20 miles or so to fully heat it up of course) and send it off for analysis. It would be particularily interesting to see if the TBN had dropped at all, or if there was any significant amount of iron in the oil. Any takers?

Oils are relativley cheap and working on cars is fun and an obsession (especially a classic). Have fun, change the oil. Maybe you'd let me do it for you? I'd do it just to hear the sound of the engine!

Seriously though, I don't think you can get a definate answer without testing like the previous poster mentioned. If it were me, I'd change the oil just to be sure.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Is there anyone here willing to do a test for us? It would need to be someone who changed their oil in the fall, then immediately put their car in storage and did not start it all winter. Then when they bring the car out, it would be interesting to see them take an oil sample right away (after driving the car 20 miles or so to fully heat it up of course) and send it off for analysis. It would be particularily interesting to see if the TBN had dropped at all, or if there was any significant amount of iron in the oil. Any takers?

I might be, if winter ever ends. I won't have the car out until end of April since there will be brake system modifications going in prior to re-start. I also have to remember to do it. I just changed the BMW and wanted to do a test on the factory oil. Unfortunately after draining I went into the basement to get a couple more tools and saw the Blackstone kit sitting there on my bench that I forgot to take outside. DUH!!! So went my factory oil analysis
rolleyes.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the car was stored without starting all winter, wouldn't any condensation quickly burn off after starting and reaching operating temp.
dunno.gif
Also, since the engine is basically a sealed system, the only condensation will be from any water left in the system when the engine was last turned off so if you turned it off hot, there should be very little moisture. Any valve that might just happen to be left in an open position will only let moisture into that one cylindar.

my point exactly, i have been storing cars for the winter for 15 years and haven't changed it again in the spring.

I use 15w-50 Mobil in them.

Mercruiser recommends changing oil prior to winter storage and then next boating season, just take off. Change oil if you go over 30 hours during the season. Some of us won't see 30 hours of boating operation so we change the oil at the end of the season and it'll be ready to go next season. Seems to be the exact same format for the classic car owners. Like others, if I was that worried, I'd change it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back