Oil change overload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have a 2012 Honda Fit and had the oil changed at 10% oil life 8,000 miles.
My faviorate machanics assistant put in more then the 3.8 quarts about 4.25 quarts.
The dip stick shows a 1/4 inch over the full mark when the car sits off for 3 minutes as Honda recommends.
Should I not worry about it or syphon it out?
A small plastic hose down the dip stick tube?
Thanks
Tim

Take it back and have the assistant deal with it. Might be a good learning opportunity for him to learn the error of his ways.

Originally Posted By: timh
The dip stick shows a 1/4 inch over the full mark when the car sits off for 3 minutes as Honda recommends.
Should I not worry about it or syphon it out?

Of course not. Drive more, worry less.

Straighten out a large curly sippy straw and suck some out via the dipstick tube. Drink some Starbucks first so the oil taste doesn't phase you a bit. < - - - joking of course.

If it was 3-4 inches up the dipstick I would be concerned.

1/4 of an inch over the fill mark would not.

Just me though. If it really bothers you I'd just drip about a cup out of the drain plug.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would not worry about it. Too little to matter.

Good advice.

Look in your owner's manual. I have seen some that allow a quarter inch or so over on initial refill. You may be fine. At any rate it is not that much over. So long as you don't see foaming in the oil on the dipstick after a run, it is not an issue. Next time you go for an oil change, specify they only install 4 quarts.

Not worth messing with. Pulling filter is messy and drastic for this small amount. Cracking the drain is fine, but if you drop the plug, good bye oil unless you can reach it while your thumb is over the hole. Then if you are going to all that trouble, may as well have changed it yourself.

There is no need to drain it. I overfill to 5 quarts in my Subie so I never have leftover oil in the jug. The additional oil allows me to extend my OCI's by ~ 3% (made up) and gives a larger capacity for cooling (insignificant.)

While the numbers above are entirely madeup, there is some truth to the benefits. There is no benefit in draining out perfectly good oil.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Look in your owner's manual. I have seen some that allow a quarter inch or so over on initial refill. You may be fine. At any rate it is not that much over. So long as you don't see foaming in the oil on the dipstick after a run, it is not an issue. Next time you go for an oil change, specify they only install 4 quarts.

Not worth messing with. Pulling filter is messy and drastic for this small amount. Cracking the drain is fine, but if you drop the plug, good bye oil unless you can reach it while your thumb is over the hole. Then if you are going to all that trouble, may as well have changed it yourself.

Probably not a problem, BUT it's worth asking a dealer. When you get an oil change I would always say how much oil you want adding to avoid foul ups. Just check the total capacity and deduct 10 to 15% for the figure, as topping up is easier than draining.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship
Originally Posted By: TallPaul

Probably not a problem, BUT it's worth asking a dealer. When you get an oil change I would always say how much oil you want adding to avoid foul ups. Just check the total capacity and deduct 10% for the figure, as topping up is easier than draining.

The subaru oil filter I use is about as small a filter as I could ever use, so the amount of oil needed after every oil change will never change, even if I switch to a different filter. For the first oil change or two, I added 4 quarts and checked periodically until it read full on the dipstick. After the first couple of oil changes, though, you should have the volume down, and just add how much is necessary.

I did check again after installing the Fumoto valve, but 5 quarts was good then, too. So, I'm back to dumping in 5 quarts, check the level, start and run the car, shut down, and do one final check before moving on with my day.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
Take the filter off, drain it. Put it back on. Run the car, recheck.

Risky. But if you do, make sure the gasket is still on the filter and you lube it up again.

I personally wouldn't worry about it as in 3k it will probably burn off to proper level. If you start to see lots of tiny bubbles on the dipstick, then you should think about draining your oil a crack.

People who are telling you to remove the drain plug or to take off the filter are kidding. At least they better be!

Your choice about siphoning some through dipstick is fine if you really want to do it but the other options are ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
People who are telling you to remove the drain plug or to take off the filter are kidding. At least they better be!

Your choice about siphoning some through dipstick is fine if you really want to do it but the other options are ridiculous.

I disagree. If I ever have to drain a small amount of oil I always do it through the drain plug, it's dead easy.

The only thing to remember is to do it cold. Sure, if you get boiling hot oil dribble down your hand and wrist then you're gonna drop the plug every time. Just do it when the oil is stone cold and it's very easy. With the plug finger tight you back it out slowly (with fingers) while maintaining positive pressure on it (always pushing it back in towards the drain hole). You just let half a cup full dribble out then re tighten the plug. It's really simple, I don't know why people would bother with removing the filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back