Oil change overdue over 2,000 miles

Hey guys, was looking at a low miles used Civic that was overdue on its oil change, is this even worth considering? I plan to take a look at it and see how it runs, if any weird engine noises or dark exhaust.

How many miles on the gem? Is it a new or an old car? Usually Honda's go a long time before the OLM shows it's time to change. In your case it's probably at the 12,000 mile mark right now.

If it was overdue once, no problem. Just go with good oil and couple short OCIs for peace of mind. HPL Engine Cleaner is a great option too.
But if it has a history of unintentionally extended oil changes, with quick lube oil from from the drum - I'd walk away. Or use it as leverage for negotiation, and then go heavy on HPL Engine Cleaner treatments for at least 5-6 OCIs.
What year is the Civic?

The photo shows on the OLM it is overdue. It has 44k and it is a 2019 with the 2.0 engine.

The photo shows on the OLM it is overdue. It has 44k and it is a 2019 with the 2.0 engine.
Possible that it wasn't reset at last oil change. That 2.0L (K20C2) so far has a great reputation. Very overbuilt and under stressed engine. I'd pull the trigger on the deal, if price is right. Again, try to use the "overdue for oil change" as a leverage in negotiation. If they say oil was changed, but light wasn't reset - ask for proof: receipt/invoice/etc. Otherwise push for "potential issues with i-VTEC components or timing chain due to extended OCIs, and potential sludge for same reasons" as your leverage in negotiations. In reality - it most likely won't be the case. But in current market every penny saved is nice, so load the seller up with reasons to drop the price. Worth a shot. "We miss 100% of the shots we don't take." Good luck @Dohc98vteC

Last edited:
I would buy with confidence and use the advice other posters commented on. 44K is about average miles for the year. I would think the original warranty would pay for free changes up to 36,000 miles but who knows if the were completed. The 2.0 is a great engine.

If you have to ask an online forum for approval or disapproval over this, you should be buying your cars new.

If you can define a history or pattern of neglect, avoid the car. If you think it's a one-off event, well, it wouldn't bother me, but it seems to bother you.

Did you pull the dipstick and rub the oil between your fingers?

Using it as a tool in negotiating? Seriously? They'll change the oil, or reset the monitor and say they did, and sell the car to someone else. It's a seller's market.

I always do 2500 miles overdue every time because in Toyota the OLM turn on every 5000 miles from the last time it is reset.

I got the feeling by the time you come back to the person, the car is sold.

I hate to say but my 02 accord is always overdue on oil changes. But at 245k I stopped caring and it keeps going. As long as it has oil in it 2k over is fine

If you have to ask an online forum for approval or disapproval over this, you should be buying your cars new.

If you can define a history or pattern of neglect, avoid the car. If you think it's a one-off event, well, it wouldn't bother me, but it seems to bother you.

Did you pull the dipstick and rub the oil between your fingers?

Using it as a tool in negotiating? Seriously? They'll change the oil, or reset the monitor and say they did, and sell the car to someone else. It's a seller's market.
Valid points, yet someone I know just saved $1k by throwing big words at the seller while pointing out potential (yet, highly unlikely in reality) issues.

I would buy with confidence and use the advice other posters commented on. 44K is about average miles for the year. I would think the original warranty would pay for free changes up to 36,000 miles but who knows if the were completed. The 2.0 is a great engine.
I don't believe Honda or perhaps any manufacturer provides 36000 miles of free changes. Some type of dealer promotion, yes, but not from the manufacturer. Toyota gave two years of changes when I purchased a Highlander or 25000 miles. If I recall it was also limited to two services.

If it was overdue once, no problem. Just go with good oil and couple short OCIs for peace of mind. HPL Engine Cleaner is a great option too.
But if it has a history of unintentionally extended oil changes, with quick lube oil from from the drum - I'd walk away. Or use it as leverage for negotiation, and then go heavy on HPL Engine Cleaner treatments for at least 5-6 OCIs.
What year is the Civic?
I love this website , years ago Auto RX was what everyone recommended.

Back