Oil change or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an excavator that has a 55hp Yanmar engine. It calls for an oil change interval of 500hrs, This year I might put 200 hrs on the oil. I use Rotella 5w40. Without doing a UOA should I follow the once a year oil change regiment or go 2 years ? It takes 2.5 gals of oil.

I'd say it could "most likely" go two years. Unfortunately the only way to be 100% certain is to send in a sample for UOA, get the Tbn and know for sure. Any other way is opinion and educated guesses. I gave my opinion/educated guess.

I should not of even asked this being I knew the answer like you said. Get a UOA. I have to see if I can suck out some oil somehow.

If I understand correctly, you might put 200 hours on virgin lube this year? Or are you saying you've already got 500 hours on it, and you are considering an additional 200 hours?

If the former, you have reasonably fresh oil and you might accumulate 200 hours this year, I would easily recommend extending all the way into next year. A UOA isn't necessary in this case. I've run up to 3 years in my diesel applications (Dmax; Kubota) and never had an issue; UOAs prove it. Oil has no idea how old it is.

If the later, where you've already put 500 down and are looking at 200 more, then a UOA would be a must-have prudent move. Not that the oil would not be OK, but understanding the contamination levels would be important to know. Honestly I expect the lube would still be fine, but you want to assure yourself. Also, if under warranty, do not extend OCIs without first checking with your local dealer regarding the coverage.

This is kind of the typical BITOG question ... I want something and I'm not willing to pay for it. Advice is free. But knowing is far better than guessing.

This is a followup question. How does Yanmar specify 500 hr (55hp) interval but Kioti (50hp) specify 100hr interval? One is 2.5gal oil and the other is 2gals.

Look at the hour meter on your equipment and every time it goes another 500 hours, change the oil.

Change it and look up the change schedule for the rest of the fluids and filters and lube points . You want long life.

You gotta love the sarcasm from the m- as-ses. Thanks to those who gave sound advice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by liberty
You gotta love the sarcasm from the m- as-ses. Thanks to those who gave sound advice.

For significantly less than the cost of lube and filter you could get a Wix analysis kit from Rock Auto. Sample at one year, if satisfactory run another year and sample again. The cost of the 2 analysis over 2 years will bring data to support service intervals moving forward they might even indicate that a 3 year service interval is safe and prudent. If they show that yearly is the best course of action you're only out less than the cost of one service. If they show that 2 or 3 year intervals are ok then you're money ahead for price of analysis vs price of lube change.

Much like dnewton said it's probable that 2 years is just fine, but warranty should be a consideration and UOA is a must for pushing beyond 500.

Based on all my experience in long time low mile UOA ive done on my vehicles. Length is not a issue like oil industry wants you to think. Its all about the hrs/miles. No way to be certain without analysis but I can almost promise you that it will be fine even at 2 or 3 yrs if your within your 500hrs.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted by liberty

For significantly less than the cost of lube and filter you could get a Wix analysis kit from Rock Auto. Sample at one year, if satisfactory run another year and sample again. The cost of the 2 analysis over 2 years will bring data to support service intervals moving forward they might even indicate that a 3 year service interval is safe and prudent. If they show that yearly is the best course of action you're only out less than the cost of one service. If they show that 2 or 3 year intervals are ok then you're money ahead for price of analysis vs price of lube change.

Much like dnewton said it's probable that 2 years is just fine, but warranty should be a consideration and UOA is a must for pushing beyond 500.

You bring up good point I wasnt thinking about I mean warranty is definitely big factor if thats still case follow what they want till warranty is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back