Oil change interval. Tractor vs excavator

A curiosity question here. I have a 2014 Kioti 50 hp tier 3 Diesel and a 2006 Yanmar 55 hp tier 3 diesel. Both are non turbo and take about 2 gals of oil with a similar sized oil filter. The Kioti calls for a 100 hr oil change interval and the Yanmar calls for a 250hr change interval. Why such a disparity with similar style engines?

Originally Posted by liberty
A curiosity question here. I have a 2014 Kioti 50 hp tier 3 Diesel and a 2006 Yanmar 55 hp tier 3 diesel. Both are non turbo and take about 2 gals of oil with a similar sized oil filter. The Kioti calls for a 100 hr oil change interval and the Yanmar calls for a 250hr change interval. Why such a disparity with similar style engines?

Honestly, that's too broad to answer with any legitimate degree of technical accuracy and really no way to verify.

I led the team building a program decades ago for an equipment provider and its fleet and we faced similar issues and questions from a broad range of PD equipment and basically the sampling program data revealed very little to no significant difference in PDE for equipment in the same class.

My 68 JD 3020 Diesel calls for 200 hour change intervals, it holds 8 qts. JD specs the same change interval for diesel, gas and LP motors on these tractors.
I think a good deal of it may have to do with air filtration systems, especially in equipment that operates in dusty environments like these.

Way back when I was working bridge and hiway construction, we never went with the manufactures rec. Instead we utilized the free oil analysis that was provided to us by our oil supplier. Kendal, Mobil, Shell and D. A. Lubricants all supplied kits for free to commercial customers. That was a huge savings when some units required 15 plus gallons of oil in the crank and 40 plus gallons of hyd oil.

Some went way over the manufacturer OIC some couldn't make it.

Reactions: MM8
Manufacturers also do analysis. Such as CAT SOS services or John Deere Oilscan. although they may charge a fee depending on the size of the outfit.

Interesting. By happenstance, do they have different operating speed ranges? Likely not, being in the same power band.

Do they have differing fuel injection systems? Is the older IDI and the newer DI? Do they have different fuel injection pressures?

That's all I can think of to explain it, being in the same EPA emissions band. I have a 25.4 hp Yanmar 2012 Tier 2. Yanmar OCI is 150 hours, I change @ 75 hours because I have high duty cycle (mostly mulching @ 3200 rpm and heat of summer). Only takes 3 quarts, so not worth UAO. Using M1 TDT 5W-40. Just adjusted valve lash @ 1,200 hours. Valve train and cover were squeaky clean.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Interesting. By happenstance, do they have different operating speed ranges? Likely not, being in the same power band.

Do they have differing fuel injection systems? Is the older IDI and the newer DI? Do they have different fuel injection pressures?

That's all I can think of to explain it, being in the same EPA emissions band. I have a 25.4 hp Yanmar 2012 Tier 2. Yanmar OCI is 150 hours, I change @ 75 hours because I have high duty cycle (mostly mulching @ 3200 rpm and heat of summer). Only takes 3 quarts, so not worth UAO. Using M1 TDT 5W-40. Just adjusted valve lash @ 1,200 hours. Valve train and cover were squeaky clean.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The same on everything.

I have been around heavy equipment, trucks, and tractors my entire life. Small to some of the largest heavy equipment made in small businesses to large fleets. The general rule of thumb at all of them when using hours on diesel services has been 250 hours or yearly with conventional oil.

Originally Posted by naterbomb
I have been around heavy equipment, trucks, and tractors my entire life. Small to some of the largest heavy equipment made in small businesses to large fleets. The general rule of thumb at all of them when using hours on diesel services has been 250 hours or yearly with conventional oil.

That is what I am thinking. I run rotella 5 w40 and go 200 hrs. I never did a UOA but I bet Kioti is very conservative on the 100 hr interval

Last edited:
Back