Oil change interval

I am currently running Mobil 1 full synthetic in my 2019 silverado with a napa gold oil filter. I have been sticking to the 6 month drain interval. I do short trips most of the time. I am also a volunteer fire fighter and occasionally the truck sets and idles for a few hours (rare but it does happen). By the time 6 months is up I have maybe 3000-3500 miles on it. I know you can go easily 7000 miles on this oil but with the short trips and the occasional idle hours am I right to change it the way I have been or am I just wasting money on oil?

Yeah, Mercedes does 10k on Mobil 1, I usually go up to 8-9k before changing it. It was originally 13k before they later lowered it to 10k. You could probably go a minimum of 5k and it'd probably be fine even up to 7-8k. You could save the cost of the oil and do an analysis after 5-6k and they'll probably say it's good for a few thousand more. Mobil used to sell oil that was good up to 25k but people couldn't comprehend not changing the oil that long.

My father in laws is 2 years older then mine and drives even less then me. His hasn’t had an oil change in about 2 years and it says like 40% oil
Life left.

I also do 6 month oil changes. May and November. It keeps things simple and easy. I do a little more miles than you between changes. Probably around 5000 miles when the 6 month interval comes around. I use Kendall Full Synthetic. Do what makes YOU sleep well at night. Nothing wrong with what you are doing.

Overkill probably yes. If I were driving an hour to work each way interstate I would take mine to 10-12k miles. My old silverado had to have the engine replaced due to sludge blocking the oil passages. Of course that was on cheap conventional oil and years of short trips and once a year oil changes. Don’t wanna do that again.

A true friend will tell you if your breath stinks. I will tell you the truth whether or not you like it. Reddy 45 has already said it; I will repeat with emphasis: Everything that everyone tells you is only speculation until you have UOA done. You might find you can safely go much longer than you think....
You're welcome.

The OLM takes in to account every driving situation EXCEPT dusty roads-that includes prolonged idling. Follow the OLM-there is no problem here waiting for an answer. He doesn't need a UOA-but it wouldn't hurt.

I am currently running Mobil 1 full synthetic in my 2019 silverado with a napa gold oil filter. I have been sticking to the 6 month drain interval. I do short trips most of the time. I am also a volunteer fire fighter and occasionally the truck sets and idles for a few hours (rare but it does happen). By the time 6 months is up I have maybe 3000-3500 miles on it. I know you can go easily 7000 miles on this oil but with the short trips and the occasional idle hours am I right to change it the way I have been or am I just wasting money on oil?
Well go 5500 and take a UOA would be my suggestion. Then go from there.
My guess is you can probably go a year.

Reactions: JC1
I'm going to suggest watching the OLM with that prolonged period of idling. It will most certainly adjust for that.

In my opinion if you have a intelligent oil life monitor (you do) which takes into account ignition cycle count, oil/coolant temps, mileage, run time etc vs a counter that only does mileage/days, and it's been backed up by a UOA at the time the system tells you to change the oil, I'd go with the OLM suggestion. If the UOA shows differently, maybe back it up 10% of the OLM suggestion and retest. If that's the case it may take a few tests to set your OCI but once done, unless you drastically change your driving style it should be safe to proceed at that.

I agree this is overkill with Mobil 1. That being said, with a 2019 I'd follow the manufacturers recommendations to not void any warranty type issues. Once warranty is done I'd do some UOA and run the oil much longer, especially if the vehicle has an OLM.

Just my $0.02

A true friend will tell you if your breath stinks. I will tell you the truth whether or not you like it. Reddy 45 has already said it; I will repeat with emphasis: Everything that everyone tells you is only speculation until you have UOA done. You might find you can safely go much longer than you think....
You're welcome.
Thank you. I've been saying that for years.

Well GM will tell you 7,500 miles based off the oil light monitor. I usually changed mine at 35% remaining and that brought me to 5,000 miles. I wouldn’t change that oil at 3,000 miles but then again, it’s not the end of the world if you do.

What does ur Owner's Manual state? I would suggest 7,500 or 1 year. Your money spend it how you want. Let us know what you decide and what works? Good luck sir!

Back