Oil change gone wrong. Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the warning. I check to make sure the old gasket comes off but haven't thought of an unseated gasket. It's good that you help your son with his car maintenance. Most college students are low on cash.

Originally Posted by MParr
As a teenager, I witnessed my dad do an oil change where the old filter gasket was left behind.

That happened to a buddy of mine about a decade ago. It was on a Subaru. Back then, the filter was known as "______ can of death". You guys can figure out which brand it was. As I recall, even back then, Walmart filter was $2.99, and this filter was $3.99. Who puts a cheap $4 filter on a $40,000 car? This was also about the same time as all of those Fast & Furious films. Guys with a $15,000 Civic were using $15 K&N.

A good reminder to double check your own work and check for leaks on first startup. I made a few hilarious mistakes back in the day, a double gasket and a loose oil filter come to mind, fortunately no permanent harm done. No oil stories lately, but we are all only one minor distraction plus one over confidence away from disaster!

My only major spill was when I used my friend's stupid solid top plastic pan with a drain plug in it. I pulled the plug out (I thought), but found out later it's super finicky, as 5 quarts of oil filled the shallow top as I tried to jiggle the drain and keep it open.

Which is exactly why I won't take my car to an iffy lube joint. Most of us on this forum are mechanically a cut above the average Joe and understand the consequences of a poor oil change. None the less we gearheads still make mistakes. How much more does that happen with some 20 year old dimwit changing oil all day.

Two of the most frustrating oil changes I can remember were both on my 6.7 powerstroke.
The first time I changed it, I used a round 15 qt drain pan with the plug in the top. The 1+ inch drain plug on the engine oil pan flowed 3 times faster than the 3/4" hole in the drain pan could accommodate. Hot black diesel oil all over my driveway and a ruined outfit....
Most recently, I drained the used oil, changed the filter, pumped grease in the few zerk fittings and my wife pulled me away for something. When I got back to the truck a few minutes later I began to pour 3 gallons and 1 quart of 5w40 Mobil 1 TDT down the oil fill tube. Out of habit, I pulled the dipstick to find it dry (???) At thatf point I realized I had forgotten to replace the 1+ inch drain plug and my now open top 15 quart drain pan was spilling over with a 26 quart mix of used oil and $25-a-gallon fresh oil.
The

I feel your pain. I've had the dreaded oil gasket stick happen to me as well. Now I'm aware and get crazy to make sure I visually see it is NOT stuck before I screw the new oil filter in. And yes it's messy!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by 4WD
If there in a downside to the XG … they don't hold gaskets tight. Had an XG16 gasket stay behind and the Wix XP I put on did a full Kuwait blowout …
I watch them closely now … and had two more (other sizes) stick to flange …

Really good point 4wd ^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
My only major spill was when I used my friend's stupid solid top plastic pan with a drain plug in it.

I hate those. Best pan I've ever used was a wide, galvanized steel pan I found at a hardware store. Plenty of capacity. Now I just use buckets. Once I used a bucket with a leak which I didn't know about. As oil was coming out of the drain hole, and filling the bucket; it was slowly leaking out at the bottom of the bucket.

Usually for me, the messy part is trying to pour the old oil back into those little quart bottles. Now I use a 5 gallon bucket. Municipal Haz-Mat disposal site takes the bucket, pour oil right into their bin, and give me the bucket back.

Gasket-sticking seems to occur more to Fram filters, than other brands. Now that I'm using Fram more these days, I must learn to adapt and double-check on uninstallation and new installation.

At my age, I'm more bound to forget to check. So I'll roll the dice every OCI-time. But only if I can remember to buy some dice to roll.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Almost as much oil on the floor as the time I poured 4.5 quarts into the engine fill hole, only to learn that I didn't put the drain plug back in!

lol.gif
I did that once (ONCE!) as well. Also had one occasion back in the middle 70's when the old cannister filter gasket wasn't removed and I had two gaskets on - similar results to what the OP described. I guess two mistakes in 45 years of changing my own oil isn't too bad (?).

Originally Posted by Touring5
Almost as much oil on the floor as the time I poured 4.5 quarts into the engine fill hole, only to learn that I didn't put the drain plug back in!

lol.gif
I did that once (ONCE!) as well. Also had one occasion back in the middle 70's when the old cannister filter gasket wasn't removed and I had two gaskets on - similar results to what the OP described. I guess two mistakes in 45 years of changing my own oil isn't too bad (?).

But will you live another 22.5 years to witness the 3rd mistake? Or will you be so old, that you can't get down on the cold concrete anymore to change that oil....... or even drive that vehicle?

I often wonder if we will be changing oils in our next life.... afterlife? Well the answer to that is definitely no. Our orbs will contain no steering wheels, gas or oil. All we will have to do - is think of a destination and we will arrive there instantly.

Want to go to the moon you say?....... well say it and it's done. Can't wait to get to that afterlife stage myself..... wait... on 2nd thought, I'll wait a little while longer. I can still get down far enough to reach that concrete slab.

Originally Posted by Soggydog
Two of the most frustrating oil changes I can remember were both on my 6.7 powerstroke.
The first time I changed it, I used a round 15 qt drain pan with the plug in the top. The 1+ inch drain plug on the engine oil pan flowed 3 times faster than the 3/4" hole in the drain pan could accommodate. Hot black diesel oil all over my driveway and a ruined outfit....
Most recently, I drained the used oil, changed the filter, pumped grease in the few zerk fittings and my wife pulled me away for something. When I got back to the truck a few minutes later I began to pour 3 gallons and 1 quart of 5w40 Mobil 1 TDT down the oil fill tube. Out of habit, I pulled the dipstick to find it dry (???) At thatf point I realized I had forgotten to replace the 1+ inch drain plug and my now open top 15 quart drain pan was spilling over with a 26 quart mix of used oil and $25-a-gallon fresh oil.
The

Happened to me the first time I did one of my Rams. Except the 22mm oil jet that shot out ricocheted right out of the oil pan onto the ground. Out of 3 gallons of oil, maybe 2 quarts made it down into the oil pan.

I also use a 5 gallon bucket now.

The best thing for a possibly messy DIY oil change is a stone driveway. You spill some oil you just kick some stones around to cover it up, trust me it works
lol.gif
!

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Touring5

lol.gif

But will you live another 22.5 years to witness the 3rd mistake? Or will you be so old, that you can't get down on the cold concrete anymore to change that oil....... or even drive that vehicle?

I often wonder if we will be changing oils in our next life.... afterlife? Well the answer to that is definitely no. Our orbs will contain no steering wheels, gas or oil. All we will have to do - is think of a destination and we will arrive there instantly.

Want to go to the moon you say?....... well say it and it's done. Can't wait to get to that afterlife stage myself..... wait... on 2nd thought, I'll wait a little while longer. I can still get down far enough to reach that concrete slab.

I'd be looking the bubble over for a drain plug, filter, and grease zerks! I'm still young enough to enjoy my time on the concrete.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Originally Posted by Ddub
. a new Fram Ultra.. Upon closer inspection, a part of the oil filter gasket came unseated while I was installing it and was sticking out of the side of the filter, .

Originally Posted by 4WD
If there in a downside to the XG … they don't hold gaskets tight. Had an XG16 gasket stay behind and the Wix XP I put on did a full Kuwait blowout …
I watch them closely now … and had two more (other sizes) stick to flange …

Is that poor design, manufacturing, or user error?

Seems it could be a little of all 3, but it this case it was majority user error.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Well you know the oil pump is up to snuff!
lol.gif

Yes, works like a champ!

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Thanks for the warning. I check to make sure the old gasket comes off but haven't thought of an unseated gasket. It's good that you help your son with his car maintenance. Most college students are low on cash.

Yes, he's a good kid. Honors student, Dean's list 3 out of 4 semesters, works during the school semester, and has a great internship this summer. I'm happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back