Oil change gone wrong. Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've changed the oil and filter in our (now my son's) Mazda 6 (80K miles currently) in my signature about 10-12 times over the years. I'm not a super handy guy, but I use ramps, it takes almost exactly 5 qts, it's not a difficult job, and generally takes me less than an hour start to finish. He was home for college for a few weeks before returning to AZ for a internship recently so we gave it the once over (installed a new battery, new air and cabin air filters, checked/topped off all the fluids, and lastly, an oil and filter change). He's rolling on newish Continental tires so all is well.

Everything was going fine as I had drained the old oil, removed the filter, reinstalled the oil pan drain plug, and rubbed some oil on the oil filter gasket before installing a new Fram Ultra. In goes 5 quarts of Castrol EP 5W-30 and I look under the car for a few seconds to check for leaks. Seeing none, I check the dipstick and everything looks good. I fire up the car and it sounds fine for a few seconds and then all the sudden doesn't sound so good, so I shut it down. There is an Exxon Valdez level of oil on the garage floor and I have no idea where it is coming from. Upon closer inspection, a part of the oil filter gasket came unseated while I was installing it and was sticking out of the side of the filter, so oil had been coming out of that area for a few seconds. To Walmart I go for kitty litter, Purple Power, and some more oil.

I reinstalled the filter after reseating the gasket and triple checking it, and began adding the new oil 0.5 quarts at a time. It took almost 3.5 quarts, so a lot of oil had come out in a short period of time. Oil was EVERY WHERE on the bottom of the car so I removed all the under engine trays and wiped them down as well as everything I could reach under the car prior to reinstalling the belly pans. On the plus side, the bottom of the car is now near concours level clean and I will ALWAYS double check that the gasket is seated properly prior to installing the new filter. Total time from start to finish, 3.5 hours! Ugh.

Almost as much oil on the floor as the time I poured 4.5 quarts into the engine fill hole, only to learn that I didn't put the drain plug back in!

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Almost as much oil on the floor as the time I poured 4.5 quarts into the engine fill hole, only to learn that I didn't put the drain plug back in!

Since using an oil extractor, I've never had this problem.
As long as the oil filter is on and seated properly, it's all good.

Thanks for sharing so others including myself get a reminder to double check. Around here in the rust belt I'd prob leave any spilled oil on the undercarriage for rust proofing.

My 8 year old's favorite story to tell is when he was about 4 and I was doing an oil change on my 91 Land Cruiser and when I fired it up, oil started spewing from the bottom and he spotted it. Double gasket on the oil filter
33.gif

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Thanks for sharing so others including myself get a reminder to double check. Around here in the rust belt I'd prob leave any spilled oil on the undercarriage for rust proofing.

Did that once when the Quick Lube guy dumped oil all over my K frame. Wiped up what I could once home. That continued to drip oil for days on our driveway and our neighbors/friends. They didn't appreciate it. In fact one of our friends suggested not bringing that car on the driveway again until the issue was resolved.

If there in a downside to the XG … they don't hold gaskets tight. Had an XG16 gasket stay behind and the Wix XP I put on did a full Kuwait blowout …
I watch them closely now … and had two more (other sizes) stick to flange …

Originally Posted by edwardh1
i am a master at this---a 10 min oil change can take 2 hours

Ha ha, same here. Oil seems to always find it's way out of the drain pan.

You need to see my lower driveway. I promise you will feel better.

Originally Posted by Ddub
. a new Fram Ultra.. Upon closer inspection, a part of the oil filter gasket came unseated while I was installing it and was sticking out of the side of the filter, .

Originally Posted by 4WD
If there in a downside to the XG … they don't hold gaskets tight. Had an XG16 gasket stay behind and the Wix XP I put on did a full Kuwait blowout …
I watch them closely now … and had two more (other sizes) stick to flange …

Is that poor design, manufacturing, or user error?

Never done that--but I'm made many a 10 minute job into 2 day affairs. Always something to make it "interesting".

Originally Posted by doitmyself

Did that myself last year. Unfortunately, it was on the asphalt driveway, now sealed with 4 qts ST 5W-30.

I've never had an oil spill from leaving the drain plug out or a problem with the filter gasket. As a teenager, I witnessed my dad do an oil change where the old filter gasket was left behind. I learned a lot from observing my dad and remember those lessons.

Thanks for posting.

It's a good reminder to check for leaks after. I know I've been in a hurry, slapped my new filter on, poured in the new oil, and rolled.

Good example of why not to do that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back