Oil Change At JIFFY LUBE>!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have VERY RARELY gone to an oil change facility that did not under-fill or over-fill my crank case. And I'm always worried that they might not put the right size oil filter on as well. I like to do it myself, get it done right, and have piece of mind. I keep my cars until they turn to dust.

The motor vehicle service and repair industry is one of the most crooked industries in the nation. And that includes dealers and independent service shops along with the quick lube joints. No one should allow any business to service or repair their vehicle unless they have checked the place out for honesty and quality of work. I got taken at a number of places in the 60's and early 70's before I did some research on the matter and learned my lesson. I now do what I can myself and the rest is done by a trustworthy independent service station.

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
The motor vehicle service and repair industry is one of the most crooked industries in the nation. And that includes dealers and independent service shops along with the quick lube joints.

Second that.
frown.gif

In the past before I started doing my own oil change, I have always brought it to the dealerships and they always did everything right. Not to mention, their prices arn't that bad if you happen to drive a toyota or VW. There are also fast lube places here called Oil Can Henry and they have pretty good reputation. They encourage you to sit in the car and look at what they are doing from a Tv monitor and a camera where they are working. There ARE good places, and one shouldn't be afraid to use them.

That being said, the last time anybody I know brought their car into iffy lube, their car died on the highway and iffy lube paid for a new engine. It's these places that ruins the reputation of the entire industry.

That is a pretty ****ing report, but I take issue with them calling Jiffy Lube a "repair shop" and regular maintenence "repairs." I know it is a small thing, but I think the reporter should have used different terminology. Jiffy Lube does not do repairs.

Also, the Grand Cherokee in the clip had an in-tank filter. No Jiffy Lube would touch that, ever. Of course they were completely in the wrong to charge for work they did not do, but the reporter should have brought in a vehicle with a frame or engine bay mounted filter.

I'm not saying that the report is not valid (it most certainly is), but I think it could have been done a little better.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
If they agreed to change it, they can do it.

They probably agreed to change it not knowing that it was an in-tank filter. When they couldn't find it, they were probably too lazy and dishonest to take it off the bill.

I worked at a quick lube place...in-tank filters are not something they will touch.

We took my wife's 03 impala for 2 tires to wmart, and the gomer they had working didn't look at the invoice and put 4 on instead of only 2. They said they'd give us the other 2 for 1/2 off. I said no way, and when the other tires (still good) are back on I want to check the tires before the chev leaves the bay. I went and looked, and the nimrod had put one of the worn out originals back on the left front.
mad.gif

We had the RR go flat on us about a month after that, so we go in to get it looked at, and they put a new tire on under guarantee, but it is the wrong style of Goodyear. I had gone into the public accessible stock area and saw the correct tire on the shelf (4 of them). Since I am looking for a different job, I seriously am going to apply at wmart for the tire dept and if I get lucky and get in, maybe make the work I'd do be more efficient than the others'
twak.gif
. It's called common sense, which I believe alot of the "techs" working there seemed to lack.
freak2.gif

I think I posted this before somewhere else. I took my '99 Taurus in for new tires at Tires Plus and part of the deal was a 'free' 30 point maintenance check. I told the sales guy just put the tires on, I do all my own work, don't bother looking under the hood, etc. About two hours later I get a call from the shop saying the tires were on and that I need an air filter. I thought to myself, what the frak, I told them not to poke around under the hood. I happened to sitting in front of my computer with all my vehicles maintenace records on it and I told the guy how could it need and air filter that I put in only six months eariler? He told me to hold on for a minute, came back on the phone and said it was a cabin air filter, and not the engine air filter. I told him no thanks, I have one in the garage (I didn't, but I knew it wasn't that dirty). When I went to pick up the car, I should have looked under the hood before I left. I should have remembered that getting to the cabin air filter pretty much requires removing half of the cowling to get to it. When I got home, I opened the hood, and low and behold, here was the cabin filter cover lying on top of the engine with a few good sized rub marks from the serpentine belt. Whoever took it apart forgot to piece it back together properly and lost a few of the plastic bolts. Needless to say I had a fairly heated 'discussion' with the store manager.

I have taken my cars to a Honda dealer here locally, both of my cars require 4 quarts of oil, and they put in 5. I go somewhere else now. Never too a quick lube or the local Honda dealer. I go to a dealer about 45 min. away, better and honest service, and hey 4 quarts of oil!

Found a problem with Mr.Lube's though today so I take back what I said previously. I paid to have the front and rear diff's oil changed two years ago. The rear diff had relatively clear oil though the front fluid looks to have never been changed.

Was really black and grey and also had some condensation in it. Looked nothing like the rear although they were "supposed" to be changed at the same time.

Lesson learned, I can't even trust them to do something under my truck with me standing right there.

[ May 25, 2006, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: BlazerLT ]

This stuff is done everywhere with everything ............... a reflection of the times I guess.

I had a 90k service done on my 1988 VW by VW dealership which included the fuel filter on bill. At 140k the car started skipping and a roll window broke. The service advisor at the same VW dealership showed me that I had an OEM fuel filter on it with German writing all over it. They also repaired the window properly.

When I said I will go show you a bill where you changed my filter. The service writer said you are all set, no charge for all repair work.

My brother used the same dealership to replace his timing belt. Well 10k miles later it snapped a few hundred miles away on his Passat at idle (luckily no bent valves). The dealer far away stated the belt was never changed although my brother had a bill for it. VW covered it under their 1 year/1200 0 mile repair warranty.

Seems odd two repairs skipped. Maybe a crooked tech?

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
My buddy got his dad to buy him a (I think) 70 AMX (this was in 1973, IIRC). He was driving it at 120 and the wheel shook pretty bad. So, he got his dad to authorize him using his credit car to get an alignment. We stopped in a Firestone type outfit and the manager said that they could do it while we waited. He walked outside and began looking a little bit (this guy was a long sleeve and tie type -fairly well groomed) ..he pushes the front end down and peeks under the wheel wells. He says, "You've been bottoming out. You should consider having the shocks changed while you're getting it aligned. Now, we can align it ..but the first bump you hit when you leave here ..and it's gone.". So, my buddy gets back on the phone and asks his dad if he can do shocks. He says yes and the car gets pulled in to have new front shocks and air shocks put on the back.

While we're sitting there the guy is on the phone with a customer that had dropped their car off. "Mr. Smith ...You've been bottoming out. Now, we can align it ..but the first bump that you hit when you leave here .....". My friend and I just looked at each other and shrugged.

You gotta love it when you're viewed as a ripe crop to be harvested for someone's bonus check
dunno.gif

Funny you mention Firestone. I was there a few years back with my Jeep having some tires put on. I had recently replaced all 4 shocks myself on the Jeep. So while the Jeep is in the air, the service advisor comes over and says that my shocks are leaking! I said straight out " no they aren't I just replaced them with 4 new ones". I said to have your crew check their eyes. Afterwards he came out again and said that it must have been some rainwater that splashed on them (it was raining that day). He wanted to cover his a$$ in case I called their HQ to complain probably.
As soon as you show some automotive knowledge, they change their story. I watch them like a hawk whenever I bring my car in anywhere that has a observation window. If it doesnt have a window, I don't go there.

quote:

Originally posted by John_E:
*-Lube joints are discussed from time to time on the VW Passat and Audi forums. Our cars have the additional challenges of the belly pan (10 fasteners at dropoff, alot fewer at pickup) and the "sealed" ZF automatic transmission, which requires special synthetic fluid and temperature monitoring with a scanner when setting fluid level. The 1.8Ts need a larger-than-original oil filter which cannot be installed without pulling the throttle body's air inlet hose and/or the coolant recovery tank's three mounting screws, and they absolutely must have syntheitc oil to prevent "sludge" [sic] / coke formation. Because of the undersized oil sump, oil level is critical. There is NO WAY I would take my wife's Passat or my son's A4 to *-Lube, PepBoys, etc.

And there's NO WAY I would ever want to own any one of those *** cars...lol

My brother took his Mountaineer to a Firestone for new tires and dropped it off. About an hour later he got a call it was redy but he needed a tranmission service. He said then I have a problem. The manager asked why and he told them he had just picked it up three days earlier from getting the transmission rebuilt and if it already needed a service he had a problem. The manager called him back and said he got the vehicle confused with another one and the transmission was fine.

quote:

Originally posted by tnt31:
My brother took his Mountaineer to a Firestone for new tires and dropped it off. About an hour later he got a call it was redy but he needed a tranmission service. He said then I have a problem. The manager asked why and he told them he had just picked it up three days earlier from getting the transmission rebuilt and if it already needed a service he had a problem. The manager called him back and said he got the vehicle confused with another one and the transmission was fine.

Yeah right!

A friend last year took his Camry to Tire Kingdom in Broward County for a oil change[first misstake]then they called him later and told him he needed tie rods and a ton of other front end crap.He told them they just did the tie rods and the other stuff on his last oil change.They called back later and said it all a misstake and everything was actually ok.

The idiot still goes back there.Some people never learn.

Just imagine all the people they screw over and over and the people haven't a clue.More so the elderly.These rip off places do so good down here that they actually open up a whole bunch of other rip off places.Plus when you drive by the place it is loaded with cars with all the people getting ripped off.

Don't forget that your blinker fluid is low and looks dirty. We have a blinker fluid flush machine. I need to tell you that the blinker fluid system is the number one system that is overlooked and least maintand. You are lucky that we caugh it in time. If you do not flush the system to day you will face a catistrofice blinker system failure.

Lucky for you we'll sell you our laaaast jug of synthetic blinker fluid for $25. The jug looks empty, but that's because the fluid, uh, blinked off. By the time you get home, it should have blinked on again.

Did I mention we don't accept returns on blinker fluid? Some dishonest people have returned empty jugs of blinker fluid while *claiming* there was never anything in them. The nerve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back