Oil catch can

Yes, some engines do have poorly designed PCV and many don't do too well with a warn out higher blow-by engine. Lucky for me that my Nissan/Toyota PCV nightmares were not GDI.
Some engine put too much oil in the top of the engine that doesn't drain back all that well, and benefits from external valve cover to pan oil return lines.
Racing hobbyist...well, the automaker doesn't know what many of us do with our cars. Keep the catch can and enjoy the vehicle you built because you exceeded the OE PCV design. But, I would say the commuting majority doesn't spend much time on the track or try for the 50-150% power increase.
I have seen PCV failures and updates from automakers, but those are farther and fewer with the newer GDI and TGDI engines. I sometimes wonder if some purposely want consumption to force the clean oil top offs(which is beyond too many consumers), knowing all well that their tuning dumps fuel in the oil, because the regular fuel recommendation with some overly high compression ratio squish or excessive low rpm boost from quick spooling turbos, requiring excessive fix-it fuel ratios.

Catch can is easy way to verify oil consumption. It it catches little, then your engine is sucking oil from another seal... valves or oil rings. I see it as a troubleshooting tool. I don't own PCV nightmares anymore.

Yes, some engines do have poorly designed PCV and many don't do too well with a warn out higher blow-by engine. Lucky for me that my Nissan/Toyota PCV nightmares were not GDI.
Some engine put too much oil in the top of the engine that doesn't drain back all that well, and benefits from external valve cover to pan oil return lines.
Racing hobbyist...well, the automaker doesn't know what many of us do with our cars. Keep the catch can and enjoy the vehicle you built because you exceeded the OE PCV design. But, I would say the commuting majority doesn't spend much time on the track or try for the 50-150% power increase.
I have seen PCV failures and updates from automakers, but those are farther and fewer with the newer GDI and TGDI engines. I sometimes wonder if some purposely want consumption to force the clean oil top offs(which is beyond too many consumers), knowing all well that their tuning dumps fuel in the oil, because the regular fuel recommendation with some overly high compression ratio squish or excessive low rpm boost from quick spooling turbos, requiring excessive fix-it fuel ratios.

Catch can is easy way to verify oil consumption. It it catches little, then your engine is sucking oil from another seal... valves or oil rings. I see it as a troubleshooting tool. I don't own PCV nightmares anymore.
I just replaced my PCV with a new more stout revision as I was blowing a smoke screen at the last track event according to a buddy following me. Glad it worked b/c I don't want to run a CC if I don't have to!

I installed a duel valve catch can on my explorer @300 miles. Checked it @1k and this is what it looked like. It has been pretty cold in Colorado over the last few weeks. Not a hint of water. idk.

UMggac3.jpg

I put the J&L catch can kit on my 2022 Nissan Frontier's VQ38DD mainly as a curiosity thing, but also because I got it cheap second hand and the install on this particular vehicle is clean, simple and fairly unobtrusive.

So far with winter use I'm seeing about an ounce per 1000 miles of what looks like 75% water to 25% oil/fuel.

The only way freezing could be an issue is if you allow the can to fill to the top, it freezes solid and blocks flow.

You have to be willing to check and dump these things regularly. They're not for the standard vehicle owner who uses dealer/shop maintenance.
WamZcgNl.jpg

S0EoNwwl.jpg

zBUYnkbl.jpg

I'm very surprised to see folks using these with the additional care they require on "basic" street-driven vehicles.

I'm very surprised to see folks using these with the additional care they require on "basic" street-driven vehicles.
Usually only people who are car enthusiasts will even know what one of these are and for those types of people, they usually don't mind doing a little extra if they think it helps.

I run catch cans on my 2014 Mustang GT, my fiancé's 2007 Mustang GT, and her 2017 F150. Adding a catch can to her 07 Mustang when it had around 8,000 miles on it, stopped the blue smoke on startup. Her car pulls tons of oil through the PVC system. The lines were soaking wet when I first installed the can. A catch can was the first thing I installed on my car after buying it new.

All of these engines are stock. Will it make a difference long term, who knows but having them on the vehicles makes me feel better and it doesn't hurt anything.

Many data exist to show that a CC will do zero for this. I don't know why folks are so worried about it - if you keep the vehicle long enough add a carbon cleaning to your maintenance...maybe...if you even have cold misfires etc. from it. The PITA/hassle of a catch can for what I can tell is zero benefit isn't worth it. I have 3 DI vehicles in my stable, the Focus is 10 years old and runs fine at ~125K and has never had a intake valves cleaning...I see no reason to do anything even thoough I'm sure there are carbon deposits at this point. The VW Golf Sportwagen had it's valves cleaned b/c they were replacing the water pump/in there, they didn't need it/weren't having issues/looked pretty good.
Thanks / good info.(y)
Mr Emmett Fitz-Hume ;)
LOL , I watched it late last nite.

Especially in cold weather FREEZE zone areas.
That's what I mean, you have to sometimes remove it in those conditions. It's just something else to mess with/maintain for no value driving around in a basic street vehicle. It's a track piece of kit.

If you guys are serious about catch cans, look up ProVent.

Those chinesium cans with fish tank filters are just marketing hype designed to separate nothing else but you from your money are just that. You can get the same results with two hoses shoved into a coke can.

You can do so much more with $40 from home depot.

Me thinks beating the snot out of a car for 6 months with bolts backing out the tensioner and chain rattling a few times warrant a few more 0's before the % mark.
I've seen plenty of the VW GDI engines without the high RPM use also show v. little carbon/not enough to care after quite a while. This concern is mainly internet boogieman stuff left over from 10+ years ago. Use the correct oil and fuel.

I've seen plenty of the VW GDI engines without the high RPM use also show v. little carbon/not enough to care after quite a while. This concern is mainly internet boogieman stuff left over from 10+ years ago. Use the correct oil and fuel.
I do not disagree with this statement you made. The previous 100% one, I do. You need more 0's.

We all have opinions, The fact that oil it collected was not blasted into the turbo/intercooler/head/valves is a plus IMO. Being my engine is DI only and no fuel sees the back of the valves I will take whatever I can get to extend life of the engine.

If you guys are serious about catch cans, look up ProVent.

Those chinesium cans with fish tank filters are just marketing hype designed to separate nothing else but you from your money are just that. You can get the same results with two hoses shoved into a coke can.

You can do so much more with $40 from home depot.

This is the one I have, works under vac and boost. It was a gift, not sure I would pay that price. Also have the billet PCV I can adjust flow. There are check valves in the hoses.

We all have opinions, The fact that oil it collected was not blasted into the turbo/intercooler/head/valves is a plus IMO. Being my engine is DI only and no fuel sees the back of the valves I will take whatever I can get to extend life of the engine.
How exactly is this extending the life of your engine? There isn't even good evidence to support it extendes how long you have to go before you clean your valves.

How exactly is this extending the life of your engine? There isn't even good evidence to support it extendes how long you have to go before you clean your valves.
I've seen plenty of evidence. Take my fa20dit for example. It would cake the valves in 20k miles regardless of oil, fuel, driving conditions. The s4, had to clean the valves on a 40k mile engine. Mini turbo, those things were so caked, it would cause misfires. Mk7 golf r. Same thing.

Can't judge every occasion by your car or driving style. While I agree Italian tune up helps, many cars do not see the use yours does. I bet your car spends more time on the opposite side of vacuum than it does in it.

This is the one I have, works under vac and boost. It was a gift, not sure I would pay that price. Also have the billet PCV I can adjust flow. There are check valves in the hoses.
I would pay those prices, and have.

Quality costs money. While most of people in this country have gotten so used to cheap Chinese stuff and marketing hype, there are some of us that still pay for quality components.

That Chinese stuff could cost you a motor, or worse the economy.

ProVent has been proven over and over again in many offroad applications and lots of road racing. On the street too.

Quality costs money. While most of people in this country have gotten so used to cheap Chinese stuff and marketing hype, there are some of us that still pay for quality components.

ProVent has been proven over and over again in many offroad applications and lots of road racing. On the street too.
(y)

Maybe I didn't post a link or it got deleted idk

either way I have this one, a UPR dual valve that runs a dirty side and clean side.

https://www.uprproducts.com/2020-23...al-valve-oil-catch-can-plug-n-play-with-ecss/

Back