Oil cans must have been a real PITA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know who used the same church key for both their oil and beverage cans, and how thoroughly it was wiped off in between.

I wiped it off on my pants leg for the 1st. one, after that, who cares?
cheers.gif

I still have 5 of those cardboard cans. The holes punched by the oil spout are just right for draining plastic oil bottles into. When not being used, they are covered by plastic lids from various products, mostly peenut cans.
grin.gif

Every so often, they are drained into a 5qt. oil jug using a funnel with a brass screen in it. Oil jugs are drained into a 3lb. coffee can. I still have 2 or 3 of those oil spouts around somewhere.
burnout.gif

Remember when Navin R. Johnson worked at the gas station? The shooter "hated those cans!"
("The Jerk" for those that don't remember)

otis24
Member # 10096

About a year or so ago, I saw a web site for BOB (Bottom Of the Barrel). It was a funnel/bucket set up for draining every drop of oil from the quart. Haven't been able to find that site though.

I just saw one of those at my local Shell oil change joint. It's a long funnel with a plastic container at the bottom. The techs drop the almost-empty oil bottle into the top of the funnel and let it drain down. The contraption is bolted to the side of the dispenser pump thing for all the bulk oils they use.

Just found this: http://www.recycledproducts.com/index.php?cid=27

And heeeeeerreee's BOB!!

http://www.bob2000.com/

Tons of super cool OCI toys and gadgets here:

http://www.gizmos-gadgets.com/index.php/cPath/17

Remember, after finding this stuff you guys owe me!!
fruit.gif

offtopic.gif
Speaking of opening beer cans, remember between the church key opening cans and the current design they had the pull tabs that ended up littering the streets. People also would form chains from the pull tabs. But the macho thing to do was to pull it off and shove it into the can. I suppose a few guys choked on the tab when they guzzled a beer.

den - same thing, used plastic lid from coffee can.

Also I had a gizmo for puncturing the cans that had a funnel, you inverted the can onto it, put it in the valve cover and then had a lever that you used to push the can onto the puncture device..... worked pretty well. Don't know if I've described it right.

John K. I remember that device. It was a funnel with a piercing piece pointing up where the funnel had a longer side that held the can. A trigger like on a cheap caulking gun forced the can down on the piercing part.

In my first car I used QS in a metal can...it was kinda cool actually. I'm not sure how many distributed in a metal...

StressSolutions wrote:

>

I remember those little square rubber gaskets. I still had to wrap paper towels or an old rag around the spout where it went into the can, though. Made me feel like a real mechanic while changing my oil.

And while the cans were attractive, and stackable, I love the bottles. They weigh less, for one thing. But I still find myself using a funnel to keep from dripping new oil all over the engine. That hasn't changed. . . .

Looking at the OCi gadgets at http://www.gizmos-gadgets.com/index.php/cPath/17, I have to ask: Is there anybody who makes a metal oil drain pan that seals on top, instead of down low where the oil sloshes?

I ask because of my horrible experience two years ago with my plastic drain pan from PB or AZ. Bloody thing began to leak from the screw-on cap during the oil change!

I use a Topsider now, which does provide the sealable can, but it seems like all the oil drain pans on the market are plastic. Just wondering.

offtopic.gif

Tallpaul;

I actually remember as a kid watching an episode of that Fireman show "Emergency" where they saved the life of a guy choking on a beer tab!

At the end of the show I can still remember the doctor in a white coat saying "Tell your dad to drink his beer out of a glass..."

Why I remember that so clearly I don't know.

Is this thread a blast from the past or what!! I loved that show "Emergency"! (My sister had the hots for the doctor). And yes, I am both old enough to remember the "church key" opening both the beer cans/coke cans and oil cans AND the chains made from beer tabs. It was embarrassing for me. My mom had made a bunch of them and used them to tie back the curtains all over the house. I bring my girlfriend, (now my wife of 20 years) home to "meet the parents." We had been married about ten years when she finally told me when she first walked in my folks house and saw those curtain chains, she kept thinking, "these people sure do drink a lot of beer."

GEE what memories this topic brings back for me! I did all those things!

I remember when I had to carry extra oil for my AMF/H-D 74" Shovelhead, when "Touring". I would have 3-4 qts. with me, a few days worth. I made funnels from many things until I could freehand pouring it in the oil fill hole which was the size of a half-dollar; Anyone remember those?
cheers.gif

Metal cans weren't so bad. Poke a couple holes in the top and pour it in. Use a church key, oil spout, screwdriver, pocket knife, whatever was on hand. Make a funnel out of the corner of a cardboard box.Partial cans, the plastic lid off one of my Dad's Sanka coffe cans fit just right.

Funny thing seems that everything back then took 30w HD. I remember grocery stores and such putting Quacker state oil on sale for .39 a quart. You had the choice of 30w ND, 30w HD, 40w HD and one multigrade but I don't remember if it was 10w-30 or what, but it came in a gold can.

Some of you younger fellahs could learn a few things about the "simpler times".

Forgot about those cans. Used to rinse them out and use them for for toting water, gas, insectide, whatever.
shocked.gif
Hey, they were free.
grin.gif

Speedydry cost money. We used sand. Just stick a shovel in next to the building. Sweep it up and through it on the driveway.
grin.gif
Lots of sand where i grew up.
freak2.gif

[ February 10, 2006, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Oldmoparguy1 ]

oldmoparguy you'd be mad in discount stores now where dino oil comes in 9 quart cases and synthetic in six-packs!

The cans went out in the 80's around here. I remember helping my grandfather stock them in his grocery store. What was really bad was using your opener on your oil then on your Hawaiian Punch! LOL

I don't remember 24 can cases, but I recall, there were a lot more oil soaked cases. Those cans leaked a lot easier from rough handling of the cases.

Never seen 9 packs. Dino comes in cases of 12 around here. I know about the quarter cases of
syn. I have 12 of them with M1. That means that I actually have 3 full cases of M1.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Same thing has happened to beer. Used to get a case of Papst blue ribbon. 24 16oz. bottles in a returnable case. $.02 eash deposit on the bottles, $2.00 on the case. No cans at all.
tongue.gif

Those were my good ol days.
worshippy.gif

Metal cans for me please... Here's one company who switched back to the metal boxes with peel-off top stickers for their antifreezes. I re-cap them with aluminum tape. Simple. I never use a funnel, I just shoot
smile.gif
Yep, index finger on the top nick for fine adjustment, elevate it for thinner pour coulumn at the target. They have acoustics, but won't glug if you don't want to, and you know how much remained if glugs. They have the novelty, they recalls some experience and a deft hand. Gosh, even the 'deft' sounds outdated. Well... plastic bottles are objects but metal cans are an event!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back