Oil burners .. old story, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the issue that they are using thin conventional oil that's going to evaporate under normal operating conditions?

I used to think like that guy in the shop until I learned about volatility.
As for the Bmw's I don't know, because I didn't think they would be putting 5w20 conventional oil in those engines.
I'm asking for information, to get a better understanding.

The Lady is talking like she has to get rid of this thing but it's almost a new car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wildmanrandall
Isn't the issue that they are using thin conventional oil that's going to evaporate under normal operating conditions?
Perish the thought.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Perish the thought.

I thought most of the Euro models required synthetic and used grades like 0W-40??

If a franchise dealer is going to tell you in the service drive that burning a quart of oil every 1K miles is normal and that's exactly what they do, then you should be told that at the time of purchase about this and that it could happen to you.

Someone here at work has a new Audi that does just that and he's in a battle with the dealer over this problem. It means that if he is doing say 10K oil change intervals then he has to be responsible for adding 10 quarts of the exact spec oil between oil changes and still has have the oil changed even though he's changing it as he goes. I asked him about the idea of such a disclosure and he said he would have never considered the purchase under those circumstances.

We never have to worry about our coffee getting cold. We just put the cold cup in his hands and say, "Audi" and it boils.

I used to think like that guy in the shop until I learned about volatility.
As for the Bmw's I don't know, because I didn't think they would be putting 5w20 conventional oil in those engines.
I'm asking for information, to get a better understanding.

The Lady is talking like she has to get rid of this thing but it's almost a new car.

Subaru has changed its tune, and has been replacing short blocks in cars that use a quart in 3600 miles. Or.....As they prefer to put it......1/3 quart in 1200 miles. I believe that to be a rational consumption rate, as opposed to the quart per 1200 miles they originally considered normal.

Looks like German cars drink oil.

It cracks me up, German cars are so highly touted(German engineering), but those high end German cars have rotten reliability, high maintenance costs, and terrible resale value.

Now they drink oil like there is no tomorrow. I know I will have the BMW lovers tell me that their Bimmer doesn't use a DROP of oil.

Originally Posted By: stchman

It cracks me up, German cars are so highly touted(German engineering), but those high end German cars have rotten reliability, high maintenance costs, and terrible resale value.

What is the impact of oil consumption? Nothing. Its all mental.

The reliability, maintenance and resale are impactfull but you have to pay to play.

Kids don't grow up dreaming of driving economy cars.

Yep, no impact, other than spending more money and the potential for a damaged engine. No impact at all....

Of course you could argue about emissions or converter life, decreased performance, valve deposits, etc. Unless they are using the magical oil that turns into fairy dust when burnt.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

What is the impact of oil consumption? Nothing. Its all mental.

The reliability, maintenance and resale are impactful but you have to pay to play.

Kids don't grow up dreaming of driving economy cars.

I don't know about you, but if I would spend $80K on a car, I expect a level of reliability and attention to detail that is a lot greater than a car that costs $25K.

So IYO an $80K new car that uses a lot of oil is OK with you?

[

Yes. The most important thing to me is that the machine is fun to drive. And most people agree. Its a problem for the weirdos here who obsess over such details.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
[

Yes. The most important thing to me is that the machine is fun to drive. And most people agree. Its a problem for the weirdos here who obsess over such details.

So fun to drive and not being an oil burner are mutually exclusive? Most people agree that a car being an oil burner is a non-issue?

I guess I have higher expectations.

Not sure when Subaru changed their mind on what amount was acceptable consumption. I do know that in January of this year I took my wife's 13 Outback in to the dealer to discuss the quart per 13-1400 miles I was putting in. They told me then that it was acceptable. I traded it in a month later.

Anyone who buys a new car without doing the research involved in determining the suitability of the car they purchased has no one to blame but himself.
A tiny amount of time online on the part of your co-worker would have revealed the potential for a new Audi to consume serious amounts of oil.
For this to be a surprise to him indicates that he had no idea of the package he was buying.
German cars often use and leak oil.
This should be common knowledge but apparently isn't.
Adding a quart of oil every thousand or so is something I'd prefer not to have to do but is still not that big of a deal.
Every German car we've owned, all seven of them, has had a need for oil adds, in contrast to the eight Hondas we've owned, which didn't and don't.
I expected these results from both going in and was therefore not disappointed with either.
If you educate yourself on the cars you buy before handing over the check, then you'll never be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back