Oil Banter: Current oil grades in my "fleet"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm looking for some input on what you all think of my oil ideas. I've been reading quite a bit and taking my 10+ years driving experience (only 28, or dang I'm old at 28, depending on whoever is reading this lol) about my choices, or preferences, in oil:

1990 Nissan 300ZX non turbo at 151K: HDEO 5w40 (Currently Delo, but I like T6) with Wix filters every 3K or every 6 months. I don't drive this car often, so I like the idea of having the HDEO oil with high detergents and good levels of ZDDP to keep in the engine. I'm not averse to running a high mileage synthetic in the VG30DE either, I just know this VG's like ZDDP, and the only noticeable leak I can find appears to be coming from the rear main seal. It's a very slow leak, whatever it is, and I plan on swapping to the twin turbo setup at some point, so it's not worth it for me to change out the rear main unless something drastic happens with the transmission or I have massive oil loss.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 at 273k: Syn Blend High Mileage 10w40. Currently Mobil 1 5000, but I prefer Valvoline MaxLife. According to Mobil's site, the full synthetic would be better for hot temperatures. This thing has been well maintained, and runs like it has 100K, not over 200, so I'm not concerned with switching to full syn, but I'm not sure I'd reap the benefits of a full syn. I'd prefer changing the oil every 3-5,000 miles just to keep the old gunk out and the insides as clean as possible. I'm hoping to get to 350,000 on the 5.9 Magnum before it pops. Maybe a switch to Valvoline Full Syn MaxLife 5w30 or Mobil 1 HM 10w40 would be better?

2009 Toyota Matrix 1.8L at 62k: Full Syn; 0w20 winter, 5w30 summer. Currently Valvoline Full Syn MaxLife 5w30. This is the car that gets daily driven on highways and city (I live in Orlando) so although I do like the fuel economy of the low weight oils, I like the idea of protecting the motor from summer heat even more. Obviously the MaxLife is overkill, but I figure if I start the HM Full Syn changes now, and continue them every 5,000 miles, I'll have one very well maintained leak free engine that I hope to get 200K out of. Before the Valvoline ML HM change, I was using Castrol Magnatec 0w20 that seemed to run well. Used Edge black bottle 0w20 before that, but I change my oil around 5,000 miles consistently.

Thoughts? Advice? Appreciate it all!

I'd go with T6 in both the Nissan and Jeep and stick with one oil in the Toyota, either 0W-20 or 5W-30 year-round. You live in Florida so you don't really have winter weather to worry about.

The 300ZX runs real hot under there (well the twin turbo does) and we used to have them cooking water and fuel hoses under the manifold - bake and crack, fuel or water leaks everywhere. That M1 15w50 sounds like what I'd be running.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
there is a guy on here with a 300ZX that has apparently had VERY good results with M1 15w50 in his

I really liked how M1 15w50 performed when I tried out that oil. I went to a 5w40 cause at the time, the Z was my daily driver, and I thought I could eek out a slight MPG increase with an HDEO 5w40 versus the M1 15w50. Wouldn't mind going back to that oil at all, actually have that oil, Castrol 5w50 and Valvoline VR1 oil in my mind for the TT oil when I do the swap.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I'd go with T6 in both the Nissan and Jeep and stick with one oil in the Toyota, either 0W-20 or 5W-30 year-round. You live in Florida so you don't really have winter weather to worry about.

I'm thinking of sticking with the Valvoline Full Syn 5w30 in the Matrix. Maybe 5w20 for winter if I can't find the 30.

I definitely want a high mileage blend in the Jeep. 273,000+ miles in a hot 5.9 engine bay in a very hot climate.... yikes LOL

Originally Posted By: Silk
The 300ZX runs real hot under there (well the twin turbo does) and we used to have them cooking water and fuel hoses under the manifold - bake and crack, fuel or water leaks everywhere. That M1 15w50 sounds like what I'd be running.

VG's seem to really like 50 weight oils, but lots of Z guys say good ol' 10w30 anything works just fine for the non-turbo variation. Depends on the peripheral maintenance, like the timing belt and making sure the oil stays in the block, not leaking out from valve covers, front seals, oil pan etc. The TT's come stock with an oil cooler, and even still I see lots of TT owners using a Xw50 wt oil.

If your oil usage is low or non-existant, you don't need the HM variants. All those typically have on the regular oils is a bit more detergents, more oil seal sweller, and sometimes a tad more viscosity. You don't need the seal sweller for higher mileage vehicles if you don't have leaks. The extra detergents and viscosity can just as easily be gotten by stepping up to a stronger grade oil. 62K miles is not high mileage, nor does 275K have to be either.

The Mobil 5000 as I read the Mobil web site is not a syn blend, it's straight conventional. If your car has had mostly conventional for the last 50K-100K miles or more, you might show more oil use on synthetics as they clean up the engine and leak past seals. The 0W-20 might give you that. Don't see any need for 0W in your climate. I'd stick to nothing lower than 5W. And since your ZX does have a leak, I'd probably run a HM variant in that. A 10W or 15W might also help to reduce that real main seal leak and get you an oil less prone to shearing. If you're driving the ZX only 3K-6K miles per year, and little to no short tripping, you can probably do an annual oil change on a quality HM synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Dumc87
So I'm looking for some input on what you all think of my oil ideas. ...

I'm confused, for the first two vehicles you say you prefer one oil but are using another....
confused2.gif
No matter.....

1990 Nissan 300ZX non turbo at 151K: HDEO 5w40 (Currently Delo, but I like T6) with Wix filters every 3K or every 6 months. I don't drive this car often, ...

Far too often. Using those oils with limited driving, at least a year and 6000 miles. Maybe more.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 at 273k: Syn Blend High Mileage 10w40. Currently Mobil 1 5000, but I prefer Valvoline MaxLife. ... I'm hoping to get to 350,000 on the 5.9 Magnum before it pops. Maybe a switch to Valvoline Full Syn MaxLife 5w30 or Mobil 1 HM 10w40 would be better?

Keep doing what you're doing @ 273k miles. Maxlife should take you easily to 5k. Since you mentioned it, changing to synthetic at that mileage -- may result in finding a few leaks. If you're prepared to fix them by all means switch to synthetic and run it at least 7500 miles. Also, since you prefer the T6 5w40 in the NIssan, it would make sense to use in the Jeep as well as I've seen some UOAs on here for that vintage V8 with T6 and they looked good.

2009 Toyota Matrix 1.8L at 62k: Full Syn; 0w20 winter, 5w30 summer. Currently Valvoline Full Syn MaxLife 5w30. This is the car that gets daily driven on highways and city (I live in Orlando) ...

Orlando? Absolutely no concerns or need for a different winter oil, where the temperature rarely if ever even gets to freezing. IMO 5w30 would be fine year round. Again with only 5k on a full synthetic you've got a lot of life left in that oil. You didn't say what percentage in town or highway, but since it's a DD it may pay you to extend your interval with a UOA.

Thoughts? Advice? Appreciate it all!

Hope that was helpful.

edit: Yeah what he said:
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

Last edited:
SpecialtyZ recommends 15W50 and 20W50 for the twin turbo 300ZX. I run a minimum of 10W40 in my non-turbo. But I'll be going back to 15W/20W50 next oil change. Here's the only 2 uoa's I've ever done. The 3200 mile one is RP SJ rated 20W50 and the 3000 mile one is M1 10W40 High Mileage.

24mweo9.jpg

For the Z, what do you guys think about a 3qt M1 15w50 1qt M1 5w30 HM mix? Could get the seal conditioners and the high weight I prefer.

Magnum's seem to like just about anything lol T5 is an interesting choice. Cheap and available pretty often. Syn blend. Hmm. Interesting indeed.

The Matrix will probably just get 5w30 from here on out. I just liked the makeup of the Valvoline FS ML when I use to do my oil research years ago. Now I see Pennzoil and Castrol are doing full syn HM blends now too. It doesn't cost much more, if any, to use the HM blend, so I'm kinda preferential to the HM additives for daily use around here.

I can't really give a percentage because when I drive to work, it's 90% highway, 10% city/idle. If my dad drives it, it's 90% city/idle, 10% highway. And anywhere in between lol

--

What about oil filters? I like to stick with Wix. Actually have 5 Carquest/Wix filters I ordered a few months ago for the Z.

But I also see Fram Synthetic filters have been performaing as well as Bosch Distance and M1 filters. Fram Syn filters a good choice? The Jeep currently has one.

The Matrix usually gets a K&N cartridge as, oddly enough, it's usually the most available and cheapest cartridge I find around here.

Last edited:
With all the updates with oil currently and after some more research with car specific forum/people, my current oil preference goes:

300ZX - Mobil1 HM 10w40 (Mobil1 15w50 or Castrol 5w50, which I haven't seen often)
Jeep - HDEO 5w40 or 15w40. Currently Valvoline Maxlife 15w40, but the Rotella T5 10w30 is a great option.
Matrix - Pennzoil Pure Plus HM 5w20. Thin enough to be DexOS approved, thick enough to protect in heat. Plus I like the whole natural gas base thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back