Oil and filter suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi y'all. I'm new to this forum and looking for advice on oil and filters.

1. 2003 Mazda Protege5 2.0l 225k miles
2. Manual says 5w30 for -15°f to 95°f or 10w30 for -5° to 95°f, API SL OR ILSAC schedule 1 says 7.5k changes and schedule 2 is 5k changes
3.Utah, Us.
4. I do accelerate a little aggressively but not overly so. The on ramps in Utah seem to be a little short. Then I use cruise set at 69mph
5.Mostly interstate commute about 50 miles a day. (25 each way)
6. Oil consumption about 1qt per month. However I just replaced the head so I'm hoping that resolved most of that and haven't driven enough to monitor consumption

Typically I use mobil1 oil and filter I buy when on sale at AutoZone and get high milage when I can and have been using 5w30. I have been changing at 3k since I bought the car last year at 205k now at 225k. I like using full synthetic and looking to make engine last as long as possible. 2 weeks ago I replaced head, gaskets, plugs, and oil. I have amazon prime so don't mind buying oil there with free shipping but haven't yet. When I pulled the old head there was a lot of carbon build up on piston head and a decent amount on cylinder head and in intake manifold. I believe the valve guide seals and head gasket were both leaking. I know head gasket was leaking coolant into cylinder 2 and 3 and loosing compression into coolant as well. I have a new head with valves and seals installed now. There wasn't any unusual build up in valve train of sludge and was a normal color for 255k.

What oil and filter would y'all recommend and at what interval?

Any quality oil that meets the engine requirements will be fine. Walmart has many name brands.

But if you like Mobil 1 oil & filter, then go for it.

Avoid Dollar store oil.

What you've been doing is just fine. Now, you could save money and buy something a bit cheaper for your intervals, or go longer on the premium synthetic, but that's up to you. Things are obviously working just fine.

35.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald

Avoid Dollar store oil.

Like all things.... it depends
I currently have over 10,000 miles on my 5W-30 Semi-Synth oil change of "American XT" from Family Dollar (on clearance when a store closed). The oil bottle clearly states it is Warren Oil, which is good stuff. So, YMMV.

3,000 mile OCI's on Mobil 1 is overkill... I always run it over 10K.

Oil is oil [with the proper ratings] M1 is one of the top oils so you are using a fine oil.

As your neighbor to the north, welcome to bitog. I have two Mazda Proteges with the same engine that you have and I like these cars a lot. Since you are using Mobil 1 synthetic oil and most of your driving is on the interstate with plenty of time to get the engine up to operating temperature, I would lengthen out your oil change interval to about 6 months or 10000 miles which ever occurs first. These engines only hold a little over 3 quarts of oil so watch the oil level and keep it topped up. Since you just replaced the cylinder head, the first oil and filter change could be at the 3000 mile mark to flush any construction debris. With longer intervals, I recommend up grading to a longer life filter like Wix, Napa Gold or the Fram Ultra that people on this web site prefer. Check the air inlet hose between the air filter and the throttle body to be sure that it does not have cracks developing in the bottom of the rubber corrugations. Finally, wash the wheel well arches and under-body real well because these cars are prone to rust from winter road salt. Good Luck fellow Mazda owner.

Cabin filter too! Which reminds me that I need to order one off of RockAuto.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

Any high mileage oil and a Wix filter will be fine for the factory spec OCI.

A full synthetic can probably do 10k with no problems.

My first choice would be a HM oil, and if that doesn;t slow down consumption enough, then add a can of Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver

Originally Posted By: emersonlennon
No cabin filter in this model

Your Protege5 might have a provision for the cabin filter, even if your car lacks it. If a cabin filter was optional on the P5 and/or the sedan, you may very well have the tray that the cabin filter goes in
smile.gif

check this out

Your using about 1 quart/1,000 miles so a quality HM oil and a Fram tough guard every 6,0-7,000 miles. I see no need for an expensive synthetic or this easy highway driving. Ed

For what it's worth I will jump in with my opinion. My Nissan takes just over 3 quarts of oil. That isn't much at all really. So that oil gets beat up pretty bad I am thinking. Nissan wants me to change it out at 3750 miles with my type of city stop and go driving. So I do. Nissan does say if I do lots of freeway driving I can extend my oil change miles to around 7500 I think. Nissan does not differentiate synthetic and conventional oils. Just change oil at so many miles. I don't do much freeway driving with my Versa Note so the shorter OCI is what I do.

My opinion is I don't think I would go that the extra miles on my vehicle even with a premium synthetic because of so little oil in the sump. So I buy a less expensive oil and change it more often. Now it is obvious to me others think I may be silly doing this. I am good with whatever they want to do with their car, and what you want to do with your car. I am just putting my opinion on the table as to what I do with a car that has similar oil capacity to yours. I have used ST conventional and synthetic 5w30, Castrol Edge 5w30, Pennzoil Gold 5w30 and Mobil 1 5w30. My fuel milage stays the same with all of them. Right now I have Chevron supreme 5w30 and all is well with the Nissan. Happy driving and stay safe on the road.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: emersonlennon
What are your thoughts on Lucas Oil Stabalizer?

As car51 pointed out, a total waste of money. My view is that if you wish to have thicker oil, buy a fully formulated thicker oil, rather than LOS. There is nothing in a modern, fully formulated motor oil that needs "stabilization," particularly from a half-baked product like that. It simply dilutes the oil additives, since it essentially has no additive package of its own.

I got a few gallons free, because there was a collapsed 55 gallon drum of the stuff round the back of what I think is a fire research lab here. They seem to get some weird stuff to test.

Couldn't think of a use for it, though.

Oh wait...that was fuel treatment, I think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back