Oil analysis/oil filter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I was wondering if you can tell the difference on an oil analysis between using a regular OEM filter and using a Mobil 1 or other similar premium filter? There was one person on the Edmunds board who says when he uses the premium filters he sees a difference on the oil analysis. What exactly changes on the analysis?

Right now I'm running an AC Delco filter on my Firebird and a K&N Performance Gold filter on my wife's car. We can't get the Mobil 1s up here. I may just try out the K&N a few oil changes later on my car once I have established a trend with my oil analysis reports.

At the same time, I don't want to spend $15 CDN for a filter when a $3 filter will do the same job!

I think the main thing is to use a synthetic media if going for truly extended intervals, ie; over 8k.

[ June 18, 2002, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

I have never been able to tell a difference in ppm readings of wear in a 10 micron spectrograpic test. Particle count maybe but not in what most here know as a oil analysis report.

I even tested the bypass systems against OEM full flow only with no appreciable difference in a automotive application( that includes the popular diesel pickup engines).

The smaller particles will be dispersed until drain if not trapped by the filter and in a good quality oil should not allow any wear.

Soot on the other hand in a heavy diesel engine is a different story.
I know I make Amsoil dealers mad when I say that the bypass in a waste of money but I genuinely think it is for the gas or smaller diesels. You MUST still change the fullflow filter at frequencies that are almost normal to keep the 20+ micron sized debris at bay or you oxidise the TBN right out of the oil regardless of brand.

I'm sure someone may have a variation to what I'm writing but this is our observation.

As far as longevity of the synthetic media and pressure resistance etc. I agree with SS that a high quality media and construction in the full flow is useful and longer lived. If your engine is tight and seals well a OEM filter may last 10000 or more miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back