Oil analysis in Formula 1 (Shell/ELF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/10/22/business/15729935&sec=business

Quote:
“This is the integral part of the team where the fuel and lubricant used for the weekend is tested up to 40 times to ensure drivers are able to get the best performance on the track,” he said.

“We start analysing the fuel and lubricant from Thursday morning right up to the race day on Sunday.”

http://www.anac-diagnosis.com/lub/lubana...004BF973&LG=EN&

Quote:
Analysis of the lubricant in service is common practice in the Renault- Elf F1 team for many years and can make the difference between victory or retirement from the race.

The knowledge of the mechanical condition of the engine before the start of a race is of capital importance: if the engine fails, a possible victory and championship chances will be lost.

However , the FIA rules only allow an engine change every 2 races. A premature engine change will make the car and driver loose 10 places on the starting grid, and therefore all chances of success in the race.

In order to make these vital decisions, the Elf and Renault engineers analyze oil samples of the Renault RS27 engine during development in the Viry-Châtillon Renault F1 development centre, during free practice sessions and between every run of the car at the race weekend. The samples are analyzed in the mobile Elf lab unit equipped with spectrometers measuring the metallic concentrations in the oil, generated by engine wear. The diagnosis based on these concentration help the engineers to decide to replace the engine or keep it in use.

I just want to know whether they're using Group III or Group IV oil.
55.gif
39.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Interesting there are no numbers from the UOAs.

you will never know unless you work for them. so much of the stuff is secret in F1 due to the high stakes and high money involved.

Originally Posted By: Drivebelt
I just want to know whether they're using Group III or Group IV oil.
55.gif
39.gif

I realize that the Shell article is from Oct-2006, but they claim they are the only ones to have a mobile track lab. The Elf-Renault article says they have a mobile track lab as well. I seriously doubt they only installed this since Oct-2006. What am I missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back