oil analysis containment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont have the official blackstone labs oil container in the mail yet so would a regular air tight tupperware plastic container work thats been washed in the dishwasher?

If you can wait, its better to wait on their container. Going from container to container is just asking for introducing contaminants.

You can't be absolutely sure that the tupperware you're planning on using won't be 100% dry, metal free, soap free, etc. It won't hurt anything to wait if you can just a little bit longer
smile.gif

If you're absolutely stuck, get a Pyrex container and use that. The material won't leech and can withstand higher temperatures.

Blackstone keeps me well stocked now, but there was one time they didn't get my containers to me quick enough, and the Pyrex worked for me. It is a pain in the neck though. If you can wait, it'll be easier for you.

Cheers, 3MP

Fire a laser at the sample and attempt to confine the plasma with a magnetic field of approx. 1500 Tesla.

I don't know why I injected that here. Sounded funny at the time.
tongue.gif

When I took a hugeass sample I used a "drinkin'" jar.....OK OK a quart mason jar.

1) Clean the heck out of it, after you run it through the dishwasher.
2) Repeat step 1.
3) Rinse 4 times with pure distilled H2O.
4) Repeat step 3.
5) Rinse with 99% IPA. (Isopropyl Alcohol)
6) Dry carefully in a warm electric oven.

Keep closed until use.

You get the point. Clean inert glass is ok.

I find that shipping is the larger issue. The container the oil is in needs to be in a leakproof container with a screw-on lid. This needs to be placed in an outer container that is also leakproof, and crush proof. Just throwing a bottle into a cardboard box with some newspaper won't cut it. Use the vendor-supplied shipping containers ONLY, please.

ive got 4200 miles on some schaeffers oil in my formula and Im not sure if I should go further I take lots of short trips and whatnot and I only went that far cause its supposed to be an extended drain interval oil. I ordered the stuff from blackstone a week or so ago should I wait, may have close to 5000 if not more by then??

Yeah, I'd just wait. It should be there any day now if it's been that long already. I doubt you'll do any serious damage in a couple of days.
smile.gif

it said it could take 2-3 weeks and it MAY have been only a week you think the shaeffers is atleast in OK condition I get a sick feeling when I drive it I dont want to do damage.

Well considering most new cars have the oil change light that comes on anywhere from 4k to 7k miles for regular dino oil I think you'll be fine. Schaeffers is good oil, you should be relieved when you get the analysis back.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 94 formula:
it said it could take 2-3 weeks and it MAY have been only a week you think the shaeffers is atleast in OK condition I get a sick feeling when I drive it I dont want to do damage.

You'll be totally fine, I'm going to 5k on this interval with Schaeffers in my 95 Formula and the next interval will be even longer (8k or so) Then next summer I'm going to run it from May to October, so it'll have close to 10k on it. This oil can handle it. Your UOA will prove it I'm sure.

quote:

Originally posted by 94 formula:

Don't sweat it man-life's too short. You will be more than fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back