oil advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, im about to change my oil,2001 honda civic,152,000, no leaks, no burning. 20 mile daily commute to work,%70 city driving. Previous owner did quaker state dino 520 every 5,000. I would like a better oil. Is it to many miles for synthetic? Is a high milage oil bad cause I have no leaks? Just confused as what to use? Thanks for any input you may have, you all are so helpful..Thank you.

My first choice would be PYB for that car. Or any syn-blend. Unless its leaking/burning oil, there shouldn't be much need for a HM oil, unless you're trying to keep your seals extra lubed...

Are you looking to extend your OCI ?
Or are you planning on sticking to the 5k mile OCI ?
Any current API SN dino will do the 5k with ease.
Quaker state is a good oil.

Originally Posted By: mrjlube
Is it to many miles for synthetic?

No.
Is a high milage oil bad cause I have no leaks?

No.
I would like a better oil.

Define "better"
Just confused as what to use?

5w-20 is the appropriate, factory approved viscosity for your '01 Civic -- run for 5,000 miles. Get an oil analysis. Report back.

What the previous owner had been using is one of the 3 best "conventional" oils on the market. I absolutely doubt you could do better. Some here are in the big moly fan camp and some boron fans - I guess you could mix PYB and QSGB 50/50 and get hgh moly and high boron
smile.gif

Pennzoil Bronze bottle is one of the best running 5w20 HM that's Ive used - afa gas mileage, power and smoothness.

If you want to really step up - The best over all 0w20 ive used had been - surprisingly - Valvoline Synpower. IT SEEMS A BIT SNAPPIER THAN the new Qatar PP and provided better gas mileage and same or better lack of varnish on the cams cover. (I cant see the all more important ring lands). Have fun - but Id stick to the qsgb. Your notion that there are better oils out there is misplaced if you don't know what "better " you need.
Better "protection" is a bunch of ridiculous ad-copy nothing and means absolutely NOTHING to you.

Last edited:
Not looking to extend per say, just want best protection, for our upcoming cold winter.

Last edited:
2001 honda civic,152,000, no leaks, no burning. ...Previous owner did quaker state dino 520 every 5,000.....
Enviable results. Nothing wrong with sticking with that oil. It is one of Royal Dutch Shell's many good oils. And, any of the similar top brand oils would give similar excellent results.

If you're looking for better cold start performance, then a 0w20 would be a reasonable step, but that puts you into synthetic territory. M1 0w20 AFE has the best cold pumping viscosity in a readily available oil.

And since you're in Michigan, I think you're going to need it this winter. Feels like winter is about a month away...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
If you're looking for better cold start performance, then a 0w20 would be a reasonable step, but that puts you into synthetic territory. M1 0w20 AFE has the best cold pumping viscosity in a readily available oil.

And since you're in Michigan, I think you're going to need it this winter. Feels like winter is about a month away...

Agreed. It is an excellent choice for cold winter starts
thumbsup2.gif

Not looking to extend per say, just want best protection, for our upcoming cold winter.
Define "protection" - like I said its a undefined meaningless term - you've been ad copy brainwashed. Given 3 oils that pump well - we have no data on which one will reduce wear over the other. I would try one that meets you budget and see how much racket it makes. Any mech E worth his salt will tell you More noise = more wear.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Any mech E worth his salt will tell you More noise = more wear.

As it applies to engine oil selection, you may want to rethink that statement.

Define "protection" - like I said its a undefined meaningless term - you've been ad copy brainwashed. Given 3 oils that pump well - we have no data on which one will reduce wear over the other. I would try one that meets you budget and see how much racket it makes. Any mech E worth his salt will tell you More noise = more wear.

Coming from the guy who has killed what, three engines in the last year? I find you dispensing advice on wear and lubrication a bit ironic
wink.gif

ARCO, you have to be the hardest person on vehicles I've ever heard of. Since nothing you own lasts, how can you speak on the topic of long term durability and wear if you've never experienced it?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Coming from the guy who has killed what, three engines in the last year? I find you dispensing advice on wear and lubrication a bit ironic
wink.gif

ARCO, you have to be the hardest person on vehicles I've ever heard of. Since nothing you own lasts, how can you speak on the topic of long term durability and wear if you've never experienced it?
Just regurgitating basic tenents of lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back