Oil advice... New Hyundai LWB Santa Fe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening all. We traded our 2.0T Santa Fe in for the long wheel base Sante Fe 3.3L GDI V6 last Saturday. Couple of questions... I am fairly old school when it comes to OCIs. I plan on doing a 4k OCI with this engine. Would QSAD be a decent choice for this DI engine? Or should I go with a synthetic? Also, I have typically dumped the original factory fill at around 1,000 miles. The dealer service rep advised this was not necessary as the factory fill has "break-in additives" and I should run it until at least 4k miles.

Any thoughts? Are OEMs adding mystery additives at the factory? Thanks in advanced.

I have the same engine in my 2015 KIA Sorento. Owners manual recommends 5W30 and thats on the oil fill cap too.

I have just over 500 miles on the engine and plan on running the factory fill to about 3000 miles and then will go with Royal Purple 5W30. It takes approximately 6 quarts and have purchased a 5 quart jug and a quart bottle at Wal-Mart and will have the dealer change it using the factory OEM filter.

I had a 2012 with the 3.5 liter fuel injected engine and like the way the DI engine runs and sounds.

The owners manual also recommends that you use Top Tier Gasoline which is not a problem as my wife and I use either Shell or Texaco stations nearby. I am running 87 octane with no issues.

My wife also has a 2.4 liter DI engine in her 2015 Hyundai Tucson and she is well pleased. Her vehicle is just over a month old.

Will see how the long term works out with the DI engines.

We had a 2011 KIA Optima 2.0T as well. No issues at all with that DI motor, so I think the long term with Hyundai/KIA DI engines look really good. That's why we went with the SF Sport 2.0T initally. Loved the engine, the size of the SF Sport was just a tad small. I'll have to say, the V6 is much smoother.

What influenced your decision to run Royal Purple synthetic, SrDriver? I ran Edge in the turbo, but didn't think it'd be necessary in a naturally aspirated V6.

Have used Royal Purple for quite awhile now. Even though it is 5W30 it still gives about the same gas mileage as 5W20 from reading their web site. May be hype but The price at Wal-Mart is not really all that bad when you buy the 5 quart jug.

As I recall Hyundai and KIA recommend quaker state oils and if you don't want to pay the price for Royal Purple the 5 quart jug of Quaker State Synthetic 5W30 oil at the local Wal-Mart runs around $20.00. There are also some other good deals on synthetic oils.

Considering the price difference over conventional oil why not use synthetic?

Have been retired for many years and much of the driving my wife and I do is short trips go by the severe service recommendation in the owners manual.

I have been using RP in our new vehicle and the results have been fantastic. There are many that call it a boutique oil, but I have had great results with it.

There's no mystery, the engines have great fuel control, the oils are so advanced now that they will easily run 7500 miles in that vehicle. I used to run mine 7500, a 2012 DI Accent and it was fine. After 7500 miles, the filter cut open yielded a clean filter within and the UOA at 7500 revealed less than half depleted via the TBN reading. A 4000 drain is a waste of oil and/or a filter, but to each their own. Not necessary, though.

Anything that meets specs and you are golden. We have seen UOAs on 2.0T, 3.3, 2.4 and 1.6 Hyundai/Kia. Some with moderate dilution and some with very little. The engines past break in show very little wear, even with some dilution. Don't over think it and use the QSGB if that's your preference. Just make sure you dont extend the oci past mfrs recommendation. Enjoy the ride.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
why did you trade the 2.0 santa fe in were you unhappy with it or just decided on a larger vehicle?

We were not unhappy at all. We stopped into the Hyundai dealer last weekend on a whim and BAM! Drove out in a new LWB. It's even the same color as the one we traded LOL. We got a loaded GLS Ultimate with every option available except AWD and rear captain's chairs for darn near what we paid for the 2.0T 2 years ago. They were literally giving them away. Needed a larger vehicle. 3 kids. 2 of them teenagers now. They were getting cramped sitting shoulder to shoulder in the back seat. When we purchased the 2.0T (about 2 years ago) the LWB was a rumor, and the dealership couldn't give us a definitive answer as to when or if it'd be released. We are huge Hyundai / KIA fans.

Originally Posted By: RamAir5
We are huge Hyundai / KIA fans.

Your story is similar to ours and how we got the Sonata. We too are huge fans
thumbsup2.gif

I think the 2014 lwb santa fe is the same size as the 2010-2013 if im not mistaken and the sport is smaller correct me if im wrong. I have a 2010 and 2011 santa fe both v6 awd and i like them a lot. They are powerful and dont get bad mileage.

Great vehicles. I work with them every day.

As for oil, Hyundai engines are not picky. They will perform admirably on conventional oils. No need for synthetics.

I like MS5K, and our shop oil, Gulfpride AFE.

Originally Posted By: salv

As for oil, Hyundai engines are not picky. They will perform admirably on conventional oils. No need for synthetics.

Thanks for the advice. We plan on keeping this vehicle for a while. I just had it back to the dealer for a tire issue (determined to be a bad belt - replacement forthcoming) and I was talking to the head tech and his advice was the same - a good quality conventional but only go out to 5k on the OCI (not Hyundai's recommended 7500). I will probably go with QSGB or Pennzoil YB and see how it works out. I'm thinking about putting a few miles on her then running a 5k OCI on QSGB and doing a UOA just to see what's going on.

Quote:
The dealer service rep advised this was not necessary as the factory fill has "break-in additives" and I should run it until at least 4k miles.

LMAO--Your dealer service rep is sadly mistaken!

Just do 5k OCI's with a tire rotation and use Motorcraft 5w-20 in red 5 qt jug from Walmart with you don't want to follow the OEM recommendations. Hyundai's have a 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty!

Quote:
I'm thinking about putting a few miles on her then running a 5k OCI on QSGB and doing a UOA just to see what's going on.

5k OCI's with UOA is a waste of money...

Last edited:
Stick with full synthetic, any brand current spec! Your vvt cams chain tensioner... will thank you.

UOA not a waste of money if it finds DI fuel dilution from driving style, or coolant from some OE defect issue.

Originally Posted By: salv

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back