Ohtsu FP7000 decent?

Need a set of 205/50R17s for cheap, and Walmart is selling these for $65 each. Seems to be produced by Falken, and handling is good. Question mark is the ride quality and NVH

Whats the application? Are you going to keep them for the full tread life or just putting new tires on to sell the car?

If I'm looking at walmart only and the price is fixed, the Douglas would likely be the one I would go for. I see loads of them on the road and the reviews are pretty good. If they were bad tires, with the number I've seen around they would have lots of bad press on Walmarts reviews.

Just understand you are buying a cheap tire so it will not ride or wear like a midline or high end tire. tradeoffs have to be made to reach a price point.

If this is your daily driver I would step it up to the General RT43 for longer treadlife, improved ride and better traction in wet. Yes they are nearly twice the price of the cheap tires but I would save years of frustration with road noise and spinning in the rain after they have worn a bit. The treadlife will be longer on these as well so you get some of your initial investment back by not having to change them as soon.

If you buy tires from Walmart, it is a good idea to make sure that you're buying them from directly from Walmart.

They'll charge more to mount and balance tires that weren't sold by them, but were instead sold through third parties such as Priority Tire or Tire Insider. They used to, I assume this is still their policy.

I also doubt that WalMart would handle any issues with the tires sold by third party vendors (out of round, won't balance, etc).

Just trying to avoid a headache up front.

Personally, I'd also pick the Douglas (past experience and the fact that it does have a warranty), but that's just me.

To answer the thread title, yes, they’re decent tires. I’d pick those over all the other tires listed as similar tires towards the bottom of the listing. For example tires from Westlake, Lionheart, Pegasus, Achillees, etc.

Reactions: JTK
I had two sets of the Ohtsu FP6000 tires on my Prius in the past and they were actually great tires but didn't last too long. I seem to remember getting ~30k miles out of a set.

I have used these before ... pretty good tire in most conditions ... better than average.
These do tend to get loud as they wear down though.
Like others said .. older falken tire designs but still good.

I also had the 950 and liked them. The 950 will be quiter and overall better performer. 7000 are usually quite a bit cheaper though.

Back