Oh No! This can't be happening to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked through the oil fill hole on my wife's 97 Maxima and there was sludge in there. I couldn't believe it! In My car!
banghead.gif
I use synthetic at 5-7k oci's and there shouldn't be any there. I'm gonna' change it and add some MMO until I can score a can or ARX. Ya' think that'll work?
dunno.gif

Have the oil analyzed.
Check for coolant, PCV function etc..
No need to start cleaning it until you know what's causing it, sludge is a symptom of something not mechanically right if you are within acceptable OCI's.

We definitely need more info. First, please describe in detail what you see, and how much of it there is. What oil, operating conditions, mileages (oil and car), etc. do you have? With what you describe so far, I'd be inclined to suspect that you've got a mechanical problem of some sort, like a bad PCV, for example. Finally, how fast did this come on. I look in my filler once or twice per week when I check oil for just this reason -- I intend to catch the slightest indication of a problem long before my engine looks like a chocolate cake. If this built up in a hurry, obviously, I'd act quickly. I also agree with sampling and doing a UOA. You might also just do a precautionary immediate oil change to get fresh stuff in there to slow as much as you can whatever is happening to your oil. Good luck.

Do let us know how this plays out. My engine is a relatived of your engine, and if there's a specific lesson to be learned, I'd just as soon learn it the easy way.
cheers.gif

It's a 97 Nissan Maxima w/ 216,595 miles on it. It has a 3.0 V-6 and my wife drives it hard. She's always late and tries to make up time by driving hard. I replace the front brake pads every 2-3 months.
There is some black gooey stuff just inside the filler hole and from what little I see inside of the valve cover is very dark, probably from varnish. it's not real bad but I wasn't expecting it. I use whatever full synthetic I find on sale but I think I'm going to use Rotella T 5w-40 full syn. It seems to use less oil with a 40w.
I Originally used GTX HM but went to 0w-40 M1 a year ogo. I tried it for 6 months, and 2 oci's, but it was using a Quart every 1200 miles or so. I changed the oil about 3 weeks ago and used ST 10w-30 full syn. I changed it a few minutes ago w/ Advance Auto 20w-50 and MMO. The oil I just drained out looked brand new. I'm probably over reacting but I don't want black gooey stuff in my engine. I figure with 216,595 miles on the car, it probably needs an Auto r/x treatment anyway.

[ October 20, 2005, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: 439SW ]

"She's always late and tries to make up time by driving hard. I replace the front brake pads every 2-3 months."

lol.gif
lol.gif

Mine too guess it is a woman thing.
I'd check the PVC valve and air intake filters top end sludge is a result IMHO of moisture and blow bye.
bruce

Good suggestions about checking the PCV valve and air filter, folks.

439SW, I can't believe you go through front brake pads that quickly, though. Are you sure the front brake pistons aren't sticking, causing drag? That'd eat up your brake pads, cause poor mileage, and place much higher demands on the engine, possibly rapidly wearing out your oil and causing sludge.

How often do you flush the brake system?

Also, that 50-weight you just put in isn't doing you any favors. If it isn't very cold where you live, I'd recommend some inexpensive 15W-40 HDEO for it's added detergency to help clean things up while you figure out the origin of the problem.

I used to replace the front pads on her Civic every 2-3 months. When she got the Maxima I drove the Civic for over 2 years w/o replacing the pads.
I'm off to bed then off to the mountains in the morning. Ya'll have a great BITOG weekend.

quote:

Originally posted by GREENDESTINY:
sounds like shes a left-footed braker.
wink.gif

Just what I was thinking. Probably keeps her left foot on the pedal all the time. You might consider increasing all your insurance.

quote:

Originally posted by wlkjr:
Just what I was thinking. Probably keeps her left foot on the pedal all the time. You might consider increasing all your insurance.

I was driving my Dad's S430 last year when I slowed to make a left turn at a stoplight....

CRUNCH!

A girl in a BRAND NEW (less than a week) Toyota MR2 Spyder totalled the car right in back of Dad's Mercedes.

Forget about replacing brake pads so often - tell your wife to maintain a safe following distance from the car ahead, or take her keys and introduce her to the joys of public transportation.

Sounds like you need to teach your wife how to drive... someone like that misusing equipment is likely to hurt themself, others, and will just cuase a reoccurrence of problems... as they are the problem, and no amount of LC or ARX can fix their driving skill.

JMH

slow down guys you might have this boy divorced by the end of the day!

just tell her how many shoes and dresses she can buy if the brakes didnt have to get changed every 3 months and sit back and watch that foot come off the brake right away.

quote:

Originally posted by 439SW:
It's a 97 Nissan Maxima w/ 216,595 miles on it. It has a 3.0 V-6 and my wife drives it hard. She's always late and tries to make up time by driving hard. I replace the front brake pads every 2-3 months.
There is some black gooey stuff just inside the filler hole and from what little I see inside of the valve cover is very dark, probably from varnish. it's not real bad but I wasn't expecting it. I use whatever full synthetic I find on sale but I think I'm going to use Rotella T 5w-40 full syn. It seems to use less oil with a 40w.
I Originally used GTX HM but went to 0w-40 M1 a year ogo. I tried it for 6 months, and 2 oci's, but it was using a Quart every 1200 miles or so. I changed the oil about 3 weeks ago and used ST 10w-30 full syn. I changed it a few minutes ago w/ Advance Auto 20w-50 and MMO. The oil I just drained out looked brand new. I'm probably over reacting but I don't want black gooey stuff in my engine. I figure with 216,595 miles on the car, it probably needs an Auto r/x treatment anyway.

A quart of oil in 1200 miles? Around these parts, we'd call that engine "worn out." Once you start getting oil consumption and blowby there's no telling how quickly the oil will get contaminated and I don't think PCV systems are meant to remove that level of vapor.

quote:

Originally posted by 439SW:
I looked through the oil fill hole on my wife's 97 Maxima and there was sludge in there. I couldn't believe it! In My car!
banghead.gif
I use synthetic at 5-7k oci's and there shouldn't be any there. I'm gonna' change it and add some MMO until I can score a can or ARX. Ya' think that'll work?
dunno.gif

Sounds like ARX and shorter OCIs are in your future. Seeing as your wife drives like shes's running Daytona, your OCIs and vehicle maintenace should reflect that. I'd drop down to 3000 and see how it goes. Your car is definitely under severe service as long as she is behind the wheel. LOL

[ October 21, 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: 99 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back