OFFICIAL: Ford F-150 “Lightning” EV

It's really cool to watch the Lightning use 16% of it's battery going up an 8 mile hill, then regain 7% on the way back down. A casual look at the energy consumption towing uphill was about 2.3-2.4KWh per mile. These guys do a good job with their testing.
Does that pencil out to around 50 miles worst case scenario towing a grade?

The TFL driver's reluctance to use the brake pedal on either the Lightning or hybrid surprised me as it shouldn't make any difference. I can't find an exact reference for the Lightning quickly but the F-150 Hybrid has a special regen-integrated braking system that transparently mixes regen and friction brakes to obtain maximum efficiency. It would not be using friction brakes in the conditions shown in the video, which these guys seem totally unaware of. Did I miss something in the video where they indicated otherwise?
I would be shocked if Ford didn't use this system on the BEV version as well. From this reference regarding the hybrid:
Stepping on the brake pedal begins the braking process and the truck’s various control units determine and blend the right amounts of regenerative braking and hydraulic braking. Regardless of the blending percentage, the driver does not notice anything different in vehicle dynamics or operation.
Other than Tesla and the Mini-E many mainstream EVs have such a system that allows the car to be driven normally without re-training pertaining to avoiding touching the brake pedal.

The TFL driver's reluctance to use the brake pedal on either the Lightning or hybrid surprised me as it shouldn't make any difference. I can't find an exact reference for the Lightning quickly but the F-150 Hybrid has a special regen-integrated braking system that transparently mixes regen and friction brakes to obtain maximum efficiency. It would not be using friction brakes in the conditions shown in the video, which these guys seem totally unaware of. Did I miss something in the video where they indicated otherwise?
I would be shocked if Ford didn't use this system on the BEV version as well. From this reference regarding the hybrid:

Other than Tesla and the Mini-E many mainstream EVs have such a system that allows the car to be driven normally without re-training pertaining to avoiding touching the brake pedal.

seemed to me there was no point in using either brake pedal enhanced regeneration braking or pushing further into the mechanicals because the trucks lift off regen controlled the decent speed. It regenerated just enough at zero pedal to keep speed from rising.

seemed to me there was no point in using either brake pedal enhanced regeneration braking or pushing further into the mechanicals because the trucks lift off regen controlled the decent speed. It regenerated just enough at zero pedal to keep speed from rising.
I think they mentioned as well that they thought the battery on the Hybrid was full. If that was the case, there wouldn't be anywhere to dump the reclaimed current. Not like a train that has a massive bank of resistors to shed the dynamic braking into. Might have been different if they'd run the hybrid battery down beforehand.

The energy density in a battery which can handle towing truly scares me. Gasoline.... spill it on the ground, it just sits there until it’s provoked, and it takes a little effort to light it. A battery is a few miles of impossibly thin material separated by a few miles of another impossibly thin material to avoid touching a few miles of oppositely charged impossibly thin material that wants nothing more than to react and destroy. the potential for a full on plasma incident is so right there. To store the juice needed to tow the 10mpg equivalent that a nice 30+ gallon gas tank provides is insane. I DO see a bev in our future, but I think it will begin in sedan territory.
Or maybe it won’t have a battery at all one day

From the fast lane truck vid.

126KW

So far this is the highest rate Ive seen one charge at.

For such a big and empty battery this isnt competitive. Id think with eth extra cooling they could beef this up to at least 200-250 for a short while to get some miles under the minutes curve.

15-20 min is a competitive stop time in an EV on a road trip.

This thing should be acing the fill test.

Update - a lil better 170 - still off the leaders a good deal

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 3.17.23 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 3.17.23 PM.jpg

UPdate - lil better. 170

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 2.46.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 2.46.59 PM.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Assuming it can maintain 170KW charge rate between 20 and 80%, providing 81KWh in 30 mins, and 160 miles highway range at 69MPH.arious sessions

From the snippets I am gathering from various charging sessions it does not appear that it will.

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 9.52.00 AM.jpg

Interestingly I saw my first one on the road about a week ago in Belle Fouche SD the after noon after seeing truck with at least 2 on it get off of 90 in Spearfish in the morning.

I would not think this would be the ideal location for one, but have also seen a Rivian amongst the 3/4, 1 ton and flatbed masses...

Negative, just the first I've seen in the flesh... at least up close. The one I saw on the road was silver, so they must have gotten 2.

It had a "not for sale" sticker on the window so I guess it is a demo of some sort.

Also - Not as big of a fan of Antimatter blue as I thought. ...

230miles, figure 1/2 that towing. I can’t even make it towing a boat to water and back. Hard pass. Still a novelty.
The Tv watchers fall for what their Tv tells them to fall for. The vehicle is a tool it replaces the Horse for transportation. A Thoroughbred won't work well when a draft horse is needed to do the job,,, A 1 inch wrench will not work well where a half inch wrench is needed.

Just gotta be smarter than what you see on TV ... don't be a zombie. 😄

Lightning battery pack is serviceable to replace modules 👍🏻
They are going to need that serviceability! Pouch cells are not that reliable and bloat is always a factor with them. It is no surprise Ford limits the charging rate.

What I found interesting in that video is just how poorly the space was utilized. Tesla does a far better job with this.

Back