Off Brand Oil

I'm open to learning something new here, was walking through my local Rosauers an saw this oil on the shelf, first thing I thought was "What kind of off brand oil is this?" , "Who bottles this stuff?" and "Is it any good?"

I8Ie4CT.jpg

8chkhu7.jpg

This stuff also comes in a full-synth...
yXXPEWL.jpg

ub1LH9I.jpg

Whats y'alls thoughts?

It's likely blended and packaged for Topco by a regional blender.

Topco has been a grocery store supplier for regional chains for a long time. I remember as a kid, Topco was the house brand for Hinky-Dinky grocery stores in the Omaha, NE area.

Given the sales NAPA has on NAPA synthetic ($15.49/gallon), I am not sure there is a compelling reason to buy off brand oil. Maybe for a beater or 20 yr old mower?

I would expect the SAE to take exception to that "SAE 30W" on the first one since SAE winter viscosity ratings only go up to 25W and they are very particular in what marketers put on labels following their acronym.

Given that TOPCO is a legit grocery marketer and the oil is API SN graded, it is fine.
No one seriously purchases oil for an oil change in a grocery store. They never have enough on the shelf to do an OC, and it is priced out the wazoo.
This oil would be fine as a top off. It is strictly a convenience purchase.
If I'm on a trip and need something to top off the car, maybe. Other than that, pass.

One thing you’ll notice when you watch the PQIA lists of bad oils going along is this. It’s always brands you never heard of SOLD AT GAS STATIONS AND MARKETS. They aren’t typically bad but often barely up to rated snuff or poorly And or misleadingly labeled . That’s reason enough to stay away right there and just get name brand on sale at Wally World .

I would expect the SAE to take exception to that "SAE 30W" on the first one since SAE winter viscosity ratings only go up to 25W and they are very particular in what marketers put on labels following their acronym.

Good catch. If they cannot get the label right then what else did they screw up on?

One thing you’ll notice when you watch the PQIA lists of bad oils going along is this. It’s always brands you never heard of SOLD AT GAS STATIONS AND MARKETS. They aren’t typically bad but often barely up to rated snuff or poorly And or misleadingly labeled . That’s reason enough to stay away right there and just get name brand on sale at Wally World .
As mentioned earlier, it's intended purpose is for people who are low on oil and just need one or two quarts in an emergency. Probably for the oil burners out there and those that suddenly have their oil light on in the middle of a trip and the store is 24 hours and Walmart is either too far or closed.

So, per the owners manual for my vehicle:
- Honda genuine motor oil
- Premium grade 0W20 detergent oil with API Certification Seal on the container...actually has a picture of this symbol in the owners manual.

1603817680219.jpeg

I don’t see this symbol on those bottles pictured above...wonder how important that is???

Given the sales NAPA has on NAPA synthetic ($15.49/gallon), I am not sure there is a compelling reason to buy off brand oil. Maybe for a beater or 20 yr old mower?
The target market for this stuff is the driver that just pulled into the gas station with an oil light coming on and they're far from home.
I speculate that you'd likely buy it too instead of letting the sump run dry.

The target market for this stuff is the driver that just pulled into the gas station with an oil light coming on and they're far from home.
I speculate that you'd likely buy it too instead of letting the sump run dry.

I would go with cold pressed extra virgin olive oil if really desperate for oil.

Back