OEM Tire experience and shopping for new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife drives a 09 Honda CRV. The OEM tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/T 470. I brought the car into the dealer at 23,000 miles for a oil change. They checked the tires and commented before the snow flies I should buy new tires, which I already knew. The tires were always rotated at 5,000 miles. The review's have always been bad on these tires. So I decided on the Michelin Defender tires as a replacement. I shopped around for the best price. Honda dealer was $825, Discount Tire $828, Costco $763, Tire Rack shipped to my door was $737 and would still have to pay install and all the other fee's. Finally decided on local Ford dealer where I had bought my 04 explorer from. Out the door price with road hazard was $660. Felt really funny to drive the Honda into the ford dealer for new tires. The tires so far ride great and are really quiet. I can now hear myself think they are so quiet.

Last edited:
Amazing how poorly they lasted. Our 08 vw OE tires are cracking, but have >50% tread at 42k miles.

Wow!
Ford dealers take the shopping out of shopping for new tires. Great for folks who are too busy to waste time researching replacement tires.

Originally Posted By: kwijibo
My wife drives a 09 Honda CRV. The OEM tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/T 470. I brought the car into the dealer at 23,000 miles for a oil change. They checked the tires and commented before the snow flies I should buy new tires, which I already knew. The tires were always rotated at 5,000 miles. The review's have always been bad on these tires. So I decided on the Michelin Defender tires as a replacement. I shopped around for the best price. Honda dealer was $825, Discount Tire $828, Costco $763, Tire Rack shipped to my door was $737 and would still have to pay install and all the other fee's. Finally decided on local Ford dealer where I had bought my 04 explorer from. Out the door price with road hazard was $660. Felt really funny to drive the Honda into the ford dealer for new tires. The tires so far ride great and are really quiet. I can now hear myself think they are so quiet.

I have tinnitus so quiet tires would not be good for me.

Felt really funny to drive the Honda into the ford dealer for new tires.

don't feel too weird, I Drove my Dodge to the Ford Dealer to have them replace my Japanese Tires made in Virginia(Yokohama); with new Italian Tires made in Brazil (Pirelli).
then sat in the waiting/showroom wearing my Mopar T-shirt.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Felt really funny to drive the Honda into the ford dealer for new tires.

don't feel too weird, I Drove my Dodge to the Ford Dealer to have them replace my Japanese Tires made in Virginia(Yokohama); with new Italian Tires made in Brazil (Pirelli).
then sat in the waiting/showroom wearing my Mopar T-shirt.

Dealer don't care so long as you pay!!

The Defenders are supposed to be a good tire, though fuel economy may not be up to the OEM LRR tires.

Let us know how the tires are in 10,000 miles. New tires will always feel smooth, squishy and quiet for the first 5,000 miles or so.

Is this 2009 CRV AWD??

I realize factory tires tend to be pretty lousy, but having to replace them in only 23K miles is insane.

Joel

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The Defenders are supposed to be a good tire, though fuel economy may not be up to the OEM LRR tires.

Let us know how the tires are in 10,000 miles. New tires will always feel smooth, squishy and quiet for the first 5,000 miles or so.

So True ! Especially when I replaced bald tires with less than 1-2/32" tread depth, new tires feel so much better.

Down in So Cal we have no measurable precipitation from May until Nov-Dec, so many here drive on bald tires in summer months, and don't have to change tires when rain starts around late Nov early Dec.

With Mike Rowe doing FORD advertisements, the latest ad that I saw on TV stated the FORD has the best price on tires compared to the local competition. I'm thinking that the local competition is any local tire dealer or car dealership, Hmmm?

Originally Posted By: JTK
Is this 2009 CRV AWD??

I realize factory tires tend to be pretty lousy, but having to replace them in only 23K miles is insane.

The OEM Bridgestones are particularly poor on these vehicles. The other OEM tire on these, the Continental 4x4 Contact, is measurably better, but still not very long-lasting. My in-law's 2011 CR-V has the Contis, and they're half worn at about 20,000 miles. They'll probably safely last to 30k or 35k.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The OEM Bridgestones are particularly poor on these vehicles. The other OEM tire on these..

I hear you. Bridgestone Turanzas came with our 2008 Honda Odyssey LX and although they had decent tread life left, they were useless in the snow with ~24K miles on them.

I was more curious if this CRV was AWD. That being the case, chances are high those tires would have been livable for another year.

FWIW, my 2012 Legacy came with Turdanzas
frown.gif
. They're OK given the AWD. With quality snows, she'd be unstoppable provided it had the ground clearance.

Joel

Last edited:
The OEM tires on our Fit were shot after 25k miles. I'll likely get 40k miles out of the OEM tires on the Cruze since those are proven to be 2/3 tread from the factory. Surprisingly enough, after looking at other tires, I just may stick with the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires on the Cruze. They work well enough on that car, and are looking like they'll hit their treadlife warranty mileage.

To answer JTK's question yes it is the AWD 09 CRV. I knew I would be replacing them early because at 12,000 miles the service adviser at the Honda dealer stated the tire tread was half gone. He also stated the average life for this tire for the cars they service is between 20,000 to 25,000 miles

I find it somewhat entertaining that OEM tires are typically mediocre at best. You would think the automakers and tire makers would want to equip new vehicles with the best tires available instead of something that is just adequate enough to get the customer around for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I understand fiscally why they do what they do. Something tells me that the customer's overall impression of the vehicle and tire brands would be better with something as mundane as better tires.

Interesting.
Our Forester came on 225/55/17 Yoko Geolander G-95s, which I'll replace at 50K.
The tires are now at 49.5K.
The tires are still decent, and were I the primary driver, rather than my wife, I'd rotate them and drive them another 10K.
Too bad Honda cheaped out on the tires.
Subaru didn't.

Originally Posted By: ryster
I find it somewhat entertaining that OEM tires are typically mediocre at best. You would think the automakers and tire makers would want to equip new vehicles with the best tires available instead of something that is just adequate enough to get the customer around for a while......

Actually, there is another consideration - Fuel Economy.

Tires pay a role in fuel economy, and the vehicle manufacturers know this - and they also know that customers tend to buy based on fuel economy.

So the vehicle manufacturer sends out specs on what a tire is supposed to do - and typically, rolling resistance is a high priority. There is also a traction requirement.

Since rolling resistance, traction and treadwear are a technolgy triangle where improvements in one area have to be obtained by sacrifices in one or more of the others, once those 2 parameters are set (RR and traction), it's more or less a given as to how the treadwear is going to be.

Tire manufacturers either comply with the specs or they don't supply tires. It's the OEM who is driving this and not the tire manufacturer.

Please notice that OE tires do NOT carry a treadwear warranty - a sure sign that this is a known issue.

OE tires are generally engineered to give low rolling resistance and to wear like iron at the expense of all else. The Assurances on my Magnum were some of the worst tires I have ever driven on...but they went 65,000+ miles!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Amazing how poorly they lasted. Our 08 vw OE tires are cracking, but have >50% tread at 42k miles.

Did a brake job on an Elantra this morning that had bald Chinese tires...brand begins wit a S ?? Neighbor said they were maybe 2 years old at most, cracks looked downright dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back