OEM replacement key suppliers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to pick up another key for my Mitsubishi. The design has the key-less entry and alarm buttons integrated into the key's head. I want to get another of the same design. The dealers around here are all asking $250+ out-the-door, including ~$50 for programming. Clearly, they've all lost their minds...

I can quite easily program the key myself. Heck, the procedure is given in the owner's manual for crissakes!!! Charging for, and needing to do, the reprogramming seems to be the normal routine for all of the dealers. It certainly says a lot about how few people bother to actually read their manual.

Anyhow, who here has dealt with any of the online providers? Who was it and what was your experience, good or bad? Would you do business with them again? Any help would be much appreciated!

Chances are even if you find a key outside the dealership you still need them to program it.

Ask them if they have an aftermarket option.

I bought a backup for the Jeep from the dealer. They wanted $80 for the "Jeep" key, or $45 for the aftermarket one.

The company that makes mine is ILCO, I beleive.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Chances are even if you find a key outside the dealership you still need them to program it.

I've found outside suppliers for the key, I just don't know anything about the companies. Some are kind of vague about who,and where, they are. I'd just prefer to do business with someone who's shown a positive track record. Better safe than sorry, as they always say.

Programming a key isn't a problem, as I stated. My Mitsubishi owner's manual gives detailed instructions on how to program a new key, whether it's a transponder or non-transponder key equipped vehicle. Mitsubishi's list price on the actual key may be high, but I've otherwise got no complaint with how they handle key replacement. They really couldn't make it any easier, for those who bother to read their manual, that is...

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Ask them if they have an aftermarket option.

I bought a backup for the Jeep from the dealer. They wanted $80 for the "Jeep" key, or $45 for the aftermarket one.

The company that makes mine is ILCO, I beleive.

Sounds about right. The key for our expedition used to be $60 now it's only $45. And the remotes are like like $200 and $120 because they are Viper aftermarket alarm/remote start units.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think these fancy keys are a money-making racket, along with styled headlamps, botique transmission fluids, and Dexos. I believe they ultimately cost to consumer a lot more in key replacements than the money they save by preventing theft. They'll do anything to make a buck.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Clearly, they've all lost their minds...

No, they're pretty sharp. They're conning people into paying $300 for something that should be under $10.

I absolutely LOATHE modern keys with those giant fobs, and even the fat plastic key heads that just have a transponder chip are a pain in the butt. A key should be a flat piece of brass, and I can carry 10 of those in the pocket space that one of the stupid fobs takes up.

In your place, I'd go to a reputable local locksmith and buy the replacement key, then re-program the car for it. You'll probably pay a bit more than you would from a no-name online supplier, but you've got a business with a visible face and reputation to talk to. And it will be less than the stealership charges at any rate.

For my Ford, Just got on E-Bay bought 2 for $25 and programmed them myself without any problem.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I've found outside suppliers for the key, I just don't know anything about the companies. Some are kind of vague about who,and where, they are. I'd just prefer to do business with someone who's shown a positive track record. Better safe than sorry, as they always say.

Programming a key isn't a problem, as I stated. My Mitsubishi owner's manual gives detailed instructions on how to program a new key, whether it's a transponder or non-transponder key equipped vehicle. Mitsubishi's list price on the actual key may be high, but I've otherwise got no complaint with how they handle key replacement. They really couldn't make it any easier, for those who bother to read their manual, that is...

OK. I know a lot of new vehicles also require the actual vehicles computer to be programmed to the new key and it HAS to be done by the dealer. Glad ou can do it yourself and save some $$$. I agree with the guy ^^^ who said it is just a way to rip us off these days.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I think these fancy keys are a money-making racket, along with styled headlamps, botique transmission fluids, and Dexos. I believe they ultimately cost to consumer a lot more in key replacements than the money they save by preventing theft. They'll do anything to make a buck.

My '98 Monte Carlo had only one VATS key and I wanted a replacement. The local GM dealer (who will be closing down for some reason) wanted $150. The local locksmith wanted $30. I bought a couple of generic keys on ebay for $6 each and my local mom-and-pop hardware store cut them for free. They work great.
Of course they are a money maker.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
For my Ford, Just got on E-Bay bought 2 for $25 and programmed them myself without any problem.

I have done the same. Successfully.

Just curious, does Mitsu require you have both your original keys to program a third? Have read some makes are like this, if you only have one key you need to visit the friendly dealer.

Mercury is like that with my mom's 01 Sable where you need two keys to program a third, or else pony up $30 more. I thought I'd get ahead of the game by buying a thrd key, since my mother loses keys. Twice already I've had to buy keys, and couldn't program them because one of the keys went "bad", even though they can start the car.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Just curious, does Mitsu require you have both your original keys to program a third? Have read some makes are like this, if you only have one key you need to visit the friendly dealer.

If the car uses a transponder key, then yes. For a non-transponder equipped car, no.
thumbsup2.gif

It's a huge rip-off, but on most of the new cars you don't have a choice. Acura has recently started using "sidewinder" keys that require a special machine to make. (I think the machine itself cost thousands of dollars, and our parts department is mandated to buy one, it's basically a mini metal lathe)

Losing a key these days can cost you hundreds of dollars. And the local hardware store can't cut most of them anymore. What a scam.

Keys are a dying thing anyway. Keyless start is the future trend for cars. All you will have is a remote with a transmitter. Which will also cost hundreds of dollars, of course.

Building a '32 Ford coupe (from new parts) for daily use and all its simplicity is beginning to look more appealing every year.

Have you tried finding a Mitsubishi dealership that sells parts online?

Last year, I purchased a remote master key, a valet key and a bottle of leather cleaner and a bottle of leather conditioner from an online Lexus dealership for less than the local dealership wanted for just one key with programming.

I programmed the transponder and the remote functions myself (which is an exercise in weirdness).

Last edited:
As someone who is driving an '89 car that could unexpectedly die at any point in time, I shudder when I read these kind of threads. Is it not possible anymore on a new vehicle to simply get a metal key that opens the locks and starts the engine? I've used this system successfully for over 30 years, I don't see any need for remote controls. What happens if the battery in your remote control gadget dies out and you're in BF Egypt and the car is locked up?

Originally Posted By: Cogito
As someone who is driving an '89 car that could unexpectedly die at any point in time, I shudder when I read these kind of threads. Is it not possible anymore on a new vehicle to simply get a metal key that opens the locks and starts the engine? I've used this system successfully for over 30 years, I don't see any need for remote controls. What happens if the battery in your remote control gadget dies out and you're in BF Egypt and the car is locked up?
thumbsup2.gif
I hate how there are now only the drivers door and trunk that have a keyhole. I'm still wondering how BMW does it in the flat tire scene of Transporter 1 where he just pushes the button on the trunk itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back