OEM Honda vs Aftermarket OEM Flywheels

zmelli

Honda wants $180 (Best Price on-line) shipped to my doorstep for a Flywheel. Exedy OEM replacement is only about $120 shipped.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2390106&cc=1167218&pt=5348&jsn=266

How do I justify the extra money for the OEM part? would the OEM Part be built with better metal, would it be balanced better?

What are your thoughts and experiences. Maybe there is a Flywheel insider on the Forum.

Thanks.

Solution
I bought the Exedy direct from their website. Reply from Exedy:

Subject: RE: EXEDY USA - FWHDA01

Thank you for your interest in Exedy products.

This flywheel was an OEM product that we produced for Honda. It would be the same exact tolerances as what you would purchase from the Honda dealership.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know.
When I did my 1998 Accord, I used a flywheel from Advance Auto and it ended up being like $30 with a 20-off-50 coupon code. You can't get deals like that anymore... This was in 2012, now the same flywheel is $88, and I don't know about coupon codes.

BUT I had no issues with that cheap flywheel. I probably would have been fine keeping the original, tbh.

Not sure how things are for your '93 Accord, but my recent clutch job on a Suzuki SX4 included the installation of an LUK kit which included nothing but Exedy branded parts. The flywheel, the clutch disc, the pressure plate: all Exedy. I forget what the slave cylinder was, but it was quality.
That’s a fairly common practice for the aftermarket clutch makers - if they don’t make OEM, they’ll buy from the OE supplier if they can. I’ve seen Valeo’s Korean parts in a LUK clutch kit for an Infiniti G35/Nissan 350Z.

It's funny how your 93 Accord has followed some of the same issues my 96 Civic has! I just did this last year. I did compare Honda's price (insane) with Exedy's price (about $80 before inflation hit). Turns out when the original stock Honda flywheel was removed it has the exact same casting marks as the Exedy! More digging and I found out that Exedy is the supplier to Honda, well one of them, the major supplier.

If you get the Exedy you're getting the same flywheel Honda charges more for! The pilot bearing is already installed and it's the same Japanese brand as Honda. I'd be skeptical about buying it from RockAuto, too many odd things others have found and for me too many damaged products from that place! Check out Exedy's USA site, I bought mine directly from Exedy!

I went looking for your 93 Accord.. found it! Flywheel is $124 directly from Exedy. Here's the link..

And when I was replacing my flywheel I was also upgrading the clutch.. I went with a Exedy Stage 1 clutch. No more mushy, numb feeling clutch, more positive engagement and it's only a slight stiffer than oem, in other words, it feels normal now! I don't know how I put up with the mushy stock clutch for that long! I should've done this upgrade a long time ago.. But the flywheel is excellent, balanced, smooth, cannot complain..
I bought the Flywheel Directly from Exedy. It ended up being a better price than Rock Auto! Even after the 5% Off Code.

This flywheel was an OEM product that we produced for Honda. It would be the same exact tolerances as what you would purchase from the Honda dealership.

I bought the Exedy direct from their website. Reply from Exedy:

Solution
I bought the Flywheel Directly from Exedy. It ended up being a better price than Rock Auto! Even after the 5% Off Code.

awesome! yup see even Exedy will admit it's the same flywheel in the box! Isn't it crazy that Honda puts the Exedy part in a Honda box and all of a sudden it's worth that much more?! Honda is getting really crazy with their prices lately and I have seen it for awhile now. Not just recent inflation. I remember taking the chance last year but then found out it's the exact same part. This isn't like some of the oem parts rejected by an oem supplier that found their way into an aftermarket brand's box. I've found that on some parts re-boxers but the difference here is, this is made by Exedy for Honda. I know awhile back Honda had an exclusive agreement in the contract with suppliers where only Honda (not the supplier too) could sell stuff but your 93 and my 96 probably old enough for that contract to have expired.

I'm also happy for ya that you got it cheaper than Rockauto! very cool! :giggle:(y)

Are you also thinking of upgrading/replacing the clutch and pressure plate?

IF the oem part gave good service- why quibble over a few bucks. My old Toyota flywheel is discontinued and was $600usd, any aftermarket is chinesium- not acceptable. I found a reboxed nos on ebay for $40. Not worth buying used and resurfacing.

awesome! yup see even Exedy will admit it's the same flywheel in the box! Isn't it crazy that Honda puts the Exedy part in a Honda box and all of a sudden it's worth that much more?! Honda is getting really crazy with their prices lately and I have seen it for awhile now. Not just recent inflation. I remember taking the chance last year but then found out it's the exact same part. This isn't like some of the oem parts rejected by an oem supplier that found their way into an aftermarket brand's box. I've found that on some parts re-boxers but the difference here is, this is made by Exedy for Honda. I know awhile back Honda had an exclusive agreement in the contract with suppliers where only Honda (not the supplier too) could sell stuff but your 93 and my 96 probably old enough for that contract to have expired.

I'm also happy for ya that you got it cheaper than Rockauto! very cool! :giggle:(y)

Are you also thinking of upgrading/replacing the clutch and pressure plate?
I ordered a Discontinued here in the States Clutch Disk from AMAYAMA Japan. It should be the good Fuji Disk, we will see. I bought a Honda Pressure Plate, taking no chances there, I actually had a Pressure Plate go bad before, Clutch was intermittent, strange symptoms.

Genuine Honda (22200PT7013)​

Japan93.4110.66

Cool.. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.. Keep us posted to the results. (y) I know with my 96 Civic the stock clutch was way too mushy, numb.. I had to upgrade it to a stiffer stage 1 clutch. But when I drove a 94 Accord (back in the day, new), that stock clutch was fine, not mushy at all. I think your 93 had the same clutch.

Back