oem honda oil filter update

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
A PPL14459, is that a Purolator? I know the Proline is their commercial filter operation, but it's not the same as the L or PL14459.

"PPL" = Pep Boys ProLine. ProLIne is Pep Boys house brand and oil filters by that name are made for the chain by Purolator.

As to pgtr's worry that the entire end diameter of filter paper pleats isn't sealed, it doesn't have to be. As long as the filter paper ends are at least sealed to the center tube and end cap where they all join, and the edges of the single sheet of pleated media are clinched and sealed to each other, no filterable nasties are going to make it into the center tube and through the outflow port into the engine. Fram's much maligned paper endcaps are only joined by adhesive/sealant to the entire diameter of the filter media pleats as a means to achieve mechanical strength from the pleats themselves as a buckling preventative.

(I've often wondered, if stiff cardstock paper endcaps are so terrible, why is soft paper filtering media alright? And flimsy toilet paper filtering media, too? Oh well, I guess I'm just stupid...)

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
(I've often wondered, if stiff cardstock paper endcaps are so terrible, why is soft paper filtering media alright? And flimsy toilet paper filtering media, too? Oh well, I guess I'm just stupid...)

I've asked myself that same question more than once after watching all the Fram bashing that's going on
smile.gif

I only ever cut open one Fram filter. The cardboard end caps were firmly bonded to what there was of the media. I haven't seen anything here to support the objections to cardboard end caps. Nor have I seen anything to convince me that Frams filter just as well with less than third as much media as the comparable AC. there is some evidence that filters are mostly useless, in which case Fram's deficiencies shouldn't hurt.

I only cut open one Fram because I was so disappointed with what I found, I haven't bought another one since. They cost as much or more as otheers that look better to me inside. I will examine any data on them objectively.

boyd is correct. I have all three PT7, POH, and PCX filters on my parts shelf. All have the same can diameter and length and gasket position.

The biggest difference is that the PCX (S2000) filter "feels" like it has higher quality, it's a bit heavier/stiffer. Tap it and it rings!

When I use up my older PT7/POH filters, I plan to use the S2000 filters on the Element and CRV too.

I paid only $6.19 per PCX filter from HandA... lists for $10.31. Who's paying $15?
shocked.gif

[ November 23, 2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: S2000driver ]

The reason I do not stray from Honda filters is that I cannot directly compare flow/pressure profiles and bypass valve operation for different filters. This information is simply not available!

Yes, I want the best components possible in my filter. However, unless I have the information that matters MOST to the lubrication system of my vehicle, that is (1) flow/pressure profile (2) bypass valve opening pressure, and (3) anti-drainback valve operation. I'm not trying something different just because it looks better built.

The way I see it, it is better to have the right amount of lubrication where and when it's needed, than to worry about exactly how many particles the oil has in it... what does that matter if it isn't reaching the place it needs to be!

No intention here to start an arguement, but the information is available if you know where to look. Tech support at WIX website or any filter manufacture's website will send you all the tech data you want. Also you can go to any auto parts store that carries the filter you're interested in and they're certain to have a product catalog which would provide all needed data.

However, as I stated in my last post, I believe the Toyo Roki filter is a good filter and would most likely do just as well over 100,000 miles or so.

Trust me, if you look at WIX specs you would find that the WIX provides more than adaquate flow with very good filtration to boot.

S2000driver: I have found better prices on line, i.e. I'm not paying $15. Actually I'm still using WIX as I'm not comfortable with filtration ratings of Honda's OEM filters: Honda OEM

While I realize this information doesn't mention the PCX-004, I can only assume that the PCX has similar stats. I've searched the web for information on the Honda Toyo Roki filter only to come up empty-handed. The Toyo Roki website doesn't post specs for these filters.

Overall though I believe the S2000 is the best Honda OEM available and should do a good job.

quote:

Originally posted by Virtuoso:

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:

I've asked myself that same question more than once after watching all the Fram bashing that's going on
smile.gif

Don't want to hijack the thread -- and certainly don't want to start ANOTHER Fram thread -- but I think the issue for me has always been, if I can get something sturdier made with metal endcaps for the same or lower price, why wouldn't I? I have no evidence that Fram's cardboard endcaps have any kind of detrimental impact whatsoever, but when it costs me just as much to get metal instead, the question is moot.

quote:

Originally posted by guile:
No intention here to start an arguement, but the information is available if you know where to look. Tech support at WIX website or any filter manufacture's website will send you all the tech data you want. Also you can go to any auto parts store that carries the filter you're interested in and they're certain to have a product catalog which would provide all needed data.

However, as I stated in my last post, I believe the Toyo Roki filter is a good filter and would most likely do just as well over 100,000 miles or so.

Trust me, if you look at WIX specs you would find that the WIX provides more than adaquate flow with very good filtration to boot.

Yeah, the problem is that most of the NA Honda filters are not as well made as ANY Toyo Roki filter!!

Also, note that the Honda filter information clip above shows the A01 new filter part number (FilTech), and not the A02 or A03 parts made by Fram....

Hummmmm

Does anyone have definitive data that clearly shows the quality of Toyo Roki filters, or is this simply a "gut" feeling based soley on visual inspection?

At least with WIX technical specifications can be verified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back