Odometer says "Error" - 2008 Jeep Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

After cleaning some acid / corrosion of a negative battery terminal, I reconnected my battery cables to the battery. Now my odometer says 'Error' all the time. Otherwise, my 2008 Liberty runs fine.

Has anyone run into this issue on a Jeep? Does anyone know why this happened? And better yet, how do you fix this?

Thank you.

You can try the turn-key-codes procedure to see if it will reset. If you are not familiar with it, turn the key on then back off three times within 5 seconds, just far enough to turn everything on without actually engaging the starter. The last time you turn it off it should give you codes, or in your case maybe it will reset.

If that doesn't work I'd try disconnecting the battery again for over 30 minutes before reconnecting it.

If that doesn't work the Liberty Forum on Jeep Forum should be able to help you.

KCJeep... OK. I tried your key trick, but nothing happened. Previously, I tried disconnecting the battery for a full hour, which also did not work.

Also, I tried pushing-in the Trip Odometer button for several seconds. This did show me the labels for "Var 1" thru "Var 15", but I did not see any corresponding values. (Not sure what to do to view them.) Plus, I do not have a decoder book to tell me what they would mean either.

Last edited:
Next time, you may want to try holding the + and - battery terminals together to drain the power from the system, while both are disconnected from the battery.

Do you have the owner's manual? If not, you can download here: http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/

Edit: after looking at the owner's manual, if the power drain doesn't work, I don't know...dealer may be involved. Did you do anything in addition to cleaning the battery terminals? Did water enter anything under the hood?

Last edited:
Disconnect the battery again, leave it off for 10 minutes, reconnect and see what happens.

I have had the battery disconnected a few times now. The longest time being for an hour. And so far, nothing has changed. It still says 'Error'.

Well, my Jeep was fine before I cleaned the battery terminal. Hopefully, the re-flashing of the PCM will solve it. But, since I do not have a scanner/programmer tool, and it seems like you need the right one to do it, then it looks like I need to go to the dealer.

I will post my results from the Dealer, likely in another day or two.

Or, if anyone comes across other solutions that worked, please let me know.

Thanks everyone.

By your own professional grade scan tool. They aren't that expensive and you will use it a lot more often than you think. One of the best tools (if not the best) I have ever bought.

Hello again. Well, it took me a bit longer until I could get to the dealer, but I got it fixed now.

Yup... they needed to reprogram the PCM.... for $62.

One interesting note... The mileage read exactly where it left off at. So, I now have a few extra miles on it that aren't on the odometer.

They did mention there were some other software updates available for the computers, but I would have to pay for them too. (Not interested right now.) But, they did say one of them may help a lag when shifting around 45 mph.

Wow.....looks like we are going down a very dark path with car manufacturers. Now we have to pay for software updates that they originally caused these issues SHOULD take care of it for free in the first place. Especially when it had to do with safety or in this case mileage where on a title you have to state that the mileage is true and correct. But with dodge, chrysler products you really never know. Well buyer beware!

Originally Posted By: Ranger1
...They did mention there were some other software updates available for the computers, but I would have to pay for them too. (Not interested right now.) But, they did say one of them may help a lag when shifting around 45 mph.

Wow, gotta love the stealerships. 'We have computer updates but you will have to pay.' What a crock! They had to do a reflash because of a silly glitch in the system they built, and then charge you for it. They could have just as well added the updates at the same time and use as good will. I'd say amazing but hardly surprised any more by garbage like this.

Glad you got the odo fixed, sorry you had to pay.

A cheap scan tool off eBay can be useful in these situations, but having an odo that does not record distance traveled could be very appealing to the opportunist who wants to sell their 'low mileage' vehicle 5 years down the line..

Originally Posted By: Ranger1
Hello again. Well, it took me a bit longer until I could get to the dealer, but I got it fixed now.

Yup... they needed to reprogram the PCM.... for $62.

One interesting note... The mileage read exactly where it left off at. So, I now have a few extra miles on it that aren't on the odometer.

They did mention there were some other software updates available for the computers, but I would have to pay for them too. (Not interested right now.) But, they did say one of them may help a lag when shifting around 45 mph.

A software update??
33.gif

When did they start doing this to cars??

The only software updates I can condone are the ones I program into my MegaSquirt.

But for the average joe off the street software updates can only be a good thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back