2008 Liberty odometer reads ERROR instead of miles.

I changed my water pump yesterday, uneventful for the most part until I started the engine and saw the odometer reading ERROR. I checked the fuses, they're good. I had to remove the battery to get access to remove the fan, it appears this can happen when removing a battery. I did some searching and uncovered this locked thread LOCKED from 2004. In any event I was hoping someone here had a way to avoid the dealership. Thanks

if you cant find anything on YouTube or on the forums, it probably needs a dealer level scan tool.

That's what I'm thinking, although hoping otherwise.

Last edited:
I did a brief search on Google. It seems that the fix is either a dealer PCM flash or a new cluster. I did not see any other fixes unfortunately.

Don
Thanks, that's what I came up with. I'm leaning toward a PCM flash. I did something @Trav had suggested which showed the cluster was working. The problem is I'm at the mercy of a dealership, my Jeep Ace is no longer around.

I got a CEL showing P0480, which is for the radiator fan. I did change the water pump. I will be checking connections etc. after vacation. I hate loose ends but things happen. I doubt the fan code has anything to do with the odometer reading ERROR, but I have to check into it. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks, the problem is that isn't going to flash the ECM.
This program people are using to change odo reading and add codes to computer as they update. It is a dealer level program for Mopar products. IE add trailer wiring then program vehicle for the activation.

This program people are using to change odo reading and add codes to computer as they update. It is a dealer level program for Mopar products. IE add trailer wiring then program vehicle for the activation.
Unfortunately I have no choice other than to go to the dealer. I'm going to reach out to a few of my management buddies from my car sales days and see if any of them are working at a local Jeep dealer, or know someone. That totally slipped my mind, and will make it a zero stress visit.

Back