Odd overheating issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1997 Monte Carlo with the 3.1. The intake gaskets were replaced about 3(?) years ago.

A few months ago, it pegged the temp and blew cold air. I changed the thermostat (NOT an easy job) and the problem was resolved.

The problem recurred a few days ago. The oil looks fine, coolant might have been down just a bit, no white exhaust. No noted leaks. The water pump is about two years old. The belt is good, I see no slipping.

While driving, the car wil appear to be heating up appropriately. I will start to get some warmth from the heater, and suddenly it will be cold and the temp will shoot up to max. Just as suddenly, it may resolve.
In fact, I drove to work yesterday and averything was perfect. When driving home, the issue happened twice, but resolved by the time I was half-way home.
It may be coincidence, but I wondered if coolant wasn't reaching the thermostat (secondary to a bubble, obstruction or low coolant), so I hit the brakes hard and made a sharp right-hand turn. I figured it might force the coolant to the thermostat-side of the engine. Right after I performed this maneuver, the issue subsided.

I have exchanged some of the coolant, topped it up and burped it repeatedly. When I replicated the problem in the garage, the top radiator hose was of course cold, the fans ran ok.
I did notice some very gentle bubbling in the overflow tank while the engine was running, maybe 1 bubble/second. I replaced the radiator cap.
At one point, when the problem occured over a prolonged period, it nearly overflowed the overlflow container, but it sucked it all back in overnight.
There is another potential clue. I was replicating the problem, and burped the system via the port on the crossover tube which is hear the water pump. A lot of air was expelled, and the issue resolved. (For reference, I have jacked the front of the car up in order to help expel all of the air).

I'm not sure if it is losing coolant. It may have lost a bit yesterday, but I will need to keep a close watch.
I have the issue narrowed down to the thermostat, an intermittent blockage behind the thermostat, air in the system, leaking intake, leaking headgasket/cracked head.

The intermittent nature is throwing me.
I devised a radiator cap with a pressure gauge (to see if exhaust gasses are pressurizing the cooling system) which I will try tomorrow.
Almost forgot to add: prior to the intake gasket repair, I had added some Bar's stop leak (the black colored rhizex pellets), and have expelled some of it. I wondered if it could be causing an intermittent obstruction.

Ok, I need some BITOG help! Whaddyathink?????

Last edited:
I vote for air trapped in the system, or a bad head gasket. Compression gases could be entering the cooling system causing the gauge to peg.

with the quality of some thermostats these days it could be that... Usually if it was the headgasket you would still get heat until all the water/coolant needed is gone and most of the time the engine will get hot when driving on the highway at speeds over 50 very fast and wont get so hot driving slowly so quickly...
I am assuming you bled the system correctly that will cause that too..
we dont see a lot of those heads crack for no reason they are pretty good heads we see them a lot here in the shop because there are so many of those engines still in service.. that does not mean it cant be the problem

Sounds like air is getting into the cooling system for sure and then gets trapped. First I would pressure test the system and go from there. these areas come to mind. Water pump front seal that allows air in on the intake side or hoses to it, Cylender head hot spot causing locized boiling. Scal floating in the radiator that causes intermintant pluging. Hopuflly not a Head gasket but, a good possibility.

I would vote head gasket or cracked head, although I am sorry if that is the case.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I vote for air trapped in the system, or a bad head gasket. Compression gases could be entering the cooling system causing the gauge to peg.

There is air in the system , for sure.
If you JUST did gaskets, it was not filled up properly.

But this was 3 years ago. Sorry, you most likely have bad head gasket or head.

You are correct.

I build a home-made pressure-checker out of an old radiator cap. Noted the pressure was fluctuating to well above the limits of the cap. Ominous finding.

Took the car to a trusted mechanic (the guy is excellent) who confirmed with positive exhaust gasses in the coolant. He stated the leak is fairly mild--just enough to introduce air and prevent the t-stat from opening and coolant from flowing through the heater core.

Oh, well. Time for a new car!

Thanks for the help, folks...
Bob

didja burp it?

there is a little tiny screw on the hard coolant bypass line that you remove and fill until it overruneth.

Oce you do this and get it stable, look for coolant going, you have the 2nd gen SFI 3100 right? with the embossed intake area gaskets? whole lotta fleas in there

Yeah, went through the entire burping process--repeatedly, only to have more air introduced into the system.

The exhaust sniffer test is essentially 100% accurate when you get a positive result.

I would replace the gasket myself, but it is terribly cold outside, my garage isn't heated, it has been many years since I've practiced as a wrench, and I need a car quickly.

If you bled it, +1 on the head gasket. You can buy exhaust gas detection fluid at your local parts store, you just jam this tube looking thing into your coolant reservoir and rev the engine up. If there are exhaust gases present the fluid will turn from blue to yellow. Takes a large amount of random guess work out of the equation.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...amp;dir=catalog

There are many cheaper versions available.

Go get a coolant reservoir exhaust gas test kit at Napa $30. This will nail down to fact that EX gas is entering the cooling system in minutes. Easy to use.

Or, you could spend a couple of dollars more, and buy a bottle from steelseal.com . Some 90% successrate. It's worth a try, if you don't want to spend several hundred dollars, getting it fixed at a garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back