Odd Grease Question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mop

I changed my CV joints on my nissan a lil while ago.

The grease within the Outter CV's was as you would expect 8 year old 55K grease to look, dark gooey & a wee bit runny ..... The grease from the internal CV's was like Mayo.... I had a good close look at it.... Scratched my head got lotsa rags scooped it up cleaned it all out & re-made those joints with AMSOIL "NLGI #2" ....... Come to think of it I used the same stuff on the outter joints too.... Pretty & red....... Anyways ..... I was wondering if the internal joints had some different kind of grease than the outers...... To be honest the mayo type stuff didn't look or really have the consistancy of emulsification..... It just looked plain odd

What do you guys think ?

It was probably the same to start with. I sounds like it was contaminated with water which would turn it into "mayo". I don't think I would use a standard NGLI #2 grease though. Most CV joints I have seen use a moly fortified NGLI #0 or #00.

My Amsoil dude assured me it would be up to the job..... Time will tell.

To be honest the old CV's were OK but the boots were shot....... I bought a pair of patern cv's & boots for the price of some oem boots...... So I just swapped the lot out. I have used this companies stuff before & its fine

Ya only get two flavours here ..... Complete axle or replacement CV ..... I've never had teh bearing outta one to change em .......
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back