OCI in the "new normal"

I think it matters how those 750 miles were driven. If they are mostly short trips, or otherwise the engine did not spend much time at full temperature, I would still change the oil/filter annually. But (when it is driven) if it's getting to full temp and staying there for 15+ minutes, I would go 18 months between oil changes. The point is that certain types of driving are considered severe service and require more frequent oil changes.

Sorry friendo but where in this thread did you see me asking for anyone's advice or opinion? You got me mixed up with someone else which is what a real blowhard does, they jump the gun. And twice a year is unnecessary in this case. Waste not want not.
Who’s counting? This is the new normal

I'll weigh in as I am in a similar situation (working from home during COVID social distance period) : I last changed my Sonata 2.4L DI engine oil (PUP 5W30) around last March when things changed due to COVID . Since then I have roughly 2,500 miles driven (mostly short trips - occasionally 20 to 30 minutes trips). I decided I'll change the oil / filter at the one year mark OR 3,750 miles severe schedule (which ever comes first . It may not be ideal - but hopefully puts me in the ball park of taking decent care of my Sonata DI engine .

Most of my driving was commuting to work. I had been averaging 12k miles per year on both my car and my truck. I was switching between the two and put 6k on each per year. Because of Covid-19, last March my company directed me to work from home full time and the way they are sounding it's likely to be permanent. Since then I have put 750 miles on my car.

I normally would change the oil on my car late May/early June. By that time I'll only have about 1,200 miles on the oil. Do I still change the oil at that time or is that wasteful?
In your case, I would change oil on miles, not time. At your present pace, run it another year and see what has accrued by then. Myself, I would wait till 4k has accrued.

Most of my driving was commuting to work. I had been averaging 12k miles per year on both my car and my truck. I was switching between the two and put 6k on each per year. Because of Covid-19, last March my company directed me to work from home full time and the way they are sounding it's likely to be permanent. Since then I have put 750 miles on my car.

I normally would change the oil on my car late May/early June. By that time I'll only have about 1,200 miles on the oil. Do I still change the oil at that time or is that wasteful?
Well I used to just do a April/October OCI on the Toyota and a October to October on the Duramax. With the luxury of the Government lock down now I've been running longer changes. Toyota oil has been in since June a little over 3300 miles it will get changed late this spring. The Duramax was a year in October now has 900 and something on the oil. It will get changed this spring as well. Neither of them have seemed to suffer but I could just be in denial or the beginning throws of Alzheimer's.

As long as you occasionally get oil nice a hot like hr drive or more to keep it free from water condensation specially during the winter months i would say your throwing money out of window changing it by Time in the vehicle its not needed. When you get little twitchy about how long its been in the pan why dont you take a sample after long drive and send it off to black stone...im willing to bet they will say its perfect sample...1200 miles isnt nothing for modern oil.

We picked up the Leaseon Sentra in January 2020. It got used for DD duty for 3 months and that was it. Only have 3700 miles on it now. Most of those miles I've put on it doing walmart runs, picking up food, or trips through the McDonald drive through -- really don't like sitting in the drive through with the manual in my vehicles.

It does get short tripped but every other week it does get run up to temperature. Once every other month it makes it out to my parents' house and back.

We are planning on buying it off lease. I did an initial change at 2000 miles or so back in April. I am just going to do yearly changes with ST 0w-20. That's all it needs AFAIC.

Back