OCI for MaxLife Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be a reasonable starting point for this oil in a high mileage vehicle in good mechanical condition that see's mostly highway miles, 6k?

What's your vehicle?

I ran 5w/30 Maxlife blend to right under 7K and it retained TBN at 3.2. That was a 03 Toyota Corolla that's pretty easy on oil though.

If you are under warranty, stick to factory recomended service levels as always.

If it's a HM vehicle, I doubt we're talking about any factory warranty anymore.

BTW if you go to a Valvoline oil-change outfit, they will make you change the oil at 3k miles even with maxlife blend, no matter what car you have...

Last edited:
6,000 miles all highway with Maxlife would be very safe IMO. I'd confirm via a UOA with TBN, but it likely could go the factory recommended highway interval with ease, which is usually 7500 miles.

Maxlife blend does have a bit higher TBN then regular conventional oils, and we've seen plenty of UOA here to confirm it has decent TBN retention. Not Mobil 1 EP/Amsoil type TBN/long drain capable, but more then your average conventional oil.

I planned to pull a sample for a UOA at 6k, but I am not that familiar with this oil as I normally run M1 or PP in my other vehicles.

It is just a work /winter beater, and I may still switch over to M1 or PP, but I have a small stash of Maxlife that I picked up a while back on sale and figured this would be a good time to use it.

Originally Posted By: jhenle

BTW if you go to a Valvoline oil-change outfit, they will make you change the oil at 3k miles even with maxlife blend, no matter what car you have...

dang, how do they MAKE you do this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jakegday

They threaten to use Pennzoil on the unsuspecting public!

lol.gif

They don't make me, but they do make the unsuspecting public by putting stickers on the windshield, and even calling your home phone and sending you letters in the mail that you're due for a change. I'm not making this up, they do.

lol, i believe it. a place in town used to send my ex wifes grandma a letter telling her it was time to get her oil changed. she did it every time the letter came. because of that, she changed her oil roughly every 300 miles. her grandson had the opportunity of taking the car in one time and the guys told him it was by far the cleanest oil they've ever let out of an engine.

i believe it was a late 80s or early 90s tempo. mint condition besides the paint damage caused by years of sunlight

They don't make me, but they do make the unsuspecting public by putting stickers on the windshield, and even calling your home phone and sending you letters in the mail that you're due for a change. I'm not making this up, they do.

Yeah my mom has Durablend in her new car and they put 3k on the window sticker LOL...idiots

I was actually wondering about this for myself. I figure 3k miles on the first fill is good, then switch to the 5W-30 and run it to 5k miles each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back