OCI for HDEO in PCE ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I want to hear from the folks who are running conventional ("dino") heavy-duty ("diesel") engine oils in gasoline-powered ("passenger car") engines.

If this describes you, tell me what your oil change interval durations are & why you feel this is the longest you can go.

cheers.gif

I use Delo 400 15-40 in my 1995 Wrangler for 3000-4000 mile intervals. The vehicle is used frequently off road in dusty conditions.

Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 in a Volvo 740 (gas) turbo. 3,750 mi/6 mo OCI. Cause that's what the owner's manual says.

I use Mobil Delvac 1300, Shell Rotella T, and Shell Rotella Syn in several gas engines. I have found that a 5000-10,000 interval in the summer (depending on type of driving). From 2000-4000 interval in the wintertime depending on the type of driving. I used UOA to determine when the insolubles and TBN are out of whack. Since UOA aren't cheap, I now eyeball the color of the oil to determin when to change it. I know it isn't scientific, but it really works pretty well. All of these are very good oils, but I only use Rotella Syn 5w40 in the winter because the 15w40's are just to thick.

tpi,
Have you decided on the short intervals due to the dusty driving conditions? And do you know whether or not your internal dirt levels are high from your driving style?

Mike242GT,
How's this oil been holding up for you in a gasoline turbo application? Have you had anything apart to know if the oil's coking or sludging at all? Is this engine one of the known Volvo oil abusers?

wwillson,
I'm running 10k mi OCIs year-round in all of my engines (both N/A & turbo). I'm guessing my climate is similar to yours, so I'm figuring I'll use something comparable to a 5W-40 all the time. What sort of variances have you noticed with these oils when comparing different seasons & driving styles?

Thanks for the replies guys!

cheers.gif

Jason,

Yeah, I'm really curious about the new D1/M1 T&SUV oil! (Can we decide on a new acronym for this stuff?? Maybe M1D ("Mobil 1 Delvac") ??) This sounds like a much better way for me to go than the 50/50 mix of M1 0W-40 & M1 15W-50 I'm currently planning for the next interval in the 9³. I'm just about ready to dump Auto-Rx into this car's oil, so I still have about 3 mos to think about it before I'll have to decide between my planned mix & M1D.

Since the other two Saabs are N/A, I think I can get comparable protection (for less money) over 10k miles with a 50/50 mix of M1 0W-40 & D1300S 15W-40. (This reasoning is why I posted this question in the first place.) I was planning on using straight Rotella syn 5W-40 in both of these cars, but I've got so much M1 0W-40 on-hand that I really don't want to buy more oil & have this stuff hanging around for the next two API service upgrades!

w00t!
grin.gif

Greg, are you thinking of using Delvac 1/M1 T&SUV?

I'm thinking of using that... I wonder how it does in the winter though.

At 40°C, D1 is 102 cSt, thicker than what I've used before--M1 0W-40 is 80 cSt at that temp, and GC is only 68.5 cSt.

Is that a big difference? Who's running D1 this winter? Maybe I should be looking at CCS numbers instead.

cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:
tpi,
Have you decided on the short intervals due to the dusty driving conditions? And do you know whether or not your internal dirt levels are high from your driving style?

Thanks for the replies guys!

cheers.gif

Yes, shorter intervals due to dusty driving conditions. No analysis, just gut guess based on use. The Jeep is now seeing about 5,000 miles per year but isn't seeing a lot of short trips.

Eiron asked:
"How's this oil been holding up for you in a gasoline turbo application? Have you had anything apart to know if the oil's coking or sludging at all? Is this engine one of the known Volvo oil abusers?"

I haven't done a UOA on this car/oil combo. The car is a 1991 with about 203K on it. I'm in the second phase of a "double" ARX application. I bought a case of the Valvoline PB when my local Wal-Mart closed it out at $1/qt. When it's gone, I'll probably go back to Chevron Delo 400. The engine has never been apart, but I don't see any indication of sludging in my limited field of view through the filler cap. I think it must be some of the later Volvo engines that abuse oil; this is a "red block" B230ft engine which are known to be very durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back