OBESE Driver - Cause Driver Side TIRE WEAR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I'm just under 300 lbs and always sit in the drivers seat when getting an alignment.

Never heard of doing that, but what a great idea!

Just got an alignment on Thursday. Though about bring the pug to sit in the passenger seat too as that is the normal load for the car.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mehullica
The camry doesn't have "150 lbs" factored into the alignment specs. The gas tank runs across evenly on both sides under the rear seat area. The repair manual from Toyota shows to set the alignment without anyone sitting in the car. This "frameshop " is full of idiots.

Absolutely true. Friend needs to get a print of his alignment. May need to counterweight, or put some weight in drivers seat when alignment done. It can significantly change the alignment.

I can attest to this personally, and logically, as I've watched said scenario my entire life.

I've watched 2 women who are morbidly obese drive a combo of vehicles (one the same vehicle for 10 years, 40k, and 2 sets of tires

It just doesn't make a difference. Not checking air pressure or grossly out of whack toe would make more of a difference.

Ya' see, much of this depends on the vehicle. If the vehicle's camber (or worse, toe!) is greatly affected by weight, then you see uneven tire wear. But if the vehicle's camber isn't much affected by weight, then you won't.

Most vehicles I have seen have camber affected by ride height. Unfortunately...there is no was to adjust it on way too many vehicles!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Most vehicles I have seen have camber affected by ride height. Unfortunately...there is no was to adjust it on way too many vehicles!

Actually, EVERY alignment parameter is adjustable, but it might take a special plate or an eccentric bolt.

Don't ever let an alignment tech say he can't adjust the alignment. What he is really saying is that he either doesn't want to charge you for the parts or is too lazy to install them.

When I have my work van aligned I have it aligned with the equipment and materials used for a typical job in their places. There is no point aligning a work vehicle empty then loading it up. Someone mentioned getting an alignment done while he sat in the car. That is a good idea IMO especially in a smaller vehicle if the weight of the driver is a concern.

330# here and I have not noted abnormal wear.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Actually, EVERY alignment parameter is adjustable, but it might take a special plate or an eccentric bolt.

Don't ever let an alignment tech say he can't adjust the alignment. What he is really saying is that he either doesn't want to charge you for the parts or is too lazy to install them.

A previous girlfriend had a piece of [censored] Suzuki Aerio. The alignment shop tried to pull that [censored]. They said they didn't have access to eccentric bolts for that vehicle. I think I ordered them on Amazon since they were so common for that piece of [censored] car and the did the job right.

Last edited:

Off the top of my head:
Neons, only toe is adjustable. (Camber is not, the fix for it is not reliable.)
My Dakota, only toe is adjustable. (Any parts to change camber-if they existed at all-went NS1 a while ago.)
My Cherokee, only toe adjustable.
My F-350's, only way to change camber is to bend the axlehousing!
Any TTB/TIB Ford, the only way to change camber is by changing ride height, which often would mean replacing the springs.

Off the top of my head:
Neons, only toe is adjustable. (Camber is not, the fix for it is not reliable.)
My Dakota, only toe is adjustable. (Any parts to change camber-if they existed at all-went NS1 a while ago.)
My Cherokee, only toe adjustable.
My F-350's, only way to change camber is to bend the axlehousing!
Any TTB/TIB Ford, the only way to change camber is by changing ride height, which often would mean replacing the springs.

I think it would be more accurate to say that [insert alignment parameter] is not adjustable unless you get a [insert special device] - and that was the point I am trying to make. EVERY alignment parameter CAN be adjusted, but it might require something to make it adjustable.

One more time: I owned two trucks (Now that I think about it, three, actually) that could have camber adjusted only by bending the axlehousing.

One more time: I owned two trucks (Now that I think about it, three, actually) that could have camber adjusted only by bending the axlehousing.

True, but solid rear axles don't need to be adjusted unless they get damaged in some way (and I'm not including race cars where bending the axles is not done for wear purposes.)

Last edited:
On front wheel drive cars the only way usually to adjust castor is to mover the engine cradle back and forth. On my Taurus I could get about 1.5 degree more forward castor this way.

On my RWD Genesis Coupe I don't think there is much play at all in the subframe mounting or you would have to make changes to the drive shaft and rear diff cradle.

I think it’s possible that the car only needs a good alignment and corner balance. That is if the toyota in question has the proper range of adjustability to corner balance and align.

Your friend’s problem is most likely caused by improper vehicle static corner weights.

Car needs to be setup for how it’s used.

True, but solid rear axles don't need to be adjusted unless they get damaged in some way (and I'm not including race cars where bending the axles is not done for wear purposes.)

*facepalm*

No, this was the FRONT axle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back